Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Freep: Man shot for pissing on building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/cgw637

Guess the business owner was pissed off for having his building pissed on.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better not let the Suburban Woodward business owners catch wind of this. Ever see the back lots the day after the Dream Cruise?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5282
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, if you want to clean up the city...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... sometimes you've gotta cap a bitch?

Lilpup

Post Number: 5287
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have no idea how many times I would have liked to when I see people throw trash out their car windows.

If there isn't more to this story, though, based on what the store owners' neighbors say, then he must have had a really, really, really bad day.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You have no idea how many times I would have liked to when I see people throw trash out their car windows. "

YES! I was thinking the SAME THING TODAY as I drove to Honeybee behind a delivery truck and saw him whip his coffee cup out onto the road. Grrrrrrrrr! I honked at him, but I doubt he understand why I was flipping his trash-tossin' ass off. You have no idea how many empty 25-cent chip bags and non-refundable juice bottles I have to pick up on my street.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9016
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking the same with JAY-WALKERS lately...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe nope, not me...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6707
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's more coming out about this case. I'm curious as to more details as all of the business owner's neighbors seemed to be pretty shocked by his actions.

Dieseldog
Username: Dieseldog

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The elementary school across the street from me has been an irritation to the entire street. Every school day new garbage appears in the street and the yards across from the building. Chip bags, juice containers and homework. Last year they put two garbage cans outside the doors. This changed nothing. Its almost enough to make you go Postal.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read on the Freep that after he got a ticket for driving on a suspended license, the police offered him and the wife a ride home. He declined the offer.

I dont know all the details, but if my wife and I were offered a ride home on a cold Detroit night in February, I think we would take it.

Then I heard on the radio the owner asked for his employee to go get his gun ( assuming the widow said this) well after he finished urinating why didnt he walk (or run)? Something isn't right with this story.

And if you have to urinate outside why on someone's wall instead of the ground where good ol' rainwater will wash it away? Why do people insist on a painting a piss picture?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amazed that not one person yet has actually called out the store owner for what that shooting was: an unforgiveable, despicable act. I don't care if the guy pissed on the building every day for a month. That doesn't excuse murdering him.

Shooting might have been justified if the guy broke in, but there hasn't been any evidence given to us yet that he did.

Lilpup, Rhymeswithrawk and others: have some damned consideration for human life.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys acting like a bunch of animals ..all around.
Something besides the fish stinks here.

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh.. Burnsie? I think they may have been demonstrating a little concept we like to call sarcasm.

No one thinks that shooting someone for pissing on a building is acceptable.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9454
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dieseldog

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:43

The elementary school across the street from me has been an irritation to the entire street. Every school day new garbage appears in the street and the yards across from the building. Chip bags, juice containers and homework. Last year they put two garbage cans outside the doors. This changed nothing. Its almost enough to make you go Postal.

Is this your homework Larry? IS THIS YOUR HOMEWORK?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Choquant-- I know what sarcasm is. Sorry, but this story just disgusted me so much that I don't feel like listening to others make a joke about it, whether they mean it or not.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Choquant-- I know what sarcasm is. Sorry, but this story just disgusted me so much that I don't feel like listening to others make a joke about it, whether they mean it or not."

You have the right to not read the thread, exercise it.

Dieseldog

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnlodge this thread needed that.

But seriously the point I was trying to make was that after putting up with the same crap from people day in and day out could cause a person to snap. This was probably not a random act of violence. Getting shot for your $200 dollar shoes is but I don't believe that just a single act of peeing on the mans building was the only provocation.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5292
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

updated with more information

How can someone on probation for assault with a dangerous weapon 1)be driving after having his license expire over 10 years ago, have his car impounded when busted for the infraction, but he not be arrested and 2)be employed as a janitor in a public elementary school??

http://freep.com/article/20090 219/NEWS01/90219031/Widow+spea ks+out+on+man+s+killing+after+ public+urination

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this guy?
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 700403

5 foot 8, 250 pounds.

How big is Mr Moon? hmmm,...

This whole story is wacky. Why are you riding around on a flat? Why did the cops tow the car? What else was going on with the car or the Johnson couple that would make the cops impound the vehicle?

To me, if I was Shawn Johnson I'd be peeved that 1, my car had a flat 2, that the cops towed my hooptie and that I was now without wheels. In fact, I'd be downright grumpy. Then when I'm taking a leak, some Asian guy is getting all up in my face. I certainly would not have been in the mindset of begging forgiveness from Mr. Moon. In fact, I'd be so mad I might just want to teach Mr. Moon a lesson in minding his own business.

But that's just me.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5293
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a mere six months after pleading and he couldn't keep himself out of trouble

he was driving without a license (expired in 1998) - she probably doesn't have one either (or wasn't sober), thus the tow

yet this guy has a job when a lot of felony free folks don't

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Mr. Moon doesn't appear to be Asian. I don't see any racial angle in this one.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pilar?" Oh God, I laughed out loud at the Big Lebowski reference:-)

Gnome

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, I haven't seen a pic of the guy, I jumped to contusions when I read the name Moon and the name of his business, Asian Fish Market.

I should not have made such assumptions; thanx Eastburn, for straightening me out.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

De nada.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4147
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care about Mr. Johnson's past. It is no relevance to him being murdered by some disgruntled fish shop worker. As far as I'm concerned, that Mr. Moon is being charged with 1st degree murder tells me the prosecutors think this is opened and shut. Prosecutors usually go for a lesser sentence to make sure they nail a suspect. That they believe they can nail this guy for the highest degree of murder is really all that I need to know. I don't care if Mr. Johnson had a prior record, or if he should or shouldn't have taken the DPD ride back home. Mr. Moon murdered this man in cold blood.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I jumped to contusions

awesome!!!!!!!!!

Lilpup

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is no relevance to him being murdered by some disgruntled fish shop worker.

It is if he should have been arrested for probation violation instead of being allowed to walk home.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with some of the earlier posts - there must be more to this story than what's being reported.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, much as I decry the loss of a human life, something is fishy with this.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at his record I would also like to jump to contusions and assume something else was going down.

I guess the silver lining in all of this is that the shooter was black. So we can take race out of the equation for once around here.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jumping to contusions sounds quite painful and dangerous. I wouldn't trust a person that jumped to contusions. They may still have open head wounds; they probably aren't thinking straight.

Lilpup,

Whether he should or shouldn't have been out of probation is no fault of his own, and neither was him being murdered. It's a red herring, and you know it. He either deserved to be murdered or he didn't. Choose a side and stop the distraction tactics.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 20, 2009)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9029
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marlon, his attorney, is an old neighbor of mine. Good guy, he doesn't take cases he doesn't believe in...I'd bet there is more to this story.

I wonder if he was on any serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors or other form of psychotropic. They often reduce or eliminate a person's grasp on consequences, or care to weigh good and bad.

Lotsa people doing things they otherwise wouldn't, in these unbelievably unpredictable times. Too much stress, fear, and uncertainty.

Not a good equation to add them all...stress might be a multiplier.

Jumping to contusions? That's funny.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5297
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, if police protocol is to arrest probation violators then DPD is negligently contributory to his death.

Gnome

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With open head wound and all, this is my theriman:

All 250 pounds of Mr. Johnson came at 69 year old Moon filled with the combined anger of having his hooptie impounded and being dissed by an admonishing Moon.

Mr. Johnson was going to teach Moon some manners, and when he came at Moon ... BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

As far as first degree...either Moon confessed to a completely different scenerio or Ms. Worthy is overcharging for political purposes.

I haven't read the indictment, but first-degree is tough to prove. You have to prove that Mr Moon intended to kill Johnson. Not protect himself. Not wound to halt. No, Moon intended and planned to take Mr. Johnson's life.

All it will take is a single juror to be convinced that Moon was simply afraid of the repeat violent felon Johnson.

Mrs. Johnson reminds me of MonCon, with a fake gold tooth.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is since this Johnson is a convicted felon, why was he working in a school, of all places?

It's not sound policy to employ someone who was convicted of assult where children are. This man could have been a loose cannon and, maybe when the whole story comes out we'll see that he threatened Mr. Moons in some way.

I suspect Ms. Johnson is not exactly an impartial witness.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on February 23, 2009)

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, the shooter was black? I thought he was Asian?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you automatically think that?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a number of people carried away that impression from the fact that the man's name is Moon and his store is called "Asian Fish Market." It's an incorrect inference, but certainly not an unreasonable one.

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh good. The shooter will get a fair trial then, being in Detroit. I think there is more to this story also.

LOL 321brian

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press jumped the gun by reporting that this man was shot because he was peeing on the back of the man's business.

According to the cops, the only person telling this story was the victim's wife. Do you think if, say, this guy were trying to rob the fish market, his wife would tell the cops that?

With the shooting victim, we're talking about a guy with a criminal history of assaultive behavior. Meanwhile, the store owner has a history of being friendly with people in the neighborhood, even giving away food to the homeless.

Also, all the business owners in the area have said the story doesn't make sense; people piss on buildings all the time around there, they insist, and it's unlikely someone would all of a sudden get so mad about it they'd shoot them.

I realize it makes for a better story to say the man was shot for pissing on a building, but there are very real reasons to doubt that's what really happened.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess the silver lining in all of this is that the shooter was black. So we can take race out of the equation for once around here."

Unless of course it was election time, (or in the Asian vernacular "erection time"), then you would have to ask, how black was he? and was he black enough?

Gnome

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE:

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090309/NEWS01/90309023/Victim +in+urination+shooting+was+dru nk++medical+exam+shows

quote:

Detroit man was drunk before being shot and killed after urinating on a business, according to a medical examiner.

Shawn Johnson, 36, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.13% when Leroy Moon allegedly shot him around 7 p.m. on Feb. 17, said Wayne County Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt.

Last week, Johnson's wife, Mildred Bryant, testified her husband drank a pitcher of beer at Capers restaurant on Gratiot before the shooting. Detroit Police pulled them over due to a flat tire and impounded the car because Johnson did not have a valid license. Bryant said she and Johnson started walking home when he stopped to urinate.

It's unclear why police did not arrest Johnson for drunken driving.

Bryant said Moon yelled at Johnson as he urinated in the building's doorway. ...

Here is the OTIS file for the aggrieved Ms. Bryant:
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 621362

From reading the article, I did not realise that Mr. Johnson was urinating in the doorway of Mr. Moon's fish place. The crack reportage doesn't say whether it was the front, side or back door.

Personally, I get grumpy whenever anyone urinates in my doorway, but that's just me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.