Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St Patricks Day Parade Sunday, Mar 15 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St Patricks Day Parade is scheduled for 2:00 PM this Sunday, March 15, beginning at Sixth & Michigan. It will proceed to 14th Street.
Any suggested viewing spots?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most true Irishmen won't make it out of the bar room to see it.

(Hey, I'm 1/64th Irish.)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More St. Patrick's Day happenings....

Painting of the Shamrocks, Friday, March 13, 2009, 11am. Lunch provided; cash bar. Sponsored by the Gaelic League (2068 Michigan Ave. ) the United Irish Societies Officers, Parade Grand Marshal, this year’s Maid of Erin, and the Court of St. Brigid paint traditional shamrocks on the Parade Route. Meet at the UIS Plaza at the corner of Sixth and Michigan Ave.

St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Royal Oak, Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:30am. The Norman O'Brien Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians hosts this annual event in downtown Royal Oak. The parade starts at Royal Oak Middle School and proceeds south on Washington Ave, turning west on Seventh Street and ending at Lafayette. This year's parade includes some 35 parade units and 500 participants! Call (248) 320-9534 and speak with Deacon Timothy Renaud, Chaplain of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, Norman O’Brien Division, for more information. http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/ city/events.html

St. Patrick Cake Walk, Saturday, March 14, 2009, 5pm. Historic Trinity Lutheran calls all Irish persons and would-be Irish persons to celebrate St. Patrick's Day at Historic Trinity. Get a jump start on the real St. Patrick's Day, March 17 with a buffet of Irish foods, a St. Patrick's Cake Walk, Gaelic dancers, and much more. $7 for adults, $5 for persons 6 through 18, and children 5 and under are free. For information call 313-567-3100 or
800-268-3058. http://www.historictrinity.org /events.html

St. Patrick’s Day Mass, Sunday, March 15, 2009, 10:30am. St. Patrick Senior Center, 57 Parsons (behind Orchestra Hall).

51st Anniversary St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Detroit Sunday March 15, 2009, 2pm. Sponsored by the United Irish Societies in metro Detroit for fifty years, the Parade promptly steps off at 2:00 P.M. sharp! The Parade route is along Michigan Avenue in the area known as "Corktown", so designated for its history as home to many early arriving immigrants from Ireland and specifically, County Cork. The Parade covers a dozen or so blocks and passes historic Tiger Stadium and the Gaelic League/Irish American Club.
http://www.detroitirish.org/pa rade/index.html

For more St. Patrick’s Day and Detroit Irish events and information : http://www.detroitstpatrickspa rade.com/events.htm
http://www.gaelicleagueofdetro it.org/Mar-Apr09.htm
http://www.detroitirish.org

Bobl

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K: Thank you. I suspected that if this thread was started, you would add the details!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 995
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our clan will be at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull(southwest corner) any forum members stop by and say Hi

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the DPD usually pretty cool about folks w/ adult beverages on the sidewalk during this parade, or will measures have to be taken to conceal any embibbing?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My pleasure, Bobl!!

Here's another event....
Inside Detroit is hosting a Corktown Bar Tour on Friday, March 13th, 8:00 p.m. - midnight. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 day of event.
Details and online ticket purchase at: http://www.insidedetroit.org/s chedule.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, do I understand that you have assumed Django's heralded position as Lord of the Couch?

Pgn421

Post Number: 996
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- yes, stop by! Ah ha! Jameison, beer , cigars and a few hot women

Pgn421

Post Number: 997
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl- no need to conceal

Pgn421

Post Number: 998
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- yes, stop by! Ah ha! Jameison, beer , cigars and a few hot women

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a 4-mile run in Corktown starting at noon! Nothing like a 4 mile run followed by green beer and corned beef and cabbage...

Bobl

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No rain or snow predicted this year!

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, I wish I could get away to go to one of those. Ours has become so big that it's not fun anymore. It's just a big hassle.

Bobl

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guinness

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are the DPD usually pretty cool about folks w/ adult beverages on the sidewalk during this parade, or will measures have to be taken to conceal any embibbing?

Regardless of DPD's attitude that day, please be discreet, show respect for the neighborhood and clean up your mess when you leave. There's way too much "this is Detroit, no one gives a shit" attitude on Parade Day.

