Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Rafal Spice Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by Rafal's today and there was a note on the window saying they were closed and reorganizing. The real bummer, though, was there was a DTE posting saying electricity was being shut off today. Real downer, I liked buying from them.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Their inventory has been low for awhile now. Nothing sadder than empty coffee barrels.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup. they were going through the motions, keeping their chins up, but they were done. for me, rafal was one of the stores that defined the eastern market experience. i loved taking people in the shop for the first time, and having them transported into euphoria by the rich aroma of the place. patrons enjoyed a comprehensive assortment of coffees, teas, herbs, spices, oils, sauces, grains, etc. - and management was dedicated, knowledgeable, and attentive. eastern market and rafal market complimented each other beautifully. quelle dommage.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ rafal market => rafal spice; edit feature not working.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUDE.

WTF. I bought everything from them.

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they own the building or were they leasing it?
Havent they been around forever?

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is really sad, but it's true that it seemed to be in the cards for awhile :-(

the last few times i went in there was hardly anything to buy. i had to kind of hunt around for something i could use just so i could spend some money there.

i'll really miss getting coffee from them!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very very sad, ditto to what birdie said.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hardly shocked, given the look of the place over the last year or so, but I too am saddened by the news. I really liked the place, and shopped there almost every week until I moved last summer. I visited a number of times on trips back since then, but there was seldon much to buy.

O.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto. I could tell last summer that things were not right. They were running out of everything and did not appear to be replacing any stock. Maybe he retired, he had been in the business since the 70's.

Rafal's was a Detroit institution, I had taken people there from out of town that were amazed by the place.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where do I get my spices now? Any suggestions?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do wish they had been forthcoming. Might have been able to snag a buyer for the business! Instead, they strang us along? Sheesh.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9008
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was at least ONE strong buyer with a direct intent to NOT let Rocky get total control over the retail marketplace on that side of the street...damnit...he could never get beyond the feeler stage.

I don't think Don wanted the family name continued on this business with another owner, but I cannot imagine why he took so long to admit he couldn't keep it running.

NO cheers on this one.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked the personal attention you'd get in Rafal - you'd go in there and present them with what you'd like to cook, and they'd offer up a host of suggestions on the right spices for the preparation.

You can probably get what you need out of Penzeys Spice shop - but I'd rather be shopping in a Mom n' Pop style place in Detroit.

Otter

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spicoff,

IIRC Rocky Peanut has a spice section. It's been a while since I've been in.

Gannon,

Interesting. Too bad, though.

For all that I loved shopping at Rafal's, their spices were not always the freshest. I did not fully realize this until I started shopping at the Spice House (Chicago) - the difference is huge. I will miss it, though, even though I've moved.

O.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been getting my spices from Honeybee Market. I simply love their Mexican Oregano. After I crush it in my hands I won't wash my hands right away. I like the aroma of it that much! LOL The cumin I bought there is so pungent and fresh, you really don't need to fully use what your recipe calls for. The bay leaves are wonderful. Oh heck! Anything I've bought there is fantastic! :-)

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Indian market will have a good selection of spices also. But Rafal's had high quality spices where that matters like real Hungarian Paprika and Saffron from Spain, etc.

Eastern Market will not seem the same without Rafal's. They were great people with a great store.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeybee, since Eriedearie mentions it, is a heck of a market overall. If you're buying vanilla at Kroger, just for one example, check it out here. It is also convenient to I-75, the more so once the construction mess is finished. Mrs. Prof and I have gone many miles out of our way to shop there (OK, we usually drop in on Mexican Village for a bite while in the 'hood), and it's never a waste of time.

Bagley between 16th and 17th, west of Rosa Parks and east of I-75. If busing it, take the Vernor bus. I don't know the hours but it's always open when I'm there.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

prof,

8-8 monday-saturday
8-6 sunday

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Professor I agree! The vanilla - way cheaper, in several different sized bottles and the quality is excellent.

While you're there - even tho' it's not a spice...ya gotta pick up a container of their Guacamole! Yummm! It's usually displayed right when you walk in the door, by the produce section.

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guacamole should be banned. I can go through a pint in about 30 minutes. Stuff is reeeeee-diculous.

