Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Tim Kiska's local TV news book is out « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just published, coming to a bookstore near you soon:

"A Newscast For the Masses: The History of Detroit Television News," by Tim Kiska (Wayne State Press).

The veteran Detroit journalist's 224-page paperback "examines the evolution of television news in Detroit from its beginnings in the late 1940s, when television was considered a 'wild young medium,' to the early 1980s, when cable television permanently altered the broadcast landscape."

More here from the publisher, along with online ordering.
quote:

Kiska shows how the local news, which was initially considered a poor substitute for respectable print journalism, became the cornerstone of television programming and the public’s preferred news source.

. . . Kiska shows how the local news, which was initially considered a poor substitute for respectable print journalism, became the cornerstone of television programming and the public’s preferred news source. . . . A Newscast for the Masses is based on extensive interviews with journalists who participated in the development of television in Detroit.

Disclosure: Tim is a past colleague who asked acquaintances to spread the word.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat! I liked from Soupy to Nuts, but this sounds more focused on a general history and not on specific tv personalities. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the "heads-up", I'll be adding it to my personal library, right next to "Soupy to Nuts".

Disclosure: Tim is a past grade school colleague.

Tim - now vs. 7th Grade

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was disappointed in "Soup to Nuts".
I thought there would be more meat on the bones. I guess it was like soup. Nice try though.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: