Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Grand Circus Park Hash Bash is Back! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year's event will be held, as it is every year, on the first Saturday of May at high noon. More information is available at http://detroitliberation.org/. This party was a great time last year and they should get plenty of exposure this year because there is a Tiger's game that same day.

And no, this thread is not a forum for you to voice your displeasure for the movement to legalize marijuana and make the false statement that this is an unlawful activity. It is a peaceful demonstration in a public space, approved by the city of Detroit.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about voicing your displeasure with dirty hippies? Can I do that?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont care for the stuff but gin makes a man mean, and Id rather be around weed smokers than obnoxious disrespectful drunks. Gin makes a man mean...
Is Ray1936 gonna be there? lol...

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whiskey makes a man mean too.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

true^^^^^^^^^

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a little bit of hope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02 /13/us/politics/13czar.html?_r =1&scp=1&sq=seattle%20police%2 0chief%20drug%20czar&st=cse

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legalize it, even though schmoking makes you stupid.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Phelps is waiting for his invite...

The Nixon era drug laws, incidentally, which persist to this day and in many cases have gotten more extreme, are one of the principal reasons that US prison populations have increased fourfold in the last thirty years, which is something I doubt we can any longer afford. I do not spark up the ganja myself, but if you do, God bless you.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first Saturday in May? I'll be at the Downs tipping back my second or third Mint Julep by then.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my entire police career I never had to fight someone who had been smokin. But even at 6 foot 5 and 270 pounds every drunk wanted to see if he could bring me down. I would not make a pot bust as long as I was alone. Felt I was going against my beliefs.

Reason for this belief is my father was an alcoholic who beat the crap out of me growing up and lost a million dollar a year business. I've known people smoking pot 40+ years who are still functioning and intellectual.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid, I wish there were more police like you.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9005
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are...all of the ones I know, actually.

Tolerance abides, albeit quietly.

Cheers all, thanks for the blessing Professor.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more events like this.

One step closer to becoming a "World Class" city.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will find me selling bags of Doritos and oreos near the corner of Park and Adams.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, every city throws a ganja protest of some sort. If we didn't have one, it would surely make our little town seem empty.

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 17, 2009)

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the organizer and emcee of the Ann Arbor HASH BASH for almost 20 years now, it is nice to have an event like this in my backyard.
LIBERATION DAY in GRAND CIRCUS PARK is a DETROIT classic in the making. I can't tell you how much I like this event. I have been to many around the country and this one is one of the coolest. The DPD does stop by to say hi, never have seen an arrest at this event, let alone anywhere in Circus Park even when needed, but we won't get into DPD policy here and now. But think about it, holding a smoke-in in a city with a police force that is undermanned and poorly assigned? Arresting people smoking pot is not a priority.
I have been at every one of these and they keep getting better.
Of course for those of us who smoke weed in the city, there is nothing special about being out on the street and having a puff. Most of the time the place is so vacant no one even notices, and if they do so be it.

With the NEW medical marijuana laws taking effect on HASH BASH day (April 4th) there will be folks at LIBERATION DAY (May 2nd)who will be able to answer questions and help you with information on how to get a recommendation from your Dr, or help you to learn how to become a CARE PROVIDER for others and grow their medicine for them.

DETROITers should be proud of themselves because Detroit residents approved a medical marijuana initiative in NOV 04 by a vote of 59% to 41%, making the Motor City the first large Midwestern city to do so.
The measure in Detroit changes the city code to create an exception on the ban against marijuana and paraphernalia for people who use it medicinally with a doctor's recommendation. The measure does not stop county sheriffs, state police, or federal law enforcement agents from arresting Detroit medical marijuana patients if they choose to, but the Detroit Police Department has announced it will no longer arrest them.

Detroit Councilwoman Alberta Tinsley-Talabi led the charge against the measure. She told the Detroit Free Press passage of the measure would have "horrible" results. "I feel there would be horrible unintended consequences if it went through under the guise of medical marijuana," she was quoted as saying. "I think it would be hell for the city." SHE WAS WRONG, it's been 4 years and the hell we are in has NOTHING to do with marijuana.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick also opposed the measure, although belatedly. Through his director of communications, Dave Manning, he said the city is still digesting the results. "We're still trying to figure out what it all means, how it would be applied, how are police supposed to handle it," he said. "Our law department is now digging into this and trying to figure it out." Manning did not rule out a possible legal challenge. "It is being reviewed by the law department, and some of the questions we have may end up being answered in court," he said. YEAH well look who ended up in court and jail for that matter.

All I know is that there are thousands of people who suffer because we can't supply them with cheap/free medicine. Medicinal Marijuana can be grown at home, very easily by just about anyone. It does take some effort so if grandma or grandpa could benefit, offer to be their caregiver and help with their victory garden......

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LIBERATION DAY

quote:

victory garden

quote:

Most of the time the place is so vacant no one even notices, and if they do so be it.

I'm hoping for a good healthy dose of police brutality on you guys...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully they can top last years' turnout of 8 people

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Kerlikowske.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do NOT legalize - DECRIMINALIZE!

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think marijuana should be legalized, taxed (heavily), and forgotten about.

I also think that things like the Hash Bash are retarded. That's just what Detroit needs more of -- people flauting the law en masse.

I sympathize with the legalization cause, but not stupid public behaviour.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4198
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because practicing one's right to publically assemble and petition is so un-American or so 1787...

I don't even smoke weed, but God bless people for putting democracy into action. Too many Americans have fogotten how, or don't care to, do it, anymore. Not only do I not begrudge this event, I celebrate people caring enough about civil liberties to do something constructive when there are so many other bad things they could be doing, instead. More power to 'em.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 28, 2009)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to disband the DEA and tax the Ganja, beyond personal use. The time is here.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't even smoke weed, but God bless people for putting democracy into action.

Smoking pot in a public park is not putting democracy in action. Nor is the fact that only 14% of Detroit voters got off their asses and voted this week.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4200
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not to you, and I couldn't really care less. Fortunately for this nation, plenty of people have broken silly and even maliciousn laws to bring this nation closer to its promises to its citizens. Prohibition 2.0 has long since failed this nation, and, hopefully, it goes the way of the original Prohibition.

Someone can light one up in my honor, if they'd like.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 01, 2009)

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some interesting arguments for legalization and regulation:

http://www.salon.com/news/feat ure/2009/03/03/legalize_mariju ana/index.html?source=rss&aim= /news/feature

Quoted: You have drug cartels growing marijuana in our national parks. It's no more the hippie-dippy guy or woman in Humboldt. This is organized crime with no morality and no value of human life. Look at the money you would save in law enforcement by regulating marijuana, decriminalizing it and putting those resources into serious crimes. The black market and the street sales would decline. Pumping $1 billion into our economy is going to provide a lot of green jobs. No pun intended. Obama seems to be a bright-enough guy to realize that.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like the Krak-Bash, Give me a break.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hash Bash will be held "at high noon".

Cute.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, I believe you mean Dave Manney. Not "Manning."

Kwame also had a spokesman named James Canning, but nobody by the name of Manning.

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what Detroit needs to jump-start the economy!
Give me a break!!!
This should do wonders for the economy of Detroit!
The only ones that will benefit will be your drug dealers and drug lords.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.