Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Big Changes coming to DetroitYES » Archive through February 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have sometimes been compared to the "Slowski" turtle on Comcast ads, but am sure I will adapt. Glad to read the quote:
" there will be no annoying avatar pictures."

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Having just replaced the black ribbon for my Underwood typewriter, refilling my Esterbrook fountain pen with Schaefer's ink, and buying a new tube for my Zenith radio, now I read about beta testing, templates, HTML, transparent links, and vBulletins.

But if jjaba can do it,and Ray36 can do it, I guess I can do it too. What is this world coming to? Guess it's time to replace my Muntz TV.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awsome..Thanks Lowell..Rock i am right with you haha

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, my Philco beats your Zenith, any day.

I'm going to be one of the ones who will be befuddled, in a nearly insurmountable way, by the new stuff.
Or, maybe not. There's a good chance that more than half of the new features & capabilities & stuff will be things of no interest to my happily primitive mind.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll add my cheer to Sean's three and those of others.

In addition to giving us much to anticipate eagerly, you also dangle a phrase that may get Charlie LeDuff calling 911 again:
quote:

the forum and posts will remain, frozen in time

. . . not in an elevator shaft, right?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSS! RSS! I'm so glad to have.. RSS!

I am sure you'll keep it simple yet functional - which is part of the beauty of DYes.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, the changes you are outlining are AWESOME.

I tried logging into the new system to check it out, but it didn't work...

Any trick to logging in, or do I need to register?

the only thing I could see that was not "ideal" about the new set up might be stylistic / aesthetic.

Will the final forum open up filling the frame much as the current one does? (currently in the new forum it has a title at the top, and lots of space between posts) In the current setup, it looks like another page in frames, while the current set up is so seemless that it seems like a cohesive page.

just an observation. that said, as I mentioned before, the changes sound AMAZING!

Polling and profiles would be especially useful!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't try framing vBulletin.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on February 19, 2009)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Vetalumni and Mdoyle - kill the frames. On an iPhone (which is my preferred method of browsing the web these days) the new system is far better than the old, but still has room for improvement - in particular, too much of the screen is wasted.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I volunteer to fool with it, but just until the next Mackenzie swim meet.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After a quick look through, I like the new forum. Some of the enhancements will really be useful. I do second everyone else's objection to obnoxious avatars and the use of too many features. I am looking forward to something new. The bugs have been multiplying in the past year.

With the new forum, does that mean everyone's post count will return to newbie 0? If so, how long do I have until the switch over? I'm only 225 posts away from the 1000 post milestone :-)

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9453
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the user data switchover fails, I will be registering as Trainman.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, is it vBulletin Version 3.7 ?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transitionally speaking, phased implementations are usually preferred with a long standing existing customer base. Start with a minimal set of the exciting new features. Create interest from here, and let people become acclimated. Then bundle feature sets in subsequent versions. Advertise upcoming release details in advance. Yes, people will inquire out of anticipation. There are ways to handle that Lowell.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess it will be okay. Don't you know that us old farts hate change? It's hard to catch up on technology when I'm still using my Commodore 64.......... :-)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3347
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "If the user data switchover fails, I will be registering as Trainman."

Good, maybe we can get an explanation like "born on a bus" or "railroad took our property" or something.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rotflmao Ray1936. I grew up on a Commodore PET with cassette I/O and a telephone coupler device at I think 1400 baud. Pong and all that.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aesthetically, I would suggest redesigning the frame set up you have. It is a little limiting in terms of screen real estate with the new forum set up. I don't think frames are necessary at all with vBulletin, perhaps a simple banner logo at the top, or if u still want frames at least shrink them in size.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell...I'm really nervous as I am a total dweeb when it comes to anything mechanical, computerbased or not. I don't even know what RSS is (but a lot of people like it, so I probably will too). I'll stick my toe in, but my guess is that someone will have to push me all the way in....just don't make me wear one of those awful DPS high school swimsuits from the past!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: " I'm still using my Commodore 64..."

Ray, is the the Commodore64+4 Color version with the 16k memory expansion slot? You lucky man.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't even know what RSS is (but a lot of people like it, so I probably will too"

I don't know what the heck it is, either, Sussex, so I went to the old standby, Wikipedia, and made the inquiry.

Gobbledegook. Whole explanation made as much sense as Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars.

Anybody wanna try an explanation in English, using words of one syllable?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to the change.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's RSS explained the Oprah way:

http://www.backinskinnyjeans.c om/2006/09/how_to_explain_.htm l

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L O W E L L :

Looks good, even without PW access. One teeny style tip to supplement the techy and aesthetic suggestions, requests and pleas:

* Use Southeast Michigan or Southeastern Michigan in place of:
quote:

Discuss Detroit
Discussions with a focus on South Eastern Michigan & Ontario.

-- Former copy editor

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you do a mobile version for Blackberry?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3926
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Here's RSS explained the Oprah way:

http://www.backinskinnyjeans.c om/2006/09/how_to_explain_.htm l

Ah! Excellent, Digitalvision! Thanks a bunch for that!

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome, Ray. Least I could do, you tell lots of great stories - I have a paltry link for you :-)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare you replace an American made product with a foreign one. :D

I agree with the others in terms of dropping the frames.

(Message edited by _sj_ on February 19, 2009)

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting for the Forum and Detroit to get better.