Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Monica for mayor « Previous Next »
Archive through February 27, 2009Detroitnerd30 02-27-09  11:17 am
Archive through February 27, 2009Leannam198930 02-27-09  7:49 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on people, let's get smart about this claim of MC's that she's going to run for Mayor. It's nothing more than a publicity ploy to keep her name in the headlines. Looks like it worked. I can guarantee you that if she ran in this election as a write-in candidate, she would lose and lose badly. But I'm 99.5% sure that she's not going to run and she knows it. It's her way of stoking the flames and getting people agitated. Quit taking the bait.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She likes a good laugh just like the rest of us.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder Kwame wants to move to Texas.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to call out this idea that she could be elected mayor now or ever as mayor of Detroit. I know some have a low opinion of the citizenry, but come on. Monica couldn't win a mayoral race even conventionally, let alone as a write-in candidate, so could we stop bashing the citizens? Hell, Monica may not even be able to retain her council seat after the antics she shown since being elected, let alone win against Bing or Cockrel, but no one ever gives credit to the citizenry for sending those two through.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uhm, lmichigan, two words................martha reeves,

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4194
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what about her? What I hope you're not doing, though, is comparing her seeming appeal as a candidate to Monica's, because that'd be pretty foolish.

Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what im saying, lmichigan, is look at history of past choices made in terms of voting in the city of detroit, and that doesn't even include incidences like "the lights going out" at the last mayoral election.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see if Conyers can win a debate with a 12 year old girl before she can take a shot at being mayor.

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Monica couldn't win a mayoral race even conventionally, let alone as a write-in candidate, so could we stop bashing the citizens?"

The citizens voted Kwame in for a second term didn't they?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if MC won.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4195
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the worst thing rumored about Kilpatrick before his re-election? Oh, yeah, that he had a crazy party at the Manoogian mansion. I love how people keep bringing up his re-election as if Kilpatrick was an openly known crook before his re-election.

BTW, if Conyers is re-elected to city council, it most definitely won't be as president or vice president, this time. Speaking of which, I think the council should be able to choose its leaders like most other city councils. The whole city charter needs another rewrite.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear to god when I moved here 4 years ago, I was shocked a the racism of the suburban whites. Now I find myself succumbing to it. Is the city council insane? What about the voters? Is the whole city stupid?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the whole city stupid?"

We'll get back to you on that.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the worst thing rumored about Kilpatrick before his re-election? Oh, yeah, that he had a crazy party at the Manoogian mansion. I love how people keep bringing up his re-election as if Kilpatrick was an openly known crook before his re-election.

KK was indeed an "openly known crook" before his re-election. Navigator, anyone? KK was blatantly crooked. The difference back then was simply the scale of the thievery.

The fact that Detroit produces "leaders" like KK and MonCon says everything we need to know.

To be fair, there are some (precious few) signs of intelligent life in City government. Acting Mayor Cockrel is a good example, as he seems to grasp the reality facing Detroit, and is trying to move quickly to get things done.

"Shrek," however, will probably lose to Mr. Bing, because Bing played basketball and owns a factory that makes cardboard boxes. It makes perfect sense, really.

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica would NEVER survive in the corporate world.
She would be ridiculed and ignored,
then downsized when times get tough.

Novine

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with LMichigan on this. Do voters in Detroit have a thing for voting for familiar names and being too willing to give people a second chance? Sure they do. But voters outside of Detroit do the same thing all of the time. Certain people have been elected as judges in the Metro Detroit area with almost no qualifications for the position save having a familiar last name, even when they have no relations to the name that everyone knows. For years people in Macomb County elected the likes of David Jay and Gil Dinello to represent them in Lansing even after repeated escapes of publicly embarrassing comments and behavior. Let's quit acting like Detroit is alone in this regard.

As for Detroit voters, let's take note of who's gotten the boot over the past few years. If your exposed as a crook, even Detroit voters have their limits.

* Jackie Currie - City Clerk
* Lonnie Bates - City Council

In this past election, the majority selected the two candidates that avoided the racial politics and supported the Cobo deal even though there were alternatives who were well-known and viable candidates.

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Shrek," however, will probably lose to Mr. Bing, because Bing played basketball and owns a factory that makes cardboard boxes."

You're right. That will ensure Bing's victory without a doubt.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think we have to worry about Monica running for mayor anytime soon. Don't forget James Rosendall is going to be sentenced soon. He will have to drop names in open court. Councilperson A better be more worried about the feds than an opponent in an election.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Monica doesn't win she will just file suit against the voters that didn't vote for her.

(she read about that happening someplace)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she actually seriously campaigns for mayor, the floodgates will open with all the crooked things she and her minions have done wrong. Here's one more thing to surface.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090228/M ETRO01/902280331/1409/METRO

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock asked:
quote:

Swingline--what is the "open admissions" law school that you say Monica attended? Looking at my April Bar Journal ( 2008) which lists all Michigan attorneys, I do not see her name listed as either an active or an inactive attorney. Her husband,(Representative) John Conyers is listed as "inactive" with offices in Washington, DC.
If she claims to be a "practicing attorney", she is not practicing in Michigan or she is guilty of a felony.

