Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Help Make Detroit Beautiful « Previous Next »
Archive through March 04, 2009Stosh30 03-04-09  8:37 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5370
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do Not Mow - Wildflower Area signs work in Ohio. The thought of fencing around the lots doesn't appeal at all.

Other than all sunflowers maybe look for native wildflowers that are colorful but not so tall and a few sunflowers can be mixed in. Ideally these would be low/no maintenance lots.

The City of Ann Arbor grants permits to people who want to do this with their yards.

Michigan State's extension service has circa 1800 vegetation maps for the counties, too. Wayne County (.pdf) It might be worthwhile to get advice from them about what to plant.

Neversilent
Username: Neversilent

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats like saying hey never build a building cause someone might be hiding around the corner

Neversilent

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please only positive energy here

Neversilent

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JSB....
Those pictures are beautiful......

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:48 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Can we also plant spruces, evergreens, and shade trees with your project. Include benches, brick planting beds/ retaining walls, and unique lighting. Maybe install security camara in and around your project area?

You mean build a park? Maybe they could add a soccer field, swimming pool, and a refreshment stand that sells soft serve ice cream. Mmm...I love soft serve ice cream with chocolate topping.

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are all serious about this, then check out the Wayne County Conservation District. They are located on Venoy Rd in Wayne, and they have a spring sale where they sell native trees, shrubs, grasses, and wildflowers in bulk and for cheap. This is probably the best option if you are all serious about this.

Check out http://www.waynecd.org/plantsa le.html

Hurry though, because the deadline to order is April 1st and pickup is April 22-24.

Neversilent

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DC...
The only email I have of hers is through myspace under liberated books
I go to wayne if you let me know where I could go and speak with them that would be great as well

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of two sites that have just opened up. I'm pretty sure they're owned by jonna lofts, but the two lots on Garfield are prime for planting. Jonna just demolished one of the burned out buildings and has now started renovating the other. They may plan on making one of the lots parking for the renovated one, but I'm not sure.

On a side note, one of those lots is located where the proposed midtown loop will go. I heard that it's supposed to be started this spring, is there any truth to this?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neversilent, I'm not being negative. Just saying that there are reasons for keeping weeds and fields mowed.

You might want to check out the Georgia Street garden thread here, they could possibly be interested? Cub?

Also curious why this project was not an option for you in Mt. Clemens or Clinton township?

(Message edited by stosh on March 04, 2009)

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bamboo is invasive in MI. My neighbor had to dig a deep trench around her patch and install some type of barrier to prevent it's spread and it's still showing up in spots around her back yard. It's beautiful but so are a lot of invasive plants. I have seen Bamboo spread from yards in the south and become a total nuisance, growing along creek banks unchecked and destroying native plant life. It may be a great plant for many uses, but it invades much worse than Purple Loosestrife from what I have seen. It's not necessarily great for all geographic locations.

Neversilent

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think these projects could be started pretty much anywhere you just gotta be determined and hope people help.....

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neversilent,

You didn't answer Stosh's question. He asked why you wish to do this is Detroit as opposed to your own community.

That's a valid question because too often in Detroit good intentions cause more harm than good. I think people, rightly, have a natural skepticism about anyone who saying I have a great idea for Detroit that I'm not going to try in my own backyard.

I have no doubt your intentions are admirable and certainly beautification projects are worthy but Stosh's concerns about well maintained fields in an urban environment is completely valid.

Detroit is a big city, or it's supposed to be anyway. A lot of people seem to think making Detroit "rural" again is a good idea. I couldn't disagree more. I think this urge has a lot to do with the migration of southerners and rural people from Appalachia to metro Detroit. Frankly it's a part of this region I don't like. If I wanted to live in a place that resembles rural West Virginia, I would move to rural West Virginia.

Parks, community gardens, and the like are wonderful but cities should remain, at their essence, cities. Never mind the absurdity that Detroit is become rural while farmland and green fields are being plowed over to create an alternative for the built structure that's been abandoned in Detroit.

