Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The Issue of Dave Bing residence « Previous Next »
Archive through February 16, 2009Bearinabox30 02-16-09  11:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

English
Username: English

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Yep, because I'm not running for mayor!

But if I was, I'd be a better choice than Bing. After all, I managed to live in the city for almost 30 more years than he did!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does this logic also hold true for Bill Dwyer who was the Chief of police in Farmington Hills but left to be the chief in Warren?"

I guess you didn't realize the irony that Dwyer was a Detroit cop for many years before going to FH. So he's got plenty of experience to deal with the mean streets of Warren City Hall.

As for Bing, has anyone asked him if he plans to stay in the city if he doesn't get elected Mayor?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too often in cases like this, the concern is only manifested as "us vs. them", but it's really deeper than that. It's about understanding. Let's just say that if Bing had moved to Ferndale, Southfield, or Dearborn, for instance, and was coming back to the city to run for mayor that'd the discussion would be different. It's not simply being outside of the city's borders, but from where outside of the city's borders." quote

Don't know if this counts for anything but Dave has lived in Southfield the majority of the years he has been in the Metro Detroit area.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstandten, how long has he been up in Franklin? I guess that's the natural progression in Detroit. Like much of metro Detroit, he'll be out to 30 Mile Road before you know it. ;)

BTW, Mark Grebner of a prominent Lansing polling company has been doing four day averages for a few weeks, now. He has Bing and Cockrel getting through like everyone else. On the 12th, he'd said that 57% of absentee ballots had already been returned, and he's estimating absentees to be 45% of the entire vote. Regardless of how he does it, Hendrix is the only one that could conceivably upset for a second place spot, and that doesn't appear to be happening. The only thing of note is that Grebner says that there is a hint in his averages of Bing having already peaked, which wouldn't mean anything for the primaries, really, but maybe the general.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 17, 2009)

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing was in Southfield when I grew up there (1970s) as I went to school with her daughter. Don't know when they moved to Franklin, but after 1981.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for Bing, has anyone asked him if he plans to stay in the city if he doesn't get elected Mayor?"

That is the question. It seems as though every major business person makes their money in Detroit, but doesn't live in Detroit. That says alot about a person. An educated voter has to make a tough decision come election time because of how KK did this city in the past. It's not about who's the best candidate, it's about who's less likely to fail. I think Bing just wants to come in make the cuts, make as much money as he can and run back to Franklyn. Ken Cockrel and Freeman Hendrix really care about Detroit. Why, because they acually live in the city they want to serve. As far as New York goes, Bloomberg was the Mayor after the City had gone through its transition. The smart decision would be for someone who actually makes money and spends money in the city.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What I find just a little disturbing is that not only did he live in Franklin, but that he lived in a gated community in such a safe place. That does speak to something, and not something good.

Yes, there is a fair issue of aloofness when you've got a guy living in a safe suburb in a compound. Yes, it is fair to question what he thinks about urban, walkable communities, and if he'd be smart enough to choose a planning director that'd promote such a thing.

This comment reminded me of this article...

Bloomberg Campaigners Taste the High Life

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in the city does Hendrix live?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Full disclosure: I am not a Detroit voter anymore)

The bottom line is: this is an issue because it's the law.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Chrissy. Ugh. I would hope that wasn't true, but I trust Mildred. Hearing that makes me feel sick.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3774
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Where in the city does Hendrix live?

North Rosedale Park

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Gerritt's article included this:
quote:

When I asked him (Bing)why (he did not reside in the city), during a recent meeting with the Free Press editorial board, he cited his family’s safety.

This is offensive because it perpetuates a suburban mis-perception that the entirety of Detroit is a 24/7 unlivable, lawless place and only fools set foot south of Eight Mile because of the overwhelming likelihood of getting shot, carjacked or robbed. Yes, Detroit has far too much crime but it is not an unliveable place. The vast, vast majority of violent crime occurs within and between criminals. Detroit may not be as "safe" as Franklin, but everyday citizens are not being blown away by the thousands either.

You know, traffic can be awful in Oakland County. I've always thought that all of the highway fatalities there made that place unsafe. That is why I don't live there. Well, that and all of the tornado deaths every year. That dangerous Michigan weather and all. All of us really should move from Michigan so we can be more safe.

Mr. Bing, while perhaps possessing some of the integrity so sorely absent from the former administration, simply does not impress as somebody with the political and intellectual ability to lead this city.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to second Chrissy's comment about Bing's commercials. I wasn't planning to vote for him in the first place, so Bing's address change didn't bother me too much until I saw his commercial on TV, which claims:

"He retired a legend, but Dave Bing chose to stay in Detroit. He started a business, created hundreds of jobs, and refused to move into the suburbs."

