Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old News Story...Hoping for a Memory of It « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would anyone remember a news story from a few years ago in which a prostitute was found on the side of the road near Fort Street who had been beaten and burned up? A friend said that at one time it was on a show about unsolved crimes in Detroit (possibly less than five years ago). She would have been born around 1961 and had long red hair. Her only friends were those on the streets and in the local bars.

I found out tonight that she was my childhood best friend and I've been searching for any information on her. Her name was Margaret Shepherd.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the story, but just barely. I have always wondered who did such a thing. I am sorry you had to learn about your friend this way.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. She was a darling girl. So shy. I'm completely numb over it.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that on "The First 48" on A&E recently? They featured an episode from Detroit that sounds like the case you describe. I think the lady's name was Margaret, though I'm not 100% sure.

(Message edited by eastsidedame on March 04, 2009)

Moetown
Username: Moetown

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The episode is in regular rotation of the first 48 on A&E. She had been married with kids, I think the married name is Margaret Shepherd Webb.

I think the case is still unsolved, and I believe she was found closer to michigan ave in an industrial area, they found her car at a bar on michigan.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this may be the episode, it is from Season 1, episode 8 and titled Fire in the rain/Family Feud.

http://video.tvguide.com/ID/53 8740?rss=videosearch

Sorry about your friend.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear this has to be the best board on the internet to find anything and everything about Detroit.

I thank you so much for this and for helping me find her.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless you, Mashugruskie.

I'm sorry something like this happened to your friend.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, what's upsetting me about this is recalling holding her hand while swinging on our school swings and looking over at her laughing and our feet touching the sky.

I understand people dying but I guess as I get older I see my old friends as always young, innocent, and kind.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And thanks, Lodgedodger. Although she was killed five years ago, I just found out last night so it's been a rough few hours for me.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mash. I am praying for your comfort. I recently found out an old friends mom past a few years ago. I think I was closer to the mom then my friend lol. Thanks to facebook we were able to reconnect.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand completely, Mashugruskie. Something similar happened to me a while ago. If it's any comfort, I prayed she is resting in peace. I'll light a candle for her this week.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cub and Lodgedodger. I just finished watching The First 48 Hours episode about Margaret's death. I have great respect for police officers who do this and make a serious effort to piece the puzzle together. I'm glad they showed her as a mother. She was so kind. There wasn't a mean bone in her body that I knew of.

I hope she's at peace and I thank you.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heart goes out to you Mashugruskie. I hope you are able to remember her as the young friend you held hands with on the swingset.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 606
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M: Re: Your submission

"You know, what's upsetting me about this is recalling holding her hand while swinging on our school swings and looking over at her laughing and our feet touching the sky."

The next time we see a down and out homeless person, or read of an abused prostitute, we should all remember your observation. We were all born to this world as innocent children. We are all human. A nod and a smile or a kind word might make a person's day, regardless of their position in life. A dollar for coffee. Whatever.
Kindness is inexpensive and we could all offer a little more.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie, I'm so sorry for your loss, I too will light a candle for her, and you.

Maybe this summer we can plant some flowers for her in the garden.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody knows something, which is why it's good that this episode turns up occasionally. It would be nice if somebody like America's Most Wanted would pick this case up, too. All it takes is one off-the-wall call to get this maniac off the streets.

Blessings to both you and your friend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.