And again everyone understands your intentions are good, there's no reason to get defensive because someone politely criticized your proposed solution. If I may offer an allegory: my great uncle died in his late sixties from a very treatable form of cancer. His chemo treatments were tough and his daughter/my cousin convinced him, at a critical point in his treatment, to give up chemo and try some homeopathic foolishness. By the time he realized that water doesn't retain memory of an ancient drop of zinc, the cancer had spread too fast to make a recovery. My uncle died too young and in a painful matter because his daughter, while well intentioned, is dumber than dirt.

Accept Stosh's (and others) constructive criticism in the good faith in which they are offered. They are only attempting to help you mold and shape your idea for maximum effectiveness. By ignoring them or attempting to dismiss them (as you did in your response to his direct question) only betrays your own insecurity.

Neversilent

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benfield and Stosh
Thanks for your thoughts...
First off I am just a messenger I was not an originator of the plan but do support the idea, so I do not know why Detroit was chosen...I don't think anyones intentions are to turn Detroit into West Virginia,. But a small lot of flowers, next to broken down buildings and such would be nice, I think they would compliment each other in a way. Too much of Detroit is covered with unmaintained property and land were just trying to bring some color and nature into the mix. If you go to alot of major cities you will see this. Such as New York, and Chicago.....As for the bamboo idea there are many different kinds and can be maintained quite easily, the idea behind bamboo are the environmental benefits..I am very sorry about your great uncle Benfield I believe as well all should be considered before action, but small lots of flowers throughout the city does not pose a major threat to anything or anyone. The idea is to adopt and maintain what you can , so I doubt there will be hundreds of extra large lots of sunflowers. Just some color to much grey.... Thanks for the criticism

Neversilent

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stosh,
Also I didn't mean to come off as defensive, I am thankful for your input, and thank you for the recommendation of the Georgia Street Garden....

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please try and contact the Georgia Street Collective. Their thread can be found here, blog is : http://georgiastreetgarden.blo gspot.com/ They can give you some guidance in this. At the very least, explore the potential for remeditation of contaminated lands through planting sunflowers and other plants. That in itself is worthwhile. Maybe volunteer some time over there if you wish. They can always use some serious help there, from what I've read.

Neversilent

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Stosh

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benfield

I would like to respond to your and Stosh’s question.

I can appreciate some of what you’ve said, and I respect your opinions.

However, I am one of those Appalachian people that migrated to Detroit that you find so offensive. In equal values, I hold—both, Middlesboro, Kentucky, and Detroit Michigan, very near and dear to my heart, each within its own respect of its very unique region.

I love Middlesboro because of the beauty and the memories of my Appalachian mountain home, and I love Detroit because of its beauty and the memories of my inner city home.

I love everything about my heritage,
and have never once desired to make one like the other.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, there is nothing on the planet like the beauty of the city, and I would not trade those memories for anything. However, it is this kind of thinking that has kept our precious neighborhoods burdened with vacant lots that remain unoccupied and burned and abandoned houses that are a danger to the people.

What on earth is wrong with trying to add beauty to a run down place that no one wants to move to anymore? Why not try to restore some beauty. Instead of the trash being piled on the curb, and barren lands. There are so very many wonderful people that still reside within the city that would welcome such a project. Maybe some folks might just want to come back some day.

And as for me, I have a personal reason for wanting to see my old neighborhood be alive once more with neighbors that care about one another and children playing without having to worry about being shot. I am not stupid to think this sort of thing can be done over night, but I have faith that the good people will prevail if we all do our part. Even if it is only planting a flower where you once played or went to school.
God Bless you Benfield, and God Bless Detroit
Johnnie Sue Bridges

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benfield, no matter how many empty lots appear in Detroit, it's still a big city. Instead of seeing the city as what we want it to be, let's look at what it is and work from there. Planting flowers in a blighted lot is not going to turn us into West Virginia. It's going to turn us into a more colorful Detroit.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. I am helping to plan this project. There are different sizes of sunflowers. The lots I am adopting for this project are closer to Cooper Elementary and as most know is wide open urban prairie. Its hard to get permission from the owners for these lots (very secretive). So I will be gorilla planting them. I also have plans for a couple lots of wildflowers and small species of sunflowers with taller ones in the middle near the gardens. Trust that the planners are doing research and have a safe plan and instructions for adoptees to follow, but we all know you cant police everyone.
Also perma culture classes are on Wednesdays from 6pm to 8pm. Spirit of Hope Church 1519 MLK at Trumbull.