Ms. Conyers received a J.D. from the University of the District Columbia. UDC is a 35 year old public uinversity. A conglomeration of older teachers colleges, it is actually a land grant university. While the undergraduate programs at UDC are open admissions, it is probably an overstatement to say the same about the law school. In the late '80's, the law school absorbed the remnants of the late, lamented Antioch Law School that was dedicated to training public interest lawyers. The law school is accredited so it must require a bachelors degree and probably an LSAT score. A 2.5 GPA and pretty much anything on the LSAT will get you in.

Ms. Conyers has not passed a bar exam in any jurisdiction. That's why she's not on your list. Can she call herself a lawyer/attorney simply because she has earned a J.D.? I don't know. What do lawyers say about this?

Ms. Conyers' attendance at UDC raises an admittedly old, but interesting issue that an enterprising investigator might enjoy looking into. Did she claim District of Columbia residency when she attended the law school?. Resident tuition was certainly thousands of dollars cheaper than non-resident tuition when she was a student. I thought I read something a few years ago that Congressman Conyers lives in DC (as opposed to MD or VA) when he is in DC for work. Before recent years when Ms. Conyers afflicted Detroiters with her permanent physical presence here, she and their son lived in DC with Mr. Conyers. But aren't Congresspersons and their familites required to maintain formal residency/domicile or whatever in their home states while they are members of Congress? Did the rules allow Ms. Conyers to claim resident tuition? Lots of temptation to bend the rules and save thousands, wasn't there? Don't know the answers which are probably complicated. Just asking questions.

(Message edited by swingline on February 28, 2009)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she can only call herself a Jusis Doctor or J.D. unless she passed a bar.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 585
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

monicalookalike

Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg that is so wrong bobl........but a pretty accurate resemblance

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope Monica changes her mind. I can't stand her. I really pity John sometimes.

(Message edited by vandykenjefferson on February 28, 2009)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shrek," however, will probably lose to Mr. Bing, because Bing played basketball and owns a factory that makes cardboard boxes. It makes perfect sense, really." quote

Really !

No matter what you think of Bing. His business accomplishments cannot be dismissed with that kind of statement. Mr Bing has several factorys supplying steel to the auto industry. Though his Bing group he has had joint ventures with other automotive suppliers supplying fuel tanks. A few years back he got a supplier of the year honors from GM ..notice I didn't say minority supplier.
He's also into other areas that I am not aware
of. Trust me I'm not a Bing slappy. Personally I think there are better candidates out there but if he does win I think we'll be just fine.

I hate the constant remarks that assume Detroit voters are dumb because its just not so.

BTW .. the owner of that (failed) factory that makes cardboard boxes was Bill Laimbeer, which I think now Vinnie Johnson runs (for you Piston fans).

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers..... Mayor of Detroit. Why don't we just mobilize the Army National Guard now (or what is left of it) for martial law? Have the state just take over, disband council and start a fresh. Give the place a new name while we are at it too.

Like I said before about Monica, the longer idiot's like her stay in power the sooner receivership comes. Inevitable.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4524
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers for mayor HELL NO! Voting for Conyers is comparing to voting for KING KWAME KILPATRICK back into office.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4095
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watched "Flash Point" on WDIV. Monica Conyers was throwing around the race card again. "Detroit is not a Plantation to pick from", concerning Cobo Hall. Geez, what's with this woman ?

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the constant remarks that assume Detroit voters are dumb because its just not so.

The majority of City council members are dumb. Who elected them, and why?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4526
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because most Detroiters are looking at these Detroit city leaders from whatever principles they have to reform Detroit's image in which they are political show horses.

Today here is our political structure goes when we play the race cards.

Black folks that represent 82% of Detroit's population will mostly elect a black city leader. Compare to majority of whites in their communities who elect a white leader. Now, NOT all majority black cities will choose a black leader. (Look what happen to Gary, Indiana when they have a white mayor) Plus not all majority white cities will elect a white leader Look what happen to Chicago, New York and Cleveland and of course Detroit who elect a their first black mayors. Folks in Detroit and other American cities will choose a leader base upon RACE, POLITICIAL POPULARITIES, and then PRINCIPLES comes last. Look what happen after Americans chosse Barack Obama. Did we choose him because of his popular political celebrity with his "Cobsy" like nuclear family or his priciples or just because he's BLACK? You all dedide.

