Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Unemployed in Michigan? How Goes It? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grantsmom
Username: Grantsmom

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much are you getting? How long will it last? And how easy/difficult has it been for you to deal with the system? I'm working on a story comparing our unemployment benefits to Canada's, and I'm curious what kind of experience people have been having.

Celeste (cheadlee@npr.org)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to Canada? This should be good.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/175543.html?123483 4584

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/171073.html?123429 0859

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5843/175257.html?1234480 562

Grantsmom

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an amazing thread and says a lot about what people are going through here. And I also think it says something about the resilience of the people here, and their willingness to help each other, which is worlds away from my hometown in California.

But what I'm really wondering about is the relationship with the state. How well/badly is Michigan taking care of its unemployed? Are you laid off and if so, how hard was it to get your benefits and what are you getting?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$145/ week after taxes(based on $10/hr,40hr week from my last jobs). And, I had to fight for my benefits from the last two employers. The state is as bad as I ever have seen it, but at least we have the call in/online options.

I'd like to hear more about Canada's system on here.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you laid off from the auto industry? Is it easier for them? And yeah, let's hear about our Canadian neighbors...

Bigb23

Post Number: 3875
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been in skilled trades since my military service, (29 years). Mainly machine design and building. We were like the canary in the mine after NAFTA, when our jobs started going overseas, and south of the border.

I've been in a somewhat vicious layoff cycle for the past eight years, while always training for the next level my employers expected of me. I've always lived within my means, but nobody foresaw a total meltdown like this. I stress out everyday on all the job boards, tracking down every lead, and every job, no matter how small.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found one job since the old employer moved to Mexico and India. The new job lasted seven weeks. They, too, are in the process of moving to Mexico, and have laid off most of the workers.
Just got my last extension of benefits, which will expire late April.
In forty years of working, drew unemployment for a few months in 1982, and enjoyed a comfortable standard of living.
Will probably spend the next few years before retirement barely surviving, and hoping for continued good health. Any serious illness will result in bankruptcy.
That giant sucking sound that Mr. Ross Perot predicted has happened. Globalization is reducing working people's standard of living. The trickle down theory trickled piss on the entire working class.
At least temporarily, citizens of your country (Canada) will not have to worry about the bankruptcy due to illness, but will otherwise be in the same boat.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The unemployment on Michigan now stands at 7%. Granholm and our leaders are trying their best to lure jobs in this state be patient.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Michigan unemployment creeps towards 11% "

quote:

As the State of Michigan's unemployment numbers creep towards 11%, Governer Granholm want to cut more jobs. Which in turn mean more unemployed.

She recommends to nearly eliminate the budget for the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and its program funding for arts and cultural initiatives statewide. Her recommendation stands in direct conflict with her efforts to attract and retain business investment, talent and innovation as part of restructuring Michigan and its economy.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3284 -Detroit-Top-News-Examiner~y20 09m2d15-Michigan-unemployment- creep-towards-11

Grantsmom

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big, send me an email. I'd love to talk to you more for my story. It's cheadlee@npr.org.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Bob, where did you retire from? I'm wondering if auto workers have it easier than the rest of us, or if we're all in the same boat.

Bobl

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G:
Did not retire from the supplier job. Was dumped when they left for Mexico & India. Wages in Mexico: $17.00 a day. India: 85 cents per hour.
The Mexicans I trained were pleasant, hard working, and easy to get along with. The Indians were arrogant, thick headed, and a pain in the ass.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a couple more questions, if you have time to shoot me an email.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl - I had to train my way out of a job in 2000, when the jobs went south of the border.(Needed an interpreter). 150 jobs lost in that plant closing. Small world ?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Unemployment Rate
(Seasonally Adjusted)

December 2008 10.6%
Change Over Month +1.0
Change Over Year +3.2

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South Carolina is third in the country with 9.4%. Adding to the problem our unemployment fund has run out of money once already requiring a loan from the fed. 2 months later we're out of money again waiting on a loan.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Detroit is neither the most miserable nor the emptiest city in the country. :-) That's good news, right?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like consumer confidence, the malaise creates additional reasons for the malaise and makes them come true.

