Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Kronk Boxing Legend Found Dead « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickey Goodwin beaten to death in his home.

http://www.wwj.com/Kronk-Boxer -Mickey-Goodwin-Found-Dead/395 7684

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats to bad, I have seen him fight a few times years ago. He was always the "other guy" at Kronk.
The posted story didnt mention a beating, though it did mention neighbors being upset that this happened.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sneaky P was a legend here downriver. Sad day.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he fell down stairs and had a stroke. Sad either way.

http://freep.com/article/20090 303/SPORTS18/90303103/Kronk+s+ first+star+died+of+stroke++not +beating

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him fight several times back in the old days. He was impressive as a boxer, and it sounds like he was doing some good work these days too. Sad to see him leave us.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew him at Melvindale H.S., and he was a good guy back then too. Played BB with him for a year, and he was a good kid. Glad he was able to make something of himself and then be able to give back to the community. A model for us all.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere in this house I kept the article about him and his Gym downriver.As a not so good fighter as a kid I looked up to Micky, Tommy,&Hilmer.He will be missed.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickey was one of my best friends growing up. I was shocked when his brother Frankie called me yesterday and told me the news.

Mickey will always stand out in my mind as one of the most down to earth people that I ever knew, and even though we had not spent the time together recently that we had in the past, he would call often as he could. He had a knack for making people feel special, thats for sure.

I will forever remember him training in Florida during my high school years spring breaks and just being able to go down to Kronk and see all the legends that the place was famous for.

Mickey was the sole reason for all of that.

I am proud to say that he was my friend, and wish him Godspeed in the eternity that he now resides in.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know which of Mickey's fights were at Olympia Stadium? The great website of boxing history, boxrec.com, does not list the venue for his pre 1980 Detroit bouts.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 908
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickey mostly fought out of the rec center circuit until around 1978 when he turned pro. Prior to his turning pro, these were the only venues that I can remember him fighting out of.

I will ask his brother, Frankie, when I see him at the funeral.

Res

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res, thank you in advance regarding the venues.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, I have moved back to Detroit, and plan on mking it to the funeral as well. Perhaps we can meet there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.