Timmyjohn
Username: Timmyjohn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be walking in the parade with the AOH. We are going to be giving out candy

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a proud ancestor of Ulster-Scotsmen (a Presbyterian Scotsman who moved to Northern Ireland for the Protestant colonization of Ireland). Damn those Papist Irishmen...hehe jk ('cause I know some Irish people get really uptight about their heritage).

I think I'm going...I went last year to a party at a house on Wabash, so it should be fun.

Bobl

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flag of Ireland

Drm quote: "please be discreet, show respect for the neighborhood and clean up your mess when you leave..."

Yes.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I love this event, but I never cease to be pissed off in the aftermath.

Dear suburbanite friends and neighbors,
When I venture out into your land of Hills, Heights and townships, I do not litter and leave dozens of empty cans, barf, etc. on your thoroughfares, so why do you insist on trashing my town?

I understand most parades - even those outside of the city - have litter, but I watched drunken frat boy-looking guys chug a Bud Lite (Oooooh, there's a man with taste) and then just chuck it behind him on the sidewalk. The difference is that suburban towns and cities have employees and money to clean up after such litter bugs.

Wish the DPD would issue more littering citations during such events.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was my first Detroit St Patrick's Day parade, and the atmosphere reminded me of Opening Day. The crowd was much larger than I expected, the parade itself was kind of goofy and homespun. The vibe was fantastic.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got home. My first time attending. I loved it. Much bigger event and crowd than I realized. Very fun, will attend again. (I should have worn sunscreen, my head & face are red!)

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 285
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe some of the bars that cover a full year of expenses with today's and Tuesday's proceeds should pay for a clean-up of the streets and sidewalks.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if the city and the people who live in it kept it clean to begin with people wouldn't do things like that when visiting.

Nice, stereotyping a white guy littering as a "fratboy" looking guy.

How about next time a black guy does something in the suburbs he is called a....well you get the idea.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice, stereotyping a white guy littering as a "fratboy" looking guy.

Maybe he actually looked like a frat boy. I'm white, and I don't look anything like a frat boy. Frat boys are a very specific subset of the overall white population. Another common name for them is "douchebags."

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian; I totally agree with you.
People from Detroit have no problem bashing the 'burbs but the minute you make a comment about a Detroiter...... look out!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) i too was surprised by the number of people - cars were parked bumper-to-bumper along michigan ave up to grand river 2) i expect a certain amount of detritus to be left behind after an event like today's, but the volume of garbage generated by the crowd was appalling. it was beyond carelessness, it was indignation.

[and rhymes, let me just note, that the folks who take the bus from their homes in detroit to their jobs in the suburbs have a pretty poor track record when it comes to littering. liquor bottles, cigarette packs, and fast food packaging - mainly - are indiscriminately tossed at the bus stops, and along the sidewalks to and from them. i live near a bus stop and the riders leave their litter behind every single day.]

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a sufficient amount of trash cans? It's no excuse for littering, but the more TC's the better.

(Message edited by rjk on March 15, 2009)

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, Rhymes is right. I love the parade and the atmosphere too, but many people there were acting like pigs. I saw people pulling items out of their coolers and having picnics, and then throwing the trash in the street as if it were a garbage can.. nice. I know that there are people that live in the city that trash it too, but how does that give them an excuse? Most of those people are guests in our city, and what kind of guest leaves their trash, dog excrement, and barf on the street as a thank you?

And I agree Rjk, there should have been more trashcans there. Perhaps that was the root of some of the littering.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe he actually looked like a frat boy. I'm white, and I don't look anything like a frat boy. Frat boys are a very specific subset of the overall white population. Another common name for them is "douchebags.""

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not speaking in tongues here. An example of the type of person I'm talking about:

http://thetalkingmirror.com/wp -content/uploads/2009/02/frat_ boy.jpg

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, your "fratboy" wasn't "littering" so much as he was "avoiding a ticket for carrying open alcohol." SOP when drinking in a public place where ya aren't 'sposed to be..
Doesn't excuse it, but at least somebody made ten cents on the deal.

I can't speak for the folks who toss trash on the streets..litterbugs just plain piss me off..and crowds seem to have a mob mentality when it comes to trash.
Didja see what the mall in DC looked like after Obama's inauguration?
Yikes.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures courtesy of the Corktown Historical Society... they are pretty large.

http://corktownhistoric.org/in dex.php/home/63-st-patricks-da y-2009

http://corktownhistoric.org/in dex.php/component/content/arti cle/64-st-patricks-day-in-cork town-more-pics

Corktownmark

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seemed like lots of families having a good time. Many many small children all along the route. Crowd was very well behaved during the parade, although I can't say how they were after. The Corktown Historical Society kicked in for the clean up. If you want to make a donation contact them or to buy hoodies or sweats.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first "Corktown Race". I really enjoyed it and the supporting crowd. I never participated in a race as large as this one. Unfortunately, it made me realize just how out of shape I was...sigh. The weather could not have been better for a run, however.

Gnome

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PGN, I was at the SW corner of Trumbell and Michigan and didn't see a large Dyes flag, or a stray couch.

I think Lowell needs to add some hats to his on-line store.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photos of the parade

http://1up1down-froggy.blogspo t.com/

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 984
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erin Go Braugh to ya'll.. Maybe next year I'll wake up early enuff to get down there.

Corktownmark

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics in my post number 250^^^ are (just a little) more reasonably sized now.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a blast. We were hanging outside the Lager House for most of the day. www.detnews.com/melodyblog - there are a few small cell phone photos on there.

Taj920, I'm sure all the bars did well, but I don't think they made enough profit to cover a year's worth of expenses (ha ha). I saw many people bringing their own beer or flasks and using the bars for their bathrooms.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, your "fratboy" wasn't "littering" so much as he was "avoiding a ticket for carrying open alcohol." SOP when drinking in a public place where ya aren't 'sposed to be..

Nah, he was littering. If the cops started ticketing all the tailgaters and people walking with drinks there wouldn't be enough paddywagons in all of Michigan!

Maybe some of the bars that cover a full year of expenses with today's and Tuesday's proceeds should pay for a clean-up of the streets and sidewalks.

I wouldn't place that burden on the bars. They're the ones providing restrooms that a lot of non-customers end up using, and they're not responsible for what the drunks in the street do.

It's such an upbeat crowd that there aren't many problems with fights or destructive behavior, other than the littering. Good times!

Bobl

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any interest in a volunteer Cleanup Posse next year, perhaps sponsored by Corktown bars?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a lot of volunteers picking up garbage on Michigan Ave. just a few minutes after the parade ended. Most were teenaged young people.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 815
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always prefered "Erin Go Braw(less)" over "Erin Go Braugh"

Pgn421

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- my clan had the whole lot! Did you see the 7 foot leprechan?that was me!

Gnome

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I saw a 7 foot tall leprechan with orange hair, but since I've seen large monkeys dancing at a Greatful Dead concert, I thought it was just the acid talking.

Sorry I missed saying hello, we were there for most of the parade but left early to avoid the crush. Maybe next year we can form our own group to walk in the parade. If Darth Vader can be in a St. Patty's Parade, I see no reason a DetroitYes Brigade couldn't make the same jaunt.

I didn't even know Vader was Irish, silly me. Any other Dyesers show up?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there at Trumbull and Michigan, for my first time, and only. What a wreck, all sorts of trashed people, stumbling around being stupid. I can't even imagine how traumatic the parade is to children who have to watch all sorts of drunkenness. Makes me glad I'll never reproduce. Now don't get me wrong I mean I am glad it happens and all but I see no reason to go ever again. It was just crazy.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gnome, that was darth mcvader.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6noise...

Ever go to a Rap-off. So much more civilized.

Pgn421

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- I'm sorry I missed you

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um yeah suburbanbliss I never said a Rap-off would be more civilized. I have no desire to do that either by the way. I don't think its my scene.

Gnome

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheCarl, I think you mean this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aV-0Nj7sA24

pgn, I did talk to a Santa Claus looking guy smoking some donkey dick smelling cigar. Our conversation went like this...

quote:

me, "Hey Santa you know anyone from Detroityes?"
S, "No, fuck off."
Me, "You telling me you don't know PGN?"
S, "How do you spell that?"
Me, "P-G-N"
S, "Pigeon? No, that don't fly, fuck off."
Me, "You smoke donkey dick everyday or just on Sunday?"
S, "What about fuck off don't you understand?"
Me, "Your beard's on fire."

Lucky for him I had a full bladder.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grillmaster and I watched the parade from Michigan and 11th in front of the Firestone Tire place. No problems there. Lots of clans with kids enjoying themselves.

Pgn421: I walked down to Trumbull but found only found "Kwame" and a kid who made both the Freep and News articles on the parade. No 7ft leprachaun!! Sorry I missed you.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know folks don't like the smell of cigars, but "donkey dick smelling"? now that's a first! lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.