If most of us believe we live in the most miserable city, then we will.

If we all believe that the economy is tanking even more, then it will. The media plays a part in that belief when it values sensationalism rather than balance (or heaven forbid actual optimism). Wall Street plays another part when they cry out that a company's PROFITS are down 50%. Who cares? They still made a profit, but the Wall Street jackals won't be able to skim as much off the top so they pressure the company to lay people off or make more profits (perhaps by relocating to 3rd world countries).

Bigb23

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same with off shoring "Proxy" companies to hide profits and avoid corporate taxes here in the United States. But they are the first ones to get Government contracts and bailouts. We have seen this with the bank executive bonuses and retreats.

Just a small number of people leaving this mess as multi-millionaires, while the rest wonder which overpasses have the good cardboard homes.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was furloughed for the first work week of '09 and had some difficulty starting a claim online, DL&EG's website was so inundated that it kept crashing. I knew I was going to be furloughed weeks ahead of time, but the unemployment agency's rules that I wait until the first day of my furlough to file a claim added to the crash of their computer system. On a side note I have to wonder with all these layoffs and plant closings GM and Chrysler are proposing; what is the plan to satisfy the pent up demand once the "economic meltdown" is over? I mean you give up half your talent and half your capacity, how do you build the mix of vehicles needed to bring customers into the showroom? This latest batch of hatchet guys running our car companies lack foresight and innovation, and want billions while adding to the economic crisis via mass layoffs.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cambrian, did you ever get your claim filed? And did the rest of the process go smoothly? Other people have said that it's a battle to get any benefits, and the benefits are too small to make a difference.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did, get it filed after two days of visiting the website. My $362 for that week was $220 after taxes and child support. Worth it? Sure, even though it wasn't enough to cover all my living expenses it did cover some.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you laid off from the auto industry? I haven't been able to get a sense of if there's a difference for them. We talked to a CAUW worker in Windsor and he said it was pretty smooth.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3882
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My UIA benefits were much better three years ago when based on $5.00 an hour more, and plenty of overtime. That was livable.
Now every new position pays less, as we sink deeper into the recession. One person can't do it alone now on UIA. Inflation is on the rise, while wages drop, benefits are slashed, and a health problem can ruin you for life.
Thats IF you're lucky enough to find work.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there things the state can do to improve the system that don't require a huge influx of cash? Is it efficient? Is it fair?

Cambrian

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in the auto industry yes. I have a direct salaried position with a suppler. Prior to this one which I obtained last year I spent several years contracting for the big three. While contracting at the start I was paid or worked for the automotive holidays, but started recieving layoffs for the standard holidays like July shutdown, MLK and X-mas. I do not see the unemplyment process as particularly difficult once you have been through it a few times, which if you contract you get lots of experience filing claimss. I had a union job at a food warehouse in 2006 where I was wrongfully terminated and the company disputed my unemployment claim. I stated my reasons for wanting benefits in writing and six weeks later I received a letter saying the DL&EG had sided with me and decided to pay the benefits, for that 6 weeks though I had no income.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are there things the state can do to improve the system?"

On a federal level repeal NAFTA and close loopholes in trade that allow companies to outsource work. On the state level collect more in UIA premiums from businesses that layoff frequently.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ideally, I'd like to find an auto worker who's been laid off and can describe exactly what he/she has to do in order to get benefits, what the benefits are and how long they last. We're having a worker in Windsor answer the same questions, and that way we can make the comparison. So, if that describes you or someone you know, let me know. It should be an interesting comparison.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://michigan.gov/uia/0,1607 ,7-118--77962--,00.html

Applicants filing new claims must meet these criteria:

Have been employed by at least one, but not more than 19, Michigan employers during the last 18 months.

Did not file an unemployment claim against another state during the past 12 months.

Did not work under more than one social security number during the past 18 months.

You must file by telephone if you do not know your employer's mailing address.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will add this, the more computer savvy you are, the easier you will find filing your claim and certifying every two weeks. But I guess that goes for most things in life nowadays.