WORD FROM THE GHETTO

We don't see Detroit as Seattle, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Atlanta,Denver New York City ect... We see as New Orleans, Gary, Flint, Pontiac St. Louis. and Camden, and that is going to be. So when step into Detroit you all see corruption and people who would be ABSOLUTULY NOTHING! to reform or poltical, financial and infrastructure. That's TOO BAD! si deal with it pray from leaders os God can reform their minds. I'll pray every day for our leaders doesn't matter if their good or bad.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 581
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, please, no!!

Devolian
Username: Devolian

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if we all pray a little bit harder the problems in Detroit will go away

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Danny if what you say about the citizens is is true than Detroit will never become a real city again. Personally, I felt Obama was intelligent and had some promising ideas.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica is just pandering like every other desperate politician. Same way Hendrix just did, unsuccessfully.

And that type of lowest common denominator pandering is not restricted to Detroit. Warren, St Clair Shores, etc... their pandering to the ignorant and ill informed is legendary. You know, like when their two ex-mayors were both running for election and said they would form their own water processing entity so they wouldnt have to buy from Detroit. Just pandering to anti-Detroit (racist?) sentiment.

Only thing is... I thought the ignorant people weren't supposed to vote?

Novine

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, the racial pandering has only ever come from the Detroit side of the border. Some members of Detroit's City Council have earned most of the criticism heaped on them but let's not pretend that Detroit has been alone in having politicians playing the race card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O rville_L._Hubbard

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost threw up my lunch when I read the title of this thread!

Anyone remember when John ran against Coleslaw in the late 80's early 90's?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need less pandering from all sides.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were some earlier discussions in this thread about Ms. Conyers' bar admission. Nobody posted any sources for the claims of no bar admission for Ms. Conyers. Found this recent post in David Josar's Detnews blog:
quote:

Posted by David Josar (The Detroit News) on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Monica Conyers, esquire?

Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers regularly reminds colleagues she graduated from law school. She's trying to out-manuever Mayor Kenneth Cockrel Jr. in the courts on Cobo, proudly displayed her diploma during a Fox 2 home tour and last month apologized after poking fun at Councilman Kwame Kenyatta for having a high-school equivalency diploma.

Although Conyers has a degree from the University of District of Columbia School of Law, she isn't licensed to practice law in Michigan. The reason: She failed to pass the bar in 2003, 2004, 2005 and in July 2007, according to a letter to the City Hall Insider from Board of Law Examiners in Lansing. The board couldn't provide her scores to the City Hall Insider, but did confirm the results.

Conyers has plenty of company. Hillary Clinton failed the bar once. JFK Jr. did so twice. And Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa flunked four times before giving up.

Conyers is nothing if not persistent and might be hitting the books again. The Insider reported in February that Conyers has spent $959 in taxpayer money on a dozen law books for her office.

Mr. Josar has a link to the Board of Law Examiners letter. This clears up any questions.

Eastsideirish
Username: Eastsideirish

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers needs to be embarrassed about the way she speaks; this radio interview says it all.

By the way, she thinks that "co-equal" is a word that differs from the word "equal."

Does anyone know where she went to college? Or if she even went to college?

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She went to Bennett College in North Carolina for her undergrad. Bennett is a historically-black college for women. There are many fine graduates of that college and I would not hold it against them for Mrs. Conyers being an alum and for some of her antics.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Monica could even be considered for this position it just represents a very sad symptom of Detroit's disintegration.

But, to quote the Monicster, "detroit is not another plantation to come pick from..."

Yes it is! After all, the so called "gems" aren't being addressed by the existing management structure. Cobo, 260 million in deferred maintenance? Hmmmmm........ let's sell the tunnel for a single year gain?

Pathetic. Ah let's regionalize the water department. Most of the funds come from communities outside of the City of Detroit. Make it a local authority. Yes, take it and run it better. And now I will be called a racist.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you every watch the City Council in action? or do you just judge her from her interviews? If you would watch her reactions when she is the moderator during "open" sessions, you would see how utterly bored she is with anything the
public has to say, black or white. She talks under
her breath, she rolls her eyes, she looks like she would rather have her nails pulled out than sit and listen to what her City has to say. If I never had to read the comments she makes or hear her being interviewed, I would just think she is
another unqualified "name" that got into office
on name recognition. I don't like to call her
stupid, but, her behavior is ignorant and her lack
of respect of others is very apparent. Let's hope that the 15% that do vote in Detroit, DON'T vote her in again. Let her and Martha have the time off from their part time jobs to go dancing in the
street. The Detroit streets that is.

Carman
Username: Carman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget that she has the Mildred Gaddis machine working for her now. In an incredible about face, the once "gutbucket, buffonery, foolishness" has now turned into a "brave woman". The Inside Detroit Team will be working hard for Monica's political career.

(Message edited by carman on March 25, 2009)

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Inside Detroit Team will be working hard for Monica's political career.

I don't think they will. I think they'll use her for this one purpose and then "cut her loose." People create temporary alliances all the time.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff, I've attended many Council meetings. MC is way over her head. She is rude, in way over her head, and is an embarrassment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.