Of course he could easily defend this and say that the ad means that he refused to move his BUSINESS into the suburbs. But the statement is vague -- probably by design -- and implies that Bing has lived in the city all along. In fact, Bing did EXACTLY what the ad says he didn't do -- he moved to the suburbs. That really turns me off.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't think Bing is this great hero and saint that people believe he is. Personally, I was a bit surprised at the low opinion his employees of Bing Steel have about the business and his management of it. My husband worked there for a year and he was absolutely miserable and couldn't wait to leave. Bing doesn't run it day to day, but I always felt for a business with his name on it, he should have more knowledge of what goes on - either he does, and doesn't care, or he doesn't know. Either way, not a good look for him and it severely lowered my impression of him.

Another thing about him is that people think he doesn't need the money, but you have to wonder, if he did borrow the money from the pension fund, first of all why didn't he play with his own money? And secondly, if it failed, why doesn't he reimburse the fund out of his own money? If he cares so much about the city, he surely knows what kind of damage that failed loan has done to the fund.

I think that him being Mayor would just allow him to burn through more money without people noticing, because he would be the last person they'd suspect. The feeling is, he's rich, why would he do that? Well, why DID he do it already? I can imagine as a business owner that he's got a wish list a mile long!

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, in reference to your post #897, please tell that to Monica Conyers...obviously she doesn't feel safe in Detroit and needs protection; and she doesn't feel Detroit schools are safe...after all, she's got her kid in a suburban school.

Firstandten

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to remember this as well. Mr. Bing is a successful businessman in part because the directors and VP's of purchasing for the big three made sure he did not fail. Bing was smart enough to use his BB stardom to get in the door and from there whatever they told him to do he did it. They held Bing up as their minority supplier especially GM. Now that the big 3 is tanking fast one has to wonder how that is going to affect the bottom line of the Bing Group.

Firstandten

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bing doesn't run it day to day, but I always felt for a business with his name on it, he should have more knowledge of what goes on - either he does, and doesn't care, or he doesn't know." quote

Chrissy its more along the lines of the former. he knows, but if its personnel he doesn't care, if its bottom line he does care.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline: You find it "offensive" that Bing cited his family's safety as a reason to live in the suburbs. And you say it perpetuates a suburban misperception that Detroit is "unlivable" and "lawless." I think you're over-reacting. Based on statistics and other evidence, Bing's conclusion seems reasonable and unsensational. He hardly over-stated the problem.

Mayor Cockrel talked about the problem of crime and acknowledged the problem of poor police esponse in this year's State of the City speech, just like Kilpatrick did last year. In fact, Kilpatrick went on at some length in his speech about the huge problem of burglaries in Detroit. Year after year, Detroit is near the top in virtually every category of crime. That's a fact. Just because someone understands Detroit has a serious crime problem doesn't mean he belieives it is an unlivable, lawless place.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, one thing's for sure. This guy would be a pretty drastic change from the human garbage that Detroiters are accustomed to electing at all levels of their government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HRzTJzgScOk

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macknwarren, Mr. Bing's statement readily implies a concern for the personal safety of his family. Burglaries and other property crimes are an issue in Detroit as well. Everybody knows and admits that. But property crimes and crimes of violence against persons are distinct problems and it is an apparent sensitivity to the latter which Mr. Bing suggests drove his decision to remain ensconced in the "safety" of the suburbs.

It would seem that if Mr. Bing gets elected, maybe all of Mr. Kilpatrick's former EPU cronies can apply to get their old jobs back at a unit restored to the staffing levels of its "glory" years. You can never be too safe.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swing: Bing didn't suggest "crimes of violence against persons" drove his decision to move to the suburbs. In the Free Press blog linked to above, Jeff Gerritt writes, "he cited his family’s safety." There is no suggestion about violence. This is my point. With all due respect, you're reading way too much into Bing's simple (and, admittedly, vague) reason for moving his family out of Detroit 30 years ago.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe everyone wants Detroit to have the best man to steer her in the right direction. Dave Bing is honorable for wanting to steer Detroit but he has to be "all in." Having his wife living in Franklin doesn't looks good. If he had sold his home and he and his wife had moved south of 8 Mile people would back his play. But, he still has a connection to Franklin and if he loses, he goes back to Franklin which is his right but Detroiters still have to stay in Detroit. Something people is going to think about up to the 24th.

Bobby_wobby
Username: Bobby_wobby

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT WAS A GREAT ARTICLE IN THE FREEP BY BILL MCGRAW about BINGS RESIDENCE IN FRANKLIN ,I STILL DON'T GET IT.COCKREL LIVES IN THE D ,ALWAYS HAS, BUT NOBODY IS ENDORSING HIM?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing needed to make a full committment to Detroit. His "dual-residency" doesn't mean shit to me.

He may be a business owner, but this doesn't immediately qualify him to run city government. I thank him for investing in the city, but I don't believe he's our best bet for mayor.