Otter

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: vanilla - make sure it's actual vanilla extract. Vanilla costs what vanilla costs, and it ain't cheap. If the liquid you're buying is a lot cheaper, it's probably not vanilla. I see plenty of 'vanilla' from Mexico that isn't.

Agreed on the guac - I couldn't help but have a few chips' worth when I walked in.

O.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9011
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is part of their market analysis...you never notice the camera trained on that pile.

It's a gringo-magnet! Not a one of us can pass it up. They've got us all tagged, and make certain we get special attention whenever we shop.

That's GOT to be it...they just can't be that happy, and efficient, and friendly with their service for everyone.

Could they?!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter - the bottle I have is specifically labeled Vanilla Extract and states it does NOT contain coumarin. Someday I'm going to buy some of their vanilla beans and make something Martha Stewart-like that calls for the real stuff!

Gannon - I make my own guacamole and it is good stuff...but I can't pass by Honeybee without stopping in for a container of their Fix to Go. :-)

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, from Crain's, today:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090217/FREE/902179968

Otter

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie,

Just checkin' :-)

Martha Stewart-style: twice the effort for 30% better results. Just teasing, but I am pretty labor-intensive when I cook. Using whole vanilla beans is easier than it seems, like making your own pie crusts, which I finally learned myself.

O.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved going in there when I went to Eastern Market, Yet my Uncle will miss it more. As I will miss his presents from there.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7763
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch! Now where will I get vanilla beans to make vanilla-infused vodka?

Jams

Post Number: 7764
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch! Now where will I get vanilla beans to make vanilla-infused vodka?

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The internet. WAY cheaper if you are doing the vodka thing. Ive done it before and RAFAL was not the spot for vanilla beans.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - Honeybee has vanilla beans too!

Believe me, I'm not getting any benefits for talking them up. It's just a great store for your needs! :-)

Hmmmm - vanilla-infused vodka? How is that made?

Jams

Post Number: 7765
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eriedearie,
I like Honeybee very much, as well.

Just put a few pods into a bottle of vodka and let stand. Works the same for other fruits such as raspberries, cherries, even jalapenos.

I use the same technique with cider or wine vinegar to make tarragon, basil/garlic, etc flavored vinegars. Great for salads!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jams - all excellent ideas that I'll put to use!

Just a suggestion: Don't mean to threadjack - sorry....But, if you should ever find yourself somehow being the owner of a jar of moonshine...sink some dried apricots in there and let them stew for a couple of months. Enjoy that with some company over - and eat the apricots too! Very good stuff - or so I've been told.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested, you can make your own vanilla extract. There are several "how to" sites on the web, but this one is exceedingly detailed.

http://www.instructables.com/i d/DIY-Vanilla-Extraction/

Otter

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Do you cut the vanilla beans open when you make vanilla-infused vodka, or leave them whole?

As noted, you can get them at Honeybee. I think E&L has them too, but I tended to prefer Honeybee except for a few things, like mamones, that only E&L had.

O.

Jams

Post Number: 7766
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cut length-wise, jalapeno, trim stem top off, cut in half or rings, pit cherries.

Generally flavor is infused in just a couple of weeks, but longer doesn't hurt..

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the spices from Honeybee, too. I'm completely enamored of that store and anytime friends/family come to Detroit, to visit me, I take them there. The guacamole is perfect, simple and delicious. I'm on my way there in a few minutes. :-) I'm thirsty for some coconut water with pulp!

Otter

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

Thanks for the link - super instructable.

O.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to hear about Rafal. :-(

Guac from Honeybee....mmmm... especially on some of their home made chips! Love that place.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090224/B IZ/902240368/1001

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not convinced by the News article. The economy?... Really? I used to avoid Rafal on Saturdays because the place was so crowded. If there's any reason for fewer customers its because of the shop's increasingly dwindling stock on the shelves: a trend that started many months ago, before all the economic madness last fall.

And why so few quotes from the owners? The other News article on Hickey's closing in Grosse Pointe was filled with info from the actual owners of the business.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you enjoyed the ‘Detroit Spice Co.’ seasonings and hot sauce sold at Rafal, you can still buy them here.

Detroitspiceco.com

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pure Detroit shop in the Guardian has them, too, or did when I looked a few weeks ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.