All of the UIA options are available online and have been for some time. The services are somewhat flaky, the system freezes, sometimes you have to backtrack and repeat the same steps just to move ahead - but after a while, it does work. HOwever, someone who is not familiar or comfortable with being online is not going to get through it and will end up frustrated and either miss out on timely filing, or trudge down to the office and stand in line and go through that chaos.

I check the online system frequently just to read updates and news releases. I've never gotten any type of updates from UIA, not even to let me know that the online system was available, I just happened to see the link as soon as it launched, and originally all you could do was view your personal information and payment history. One day I happened to see the MARVIN online link and started using that instead of dialing. I've also filed for my last two extensions online with no problem.

Each time I use MARVIn online, I continuously get "null" screens, but I just go Back and try again and after a while it does finish and accept my certification. Occasionally I'll call during the off hours just to confirm that it was accepted and it always has been.

So all in all, it hasn't been a hassle for me using the online system but I feel for the people who either don't have access to it or don't know how to navigate it. When you're trying to make sure you have some sort of income to keep your family afloat, its no time to be going through such a hassle and a confusing system.

In the past, I've even had the employer initiate the layoff procedure for us, and we didn't have to do anything at all but call in when it was time. Employers should be forced to do this for their employees when they lay them off, that would really help make things run smoother and take a load off the system.

Grantsmom

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) They should probably hire you guys to help other people navigate the system. Are any of you laid off from the auto industry, and can talk to me today?

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm laid off, but I was a contract worker, and I really don't think they include us in the counts when they look at "auto workers" but that includes a lot of long term contract workers both in the plants and in the offices. We just don't get the same benefits as the union folks.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3884
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The company I worked for, that closed it's Michigan operations in 2000, provided separation pay, high speed computer stations for job searches, downsizing experts, seminars, six months notice, even stationary and envelopes for resumes, for all employees. Those days are long gone.
Now, all you get is a pink slip, and a half hour to pack and leave.
Currently, we have to deal with a jaded, sullen workforce, to lift our economy. Things should have been better.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3888
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a federal level repeal NAFTA..."

Do you think NAFTA has been the major problem in loss of U.S. jobs? Hasn't the influx of cheap parts and manufactured goods from all parts of Asia been a far bigger problem. If GM and Ford weren't building in Mexico wouldn't that make them even less competitive with the foreign car makers? Canada is also a factor but much less so since the dollar has risen from its lowest point a few yrs ago.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem is with moving 60-70 % of manufacturing out of our borders and the problems that has caused. Canada has had, and still has, a strong manufacturing base that has gone back to the turn of the last century. Long before the current NAFTA passage. We had mutual economic comfort.

Bobl

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrissy_snow:
Thanks for your post. I thought I was doing something wrong, getting the "null" message often! It usually works on the second attempt. To the readers: MARVIN online is the way to go, especially lately, with the phone system overwhelmed.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Compared to Canada? This should be good."

Why Diehard?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To the readers: MARVIN online is the way to go, especially lately, with the phone system overwhelmed."

Does this replace the call in? Does it have to be completed during the assigned time period just like the call? Thanks

Cambrian

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard some economist on BBC the other morning railing against us for wanting to implement a buy American policy, he went on to say that if countries like US and Britain exclude asian countries products it will prolong the global recession. My thought was maybe so, but by not taking care of us first for sure it would take longer to recover. I want to see people in my neighborhood back to work before I even THINK about the guy in Shanghai or Banglore.

Bobl

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W: It does replace the call in. I believe that it does not have to be completed during the specific hour assigned for the phone system, but being an overly cautious one, I enter the data during the appointed time, just in case.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3896
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to verify at my appointed time, and did it several hours later on line and it was accepted. But, I wouldn't depend on that fact in the future. The state seems to look for any discrepancy to disqualify you for any benefits you are due.
I'd walk on eggshells for the next few years.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3898
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My thought was maybe so, but by not taking care of us first for sure it would take longer to recover. I want to see people in my neighborhood back to work before I even THINK about the guy in Shanghai or Banglore.

It's not so much a "me first" thing, as much as level the playing field, as far as tariffs and required domestic production like the Asians have. Our tax dollars have been given out to the rest of the world for years. Where are those tax dollars going to come from now, with rampant unemployment and declining net worth, thats getting worse ?