Thirdheart
Username: Thirdheart

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has not been a rural area for over 300 years. I do not think that planting a garden, whether it be wildflowers, sunflowers, bamboo, trees, or vegetables, will turn this urban area back into farmland. Besides, if someone wants to build where a lot has been turned into a garden, let them. Isn't that how Detroit turned from rural to urban in the first place? A few years ago, before I became handicapped, my late husband and I planted a vegetable garden on 35th street in the vacant lot next to us. We shared our harvested vegetables with our neighbors. I would love to see that kind of sharing during these rough economic times. I may not be able to dig in the dirt anymore, but I sure can donate seeds and plants. Adding a little color to Detroit is not going to hurt anyone. Oh, and by the way, the south is part of the United States also, I do not appreciate any unkind remarks about our neighbors to the south,north east, or west.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Thirdheart! :-)

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never Silent - SEAL is an environmental group on Wayne State Campus. We have multiple committees within the group - one being Sustainability which deals with things such as what you are talking about. Search for "Student Environmental Action Leaders" on Facebook, and click on the group that shows up. Send us a message with, I dunno... "Turning vacant lots into Urban prairies" (or something better...) I'll be sure to let the Sustainability Committee head know that this is how she can get ahold of you.

Samjkra
Username: Samjkra

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could we best make Detroit beautiful? Discard Monica Conyers and BRC (and her tiara). Things will begin to sparkle immediately. Just saying.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea Samjkra, but don't throw BRC into the Detroit River, you'll flood Windsor.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any updates on this?
Who is interested in seed bombing / guerrilla gardening? I am on the guerrillagardeners.org forum, and there are a couple other metro detroit members. I am going to host a seedbomb making event at my house, the first weekend in April. Email me at carrie.yager@gmail.com if interested. When I say host, I mean I will buy some PBR, clay and a bag of compost. BYOS bring your own seeds.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still very much interested as well. I've kept my eye on the thread watching for updates.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link is not operating for guerrillagardeners.org

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry the link is http://www.guerrillagardening. org

Detroitus
Username: Detroitus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, bamboo comes in 2 main types, running and clumping. In short the genus Phyllostachys is running bamboo and should be avoided. The genus Bambusa is clumping and should be fine. Though if either gets out of control you can ship it to the National Zoo in D.C. where they are in short supply after harvesting to vigorously to feed the Pandas.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have a few questions:

The first post said it would be hard to stop the mowers. While I think this is a good idea, what authority would the planters have the stop the mowing? Other than just, this is what's best for Detroit? And can you do this on all lots, or just city-owned ones? Do you need the lot owners permission to plant (I realize most wouldn't care)?

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EDIT: Here's a similar project in North St. Louis, which has large swaths of unused land.
http://www.newrootsurbanfarm.o rg/
But it's a little different. Families pay $500 (about $20 a week, 25 weeks) for seeds and supplies and someone farms and cultivates the field, then the family picks up their harvest. According to the sight, local kids pick, wash, package the produce that the families pick up. Part of an education program or something. They only accept as members those who live within St. Louis city limits (St. Louis City is fairly small, about 62 square miles).

Is the plan in Detroit to just plant flowers, or also food? Growing food might be harder, but more productive.

Searching for Detroit yields the following CSAs
Maple Creek Farm CSA
Garden Taste Fest and Market Place
Vedic Village CSA
Mirror Lake Farm (Lapeer,MI)
The Garden Gate Farm
Carpenter's Greenhouse & Organic Produce

Only one appears to be inside city limits
http://www.localharvest.org/fa rmers-markets/M20630

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.detroitagriculture.com

Grown In Detroit

The Garden Resource Program

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally am planning on planting native plants where ever I feel like it. I don't plan on asking anyone permission, or asking anyone not to mow. If we get 3 weeks of a garden before they mow, well thats better than looking at a dirty vacant lot for those 3 weeks. I really don't want to over think it, because thats when things get complicated. Gardens make people happy. If I seed bomb and nothing grows, well i will take the loss and be happy I tried.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.