Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » CCB « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kbaitinger
Username: Kbaitinger

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers CCB. I was there in the 70's and my son was staff at Eco-con & waterfront.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was your son's name Mike? I worked at CCB with a Mike Baitinger from waterfront. I started attended ccb from 1997-2002, and worked there from 2003-2004.

awesome place!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 593
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's CCB? City-County Building?

Andylinn

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCB (Cole Canoe Base) is one of two current Detroit Area Council boyscout camps. The other is D-A. While D-A is the largest operating ranch camp in the United States, Cole is considered by many to be one of the premier camps in Michigan, period. It has been given perfect marks by national accreditors for 30 years, and offers numerous activites such as day-multi-week canoe trips, tent and cabin camping, and full summer programming including merit badge classes. (all for low fees heavily subsidized by the local council).

As an employee there for a number of years, perhaps the greatest testament to the camps reknown and greatness is the number of out-of-state troops that attend. I remember busses hauling in, from among others, Kentucky, Tennessee for week-long stays during the summer.

The crowning moment in the weekly summer programming, is, I kid you not, after the final day of complex relay races which involve "in-and-out canoe race" and other feats, the camp costs a 2-hour flag ceremony topped off with entertainment and a 20-30 foot tall campfire.

It is most definitely that tall. I am not joking. I had to help build it every week. That is the sole reason the camp owns a fancy bulldozer with a lifting device.

Andylinn

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Cole style campfire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F ile:Campfire_opposite.JPG

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.