Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Paczki Day 2009! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoo hoo! Paczki Day is this Tuesday.

Small's is open at 11 a.m. and we'll have jello shots and Paczki Bombs (mini paczki filled with booze)! My buddies and I will be all over the place, though: Belmont, Whiskey in the Jar, New Dodge, some house parties, and the PLAV.

Anyone else coming out?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Custard paczkis for me. Prune, not so much.

We were at the countdown to Paczki day celebration today which also included lunch at PVC and a stop at New Palace to place our Paczki order.

Hamtramck is the place to be come Tuesday.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The origin of Paczki Day dates back to September of 1939, when Nazi Germany invaded Poland. The brave Polish Lancers mounted on horseback, stuck a day old paczki on the tip of their lance. Stuffing one of those rock hard lard fried doughnuts down the barrel of a Panzer caused many of the invaders tanks to brew up when it's projectile exploded inside it's barrel. Stolat!

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, I didn't realize it was that time already! Custard would be my first choice, lemon second.

Thanks for the history Sludgedaddy! :-)

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki Day is like Christmas in Hamtramck, only the bars are open....all day, all night, and all night the night before.

Never seen so many people, all out walking, all over town, all stumbling.

Come early, come late, come the night before.

Miss_d_meanor
Username: Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie: "Custard would be my first choice, lemon second"

Clearly this man knows what he's talking about!!!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to an elderly Polish relative, true paczki's contain raspberry jelly, although I still consider the other fillings to be legit, too, lol. Custard or lemon or chocolate would be my preferred flavor. Maybe that should read "and" instead of "or". "Well, maybe just one more" has been heard coming from my mouth on numerous Paczki days. Here in rural Minnesota, they've never heard of "Paczki Day". It is referred to only as "Fat Tuesday". I sent a copy of a Freep article about it to a local radio station, and the DJ was quite fascinated by what a big deal it is in Metro Detroit. Had to enlighten him on the proper pronunciation...he kept saying something like Pack-ski.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that no true original/authentic paczek is ever filled with fruit besides maybe prunes.

Man, I've already had so many of them over the past week or so its crazy. Cherry ones are my favorites, and I love when this time of year comes around.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 22, 2009)

Rjk

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0P5t9M6vIRs&feature=related

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting this link, Rjk!! We enjoyed it immensely...As we wondered why we've never taken the day off to participate!! Maybe next year!!

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, whats the best place in ham town to get them?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4498
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go a REAL Polish owned bakery in Downtown Hamtramck to buy by Paczki's there. Paczki Day is not becomming a local media holiday rather than a traditional day to give up sweets before lent. At least those Polish family owned bakeries in Hamtramck will be making some quick bucks from those calorie and cholesterol loaded pump juicy donuts.

Folks, I recommend you all to go REAL Polish family owned bakery and buy some Paczkis there.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki is the plural form of the word paczek.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I gained 5 pounds watching that video! Thanks Rjk!

Miss_d_meanor - I am woman. :-)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 549
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody: Funds are low. Given the choice between Paczki Day and the Blowout, we might go with the live music. May we suggest that Small's offer Paczkis to its patrons on Blowout Weekend, to offer sustenance for the demands of visiting so many live music venues in so little time?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a box of 18 Paczki's at Kroger last Thursday for half price. Did somebody jump the gun?

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Traditional" paczki were typically filled with prune or rosehip jelly.

Then again, I don't see any reason why some people, even back then, didn't fill them with whatever fruit they wanted. Poles are anything if diverse in their tastes, as well as resourceful.

That said, if you ever get a chance, try a rosehip paczek. I am a huge fan, and they have a very nice flowerly scent and flavor.

By the way, I recently saw paczki advertised in a grocery store flyer in the Sunday Washington Post out here in DC. I'm not positive, but I think it was Giant.

However, DC grocery store imitations don't cut it for me, as nothing compares with paczki from New Palace, New Deluxe, or Sunnyside. So, my only options are to find a bakery in suburban Maryland - a Polish one in Silver Spring closed, head to Baltimore, or make my own (a lardless, low-fat version that, while tasty, just ain't the same.)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Dbc - I feel for ya' - we once had someone on here wanting a real Metro Detroit cannoli, and they lived out in Seattle I believe. I've often wondered if they ever found the taste they were looking for over there on the left side of the States! When you're used to the real thing from the people in the Detroit area, nothing else can compare.

Prenkert13
Username: Prenkert13

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True paczki were filled with prune or another fruit jelly. My mom currently makes true pazcki and doesnt fill them with jelly at all.. ooohhhh so damn good. Most places just sell oversized jelly donuts as paczki. Not to high jack the thread or anything but if anyone wants some info on the old Atlas Beverage Company let me know as my mothers family owned and operated it.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prenkert13 - Just as I've stated before, Atlas was the preferred mixer back in my bartending days.
At least here in Michigan.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4501
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't settle from cheap carboard taste paczkis to Kroggers, Dunkin Donuts or some non-Polish owner bakeries. Go to REAL Polish owned bakery in Hamtramck and buy some REAL fresh Paczkis.