Diehard

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Compared to Canada? This should be good."

Why Diehard?

There's not much in this thread addressing it, but I have a feeling Canada will do a better job of dealing with their unemployed.

Bobl

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing: Canadians do not generally have to go bankrupt if they suffer a serious illness or injury, eh?

Second thing: Their beer is so much better than ours.

Diehard

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was thinking.
Case in point: One of my friends wouldn't go ice skating with me recently because she'd lost her job. I told her I'd pay if that was a problem. She said, "no, you don't understand, if I fall and break something, it's over for me because I don't have insurance now." And I'm thinking, what kind of country is this that brags about having the best health care in the world, but only if you have money?
As far as unemployment insurance, I have no idea how Canada handles it.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an interesting perspective on another way that being unemployed really affects us. You have to reevaluate every part of your life, seriously. Can you even go jogging? A lot of injuries occur from jogging but you usually pop in Urgent Care and get it taken care of and never give it another thought. Now, you have to worry about how to pay for it.

And a lot of folks are having to let go of car insurance because they can no longer afford it - so then, how do you even drive to go find another job? What if you have even a minor fender bender?

It's really a lot deeper than a lot of people realize.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3903
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And a lot of folks are having to let go of car insurance because they can no longer afford it - so then, how do you even drive to go find another job?

I had to let my AAA lapse for a short time between contract jobs, and to get my proof of insurance for new tabs, I had to pay six months up front. Now I'm back in the same position.

I shouldn't have bought those $30,000 curtains and $600 waste baskets for my new office.
(Satire) - Do you hear me Wall Street ?

Diehard

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one and only time I let my auto insurance lapse (because I was out touring and wasn't driving for three months, seriously) they doubled my rates when I went to reinstate. Their reason was that I'd been driving for three months without insurance, therefore I was an "unsafe driver." I told them I was out of the country and hadn't been behind the wheel during that time, and I could provide the documentation, but they just said, "yeah right, we don't believe you. This is what you'll be paying from now on." Liberty Mutual, in case you're wondering.

I told them where to shove it, but after shopping around and finding out that no other company would take me if I wasn't already under another policy, I had to accept one of those loser insurance contracts (the kind they sell in the ghetto with the neon signs) and it took five years to get back into "good driver" status. With a spotless record, I might add.
Off-topic, I know, but that's how they play ya. May insurers all die in a fire.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had one ticket in 29 years, out of 38 years of driving. But, the insurance commission writes the rules for their own.

Kind of like, if I started a new job, I could make my lunch three hours, out of a five hour day, if I show up whenever. And I could promote myself, with a raise, as I saw fit. And my boss was my best friend.

Well, they're real world. :-(

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife just got laid off and has been looking for work. She registered for unemployment on line and opted for direct deposit. They sent her a Chase Debit card anyway. I have been reading about predatory charges and other abuses by the banks visited upon the unemployed. Any thoughts out there?

Bobl

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P: She can get right back online and change her option to direct deposit, using her routing number. I did this successfully after first choosing the debit card. Had no problem.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobl

Rideron
Username: Rideron

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took me over a year but I finally found a job... Had to move to VA. for it tho'.

Bobl

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Work For Wages.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 922
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get magistrate Gvazda for your hearing, be very careful. He's either not fair, doesn't have a clear knowledge of UIA law, or he ignores the law. In one hearing in particular, he ignored what numerous advocates said the law stated and he ruled against an appellant. I've heard of others that he ruled against on similar grounds. He seems to favor the employer. Gvazda was overruled in one case, that I'm aware of, because the UIA law said he could only rule one way, no exceptions. UIA law was very clear. He ruled that one way and then overruled himself by stating a qualification that didn't apply, thereby denying compensation. The only thing the appellant and advocates could figure out Gvazda was doing was trying to punish the appellant by delaying their obtaining compensation. Which was exactly what happened for the better part of a year until Gvazda was overruled on appeal. That's why I keep saying: APPEAL, APPEAL, APPEAL. There are as many bad magistrates (at least) as there are bad lawyers.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: