Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old structure unearthed near the Renaissance Center? » Riverfront new construction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigtreble
Username: Bigtreble

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what they're building between the RenCen and Hart Plaza along the river (right next to the 'pumphouse')?
A construction crew has been constantly pounding 30foot steel beams into the ground for the past 2 weeks.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is the new passenger terminal for cruise ships. I know people dislike when pics are asked for, but...pics? I cannot get back to Detroit until April.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigtreble, yes there is a new passenger terminal being built behind the Ren Cen. According to what I read in the news it will accomodate all dinner/sightseeing cruises and also any Great Lakes cruises that may happen in the future. Also for special use for any passenger-carrying vessels stopping in Detroit. Sounds kind of cool to me.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah at first I thought the Ren Shore Condominiums were going up. . . .This is good news though

Bigtreble

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Wpitonya, looks like you're right:

"Dock project to add wharf $4M addition would help during low water" Jun. 30, 2008
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20080630/SUB/806300349/1069

View from the RenCen attached.
Detroit Dock Project Feb18 2008

Guito13
Username: Guito13

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct.

I jus wish this darn pounding noise will stop (they are driving in the beams).

BTW, that pic looks like it was taken almost from my office in tower 400....

Bigtreble

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guito13- i think we're coworkers :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new wharf will be powered, in part, by an experimental energy generator. The inventor is a U of M professor who has created a start-up company to build and install his contraption. No word yet on how he's going to stop zebra mussels from gumming up the works.
http://www.vortexhydroenergy.c om/

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be a great improvement to the riverfront. The project takes a dumpy area of the waterfront and redevelops it and no doubt it will be tied in to the riverwalk and will be the focal point for all passenger excursions on the river. So, a great change for downtown with a very positive impact on the waterfront. super!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any New updates?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still under construction and the RiverWalk is detoured along Atwater. The RiverWalk will be opened temporarily during the Final Four.

Bigtreble

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update:
Excavation and concrete pouring started last week, (along with dumping a couple dozen truckloads of broken concrete into the river’s edge).

Does anyone know what structure used to be situated in that location?

It looks like the construction crews are performing an archaeological dig on concrete footings from a former structure.

[Photo: Note digging to the right of the green trailer, surrounded by orange fence… pre-construction was an empty parking lot]
RiverFront Dock update 03/25/09

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?page=index;c=rcn;g=campusgroupic

click on Browse All Images

the wsu virtual library has 300+ photos of the building of the ren cen with pics of the original model ... pics also of the old warehouse district and the Shorecrest, the yontenaga club, the Palms, and the building of Hart plaza, etc.

Btw, a lot of really ugly cars. Looks like the pics were taken on a cold messy day in March.

------

Sorry, I checked the link and it takes you to the entire wsu collection. If you google "Building the Renaissance center" the proper link pops up.

(Message edited by gnome on March 25, 2009)

Guito13
Username: Guito13

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that fenced off area as well. If you look close it almost appears to be seperate rooms with doors but it could be the angle im viewing it at from my office. I am rather curious to know what that used to be!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.