Prenkert13

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya thats what ive heard. i am the grandson and never got to fully enjoy atlas really. I hear alot about from family and remember "working" there when i was about 3-4 years of age. It was also the last family ran beverage company in Michigan specially after Vernors sold.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cripes - It's just a doughnut. We go through this every year. Sure, I'll be up at 4 in the morning to stand in line with a pack of TV reporters giving us updates every five minutes. Now that's news.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again due to my civic pride I will be taking the day off and indulging in Paczki Day.

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prenkert13: Atlas was the only kind of pop served in my Babcia & Dzia-Dzia's house. If memeory serves me correct, it was Atlas Red Pop and was always served warm, never cold for some reason. My Babcia did not speak english so I could not ask her.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy was a student worker of ours who had never heard of paczkis. Of course, she thought they were just oversized donuts. She ate one, loved it and started to eat another. I tried to warn her, but she wouldn't listen.

About two hours later, she said that she didn't feel well and was going to go home early. She missed the next day, and came back on Friday. She was glad there were no leftover paczkis, and swore off of them forever! I always think about Amy on Paczki Day. :-)

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Deluxe Bakery is on Conant and Commor (s. of Carpenter). It's off the Campau beaten path, but there will be a line outside of it. Well worth the wait.

I have a friend who lives here (haven't seen in a couple years though), who invited me to her mom's house on Evaline where they spent the previous day making several dozen paczki. Awesome!! Not too heavy, I didn't taste a single calorie.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do people get so wound up about jelly donuts?

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmm. can't wait. I'll eat 2 of them, any kind is ok with me as long as they are from Hamtramck. Rjk, thanks for that video. I really liked the lady that the reporter visited in her home.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6653
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utica Heights Bakery

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which Hamtramck bakeries do you all reccomend?t

Prenkert13

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Jat44, could the red pop have been their fruit punch flavor. i just noticed that when looking through old labels my mom recently received. that could be why it was served at room temp or so

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up my Paczkis this morning from New Palace Bakery at 6AM this morning, as I have to go to Indiana until Friday for work. They were open Sunday just for this ocasion, and business was booming, the line was out the door. I hate that I'll be unable to attend the festivities this Tuesday.

As I sit alone in my hotel room in Elkhart, far away from my Hamtramck house, I will enjoy a little slice of home.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want fancy coffee with your paczek, the Rowland is serving New Deluxe paczki this year.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does it look like she's massaging boobs at the 2 minute mark lol

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua...those are the Hamtramck version of Polish plastic surgery..implants your Busia was probably well aware of. Just go down Jos. Campau to any one of the discount clothing stores, buy a large accomodating bra coupled with a pair of granny panties, and you're in there. Worked really swell for such luminaries as Rula Lenska.Transvestites on Paczki Day may also take note.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Press release: Polish Muslims to play 3 shows in Hamtramck, Paczki Day, Tuesday 2/24

It's that time of the year again, when like the Irish on St. Patrick's Day, the Poles have an excuse to take off work and start drinking at 7AM; that's right, it's almost Paczki Day!

And whar better way to spend it than with those musical immortalizers of that proud pastry The Polish Muslims!

Here's the itinerary:

10:00 am to 12:00 noon at New Dodge Bar - South end - 8850 Joseph Campau. Come early if you want a place to stand.

2:00 to 4:30 - at Whiskey in a Jar - 2741 Yemans St. about mid-way up Campau. Running out of gas yet? Have another Paczki and let's head further uptown.

6:00 to 7:15 at the Post #10 - 11824 Joseph Campau Its a fun filled second floor hall with good food and beer. Everyone ends their full day of imbibing at the 10.

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Pennsylvania they're called "Fasnacht" it's the Pennsylvana Dutch (German) version of this donut to eat on fat Tuesday. It has to be made of potato flour to be a true fasnacht.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had mine. Rasberry..... mmmmmmm, mmm!

Just one though.

Rjk

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm up to 1200 calories already. If I can keep it below 3000 I'll be doing good. I'm just glad it's not pierogi day. I could really make a pig out of myself with those little bastards. Extra running for me this week.

I loaded up the kids in the car around 6:00 this morning and we stopped and had breakfast at the Clock before we head over to New Palace to pick up our Paczkis. The line was just starting to get long when we got there but it helped that we pre-ordered.

Na Zdrowie

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very gald my parents work for St. Florian in Hamtramck, I get paczkis every year!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had a raspberry one. Opening a Molson's now. Going to add a mile to my daily two mile walk this afternoon.
How many calories are burned in a 45 minute brisk walk?

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for "Kiszka Day."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.