Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Velvet Peanut Butter is back! » Archive through March 02, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In spite of all the doom and gloom, there is some good news. Velvet peanut butter is back on the shelves at Hiller's Supermarkets.
If it is as good as it used to be, look out competition.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://velvetpeanutbutter.com/

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh. Pure. Delicious.
I grew up on that stuff. It's the Wonder Bread that we put it on that damaged our chromosomes.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5935
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to their web site, and scroll down, in the menu bar to the left you'll see a link under 'Links' to 'Velvet on the Web'. It takes you here, to the Velvet Peanut butter thread created in '07

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome!

Is it original recipe though?

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my gosh........looking at the label photo brings back memories. i used to love the stuff as a kid.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, cool... is this original formula?

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's great news. Velvet is the best!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Will definitely pick up some jars next time I'm in town.

Some good news on DetroitYes this morning.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are they manufacturing it, I wonder?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where are they manufacturing it, I wonder?"

Ypsi.

Catch22
Username: Catch22

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can still remember the heavenly aroma that surrounded the Livonia plant where it used to be made. Yum!

(Message edited by catch22 on February 27, 2009)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet also had a plant on Dexter, just north of Oakman Blvd. One of my earliest childhood memories is living on Kendall at Dexter, close enough to smell the peanut butter being made at the Velvet plant barely a block away.

Never tried the stuff though, Mom always bought Skippy, Jiff or Peter Pan.

Glad to hear Velvet is making a comeback...maybe I'll finally try some after all these years.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sold out at the Hillers I went to. Must be pretty popular.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipppeeee!!!!! My husband & I were just lamenting about it being gone at the start of this peanut linked salmonella outbreak.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I called around and found a single jar out at the Hillers on 5 Mile and Haggerty (west of 275). They put it on hold for me.

When I got out there to pick it up the lady at the Customer Service counter reported she had had 7 people come in for Velet. She added that they are expecting a new shipment any day now.

I returned home and annouced to the bride that I had a surprise for her - which usually is not peanut butter - so she was doubly surprised to see a cute 180z jar of Velvet staring back at her.

We waited until this morning to do a taste test and the results were favorable. The Velvet tasted just like peanut butter. Yep, tried it on a wooden spoon, a silver spoon, a piece of pita bread and each time it tasted exactly like peanut butter.

The difference was mainly in the texture. The Velvet PB seemed almost whipped. It was super smooth, just like velvet.

The jar cost $2.63 for 18 oz. Comparable to national brands, but more expensive than store brand stuff. I'll keep searching it out, let's hope they can get in other stores.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum! That was all we ate when I was growing up, Mom would always buy Velvet Crunchy. I gotta look for a Hiller's on the east side of Town...

Thanks again, Detroit yeser's...The last good food and beverage thread for me was the Schlitz Beer thread, Wow! is that some good beer. I took a sixpack to Hornwrecker's house one evening, and now he's hooked as well...

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit Gnome--you're the reason they were out when I stopped there at 9:30 Friday night!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sold out in Berkley when I went there Friday.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zepher, sorry about that, but when Urbanfisherman reported at 3:15 that they were sold out at his Hillers, I started to call around.

I found that one jar and the kind Customer Service lady pulled it and stuck a post-it on it with my name.

She told me that one guy offered her double if she would sell it to him. wow. Who knew that a black market trade could sprout up around PB?

http://www.hillers.com/about-h illers/locations--hours.html

For hours and locations, plus email addresses click on the link above

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the power of nostaligia, hopefully fueled as well by a "Buy Michigan" mindset. Hopefully they will expand into other grocers and offer web sales.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember the Peanut Butter Building that used to be on the corner of West Grand Boulevard and Third? It was an apartment building that had on one side a huge sign for peanut butter, hence its name. I am having a senior moment and can't remember what brand it was...it must have been Velvet, because through the haze of my memory I think I can see the "fresh, pure, delicious" kids on it....

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this keeps up, maybe they'll be bigger than before and lead to a bunch of new jobs at their facility due to increased production. I know I want some! Going to go on a hunt next weekend!

Pffft

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry East Detroit I bought that last jar in Berkley...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut butter is all the same to me, but I'll buy it, if it's local, and on the shelf.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All peanut butter is not created equal.
Velvet Peanut Butter rocks.

Pffft

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah if you'd tasted Velvet you'd know, it is nothing like Peter Pan, Skippy or the national brands. It really is an intense peanutty taste.

I always loved "Crunchy," I wonder if they're just making Creamy this time out though?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone fnd any?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All out at Hillers on Five Mile and Haggerty this morning

Pffft

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'd better put on another shift out at the Ypsi plant...

I'm glad that Hiller's is carrying stuff like this, but the cashier at the Berkley store was friendly but seemed less than interested when I told her I'd bought the last jar of Velvet and they'd better order more.