Cockrel's best-qualified for the job.

Threecardmonte
Username: Threecardmonte

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news!

If Bing wins Tuesday, his wife will live in Detroit! We can breathe easy.

Check it out.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4136
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

quote:

"Dave's in the condo most of the time, and I"m back and forth," she said to the Insider. "I'm not fully committed to the condo as of yet. I would say I'm like half and half. When we know he's in, that's it. That's the full commitment."

God bless you, Yvette.

Seriously, though, this one foot in/one foot out thing looks plain silly. Running for the mayor of most any city means you're not just running as a CEO, but as both the head of government and as its ceremonial leader/face to the world. I think some people don't get that, or get it, and don't like the inconvenient truth of high public office. If politics was just about hiring an administrator, we'd do away with mayor's offices altogether. Bing looks like he'd make a steady city manager in a "weak mayor" system; I'm still questioning if he would make an inspirational leader in a "strong mayor" system.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's time that they change the law to state that whomever runs for the job of mayor of Detroit must not live in the city. Living in the city obviously hasn't helped anything.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bing looks like he'd make a steady city manager in a "weak mayor" system"

Actually not. Government is not business and most people who do well in business don't do well in government. Not because government is inherently screwed up but because the nature of democratic systems don't allow business owners to operate in the same way that they run their board rooms.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Jerrytimes:

Maybe it's time that they change the law to state that whomever runs for the job of mayor of Detroit must not live in the city. Living in the city obviously hasn't helped anything.

I agree, and along with that they should get rid of that silly requirement that a person live inside Detroit in order to vote in Detroit elections.

Brg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so wrong. I guess there are thousands of Kwame Kilpatrick living in Detroit and the only hope for the city to rise from the ashes is to elect a resident from the "burbs" to run the city.

Must not live in the city!!!! That's funny.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have the candidates held debates or town hall meetings? Who is the best people person out of the lot? Which candidate exhibits the most composure in that context? Who has the plan that makes the most sense? Family values (as you define them)? Eye contact? Who does not fling a lot of dirt at the other candidates?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree, and along with that they should get rid of that silly requirement that a person live inside Detroit in order to vote in Detroit elections.

I don't think you should even have to live in Detroit in order to live in Detroit. How is the city supposed to attract residents if we keep forcing them to live here?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I agree, and along with that they should get rid of that silly requirement that a person live inside Detroit in order to vote in Detroit elections."

Only if there's reciprocity. How long do you think L. Brooks would last if Detroiters could vote in Oakland County?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4137
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Bing looks like he'd make a steady city manager in a "weak mayor" system"

Actually not. Government is not business and most people who do well in business don't do well in government. Not because government is inherently screwed up but because the nature of democratic systems don't allow business owners to operate in the same way that they run their board rooms.

I was actually paying Bing a compliment. Again, in a 'weak mayor' system, where a non-political city administrator/manager runs the day-to-day business of the city seperate from the ceremonial figureheaded mayor, I think he would be fit enough for a job like that. However, I don't see him as both a capable head of state and head of government, something a mayor/governor/president has to be, together.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a city resident, but I have long felt that suburbanites who work in the city should have some kind of say.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously hope you also believe, then, that you should have some kind of say in their affairs, then, too.

Brg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am a city resident, but I have long felt that suburbanites who work in the city should have some kind of say."

That's fine as long as Detroiters who work in the burbs have a say in every suburban community in Metro Detroit.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this: If you pay any kind of tax to the city (any city) you should be able to vote there.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about this: If you pay any kind of tax to the city (any city) you should be able to vote there.

No. How about if you want to vote in Detroit then you should live there?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brg,

It's all about the taxes.

As a non resident working in the city I still pay a small income tax for the privilege of working in the city.

However, I have no say in how it is spent.

If give the choice I'd rather not pay the tax than vote.

Dave Bing has paid a ton of money in income tax to the city and I am sure his company has paid millions.

He deserves to run for mayor.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dave Bing has paid a ton of money in income tax to the city and I am sure his company has paid millions.

He deserves to run for mayor."

Are you serious? How much do I have to put down to run for mayor of a city?
This is a representative democracy. It isn't about how much money you pay. It is about where you are a resident. Period.
By your logic, maybe if I win the lottery and toss a few million into Chicago's coffers I "deserve" to be mayor.
Taking "pay to play" to a new level...

Brg

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brian, as a resident of Detroit, I always believed it was unfair for suburbanites to pay city taxes. Truth be told, it should have be abolished years ago.

That said, Mr. Bing does deserve to be mayor if he was a full-time resident of Detroit. He is not and here lies the problem. If we used the explanation you displayed then Mike and Marian Ilitch could be mayor and president of the City Council respectfully because their companies pay millions of dollars to Detroit but there has to be rules to this game. I'm sorry but Bing is carpetbagging and if Bing loses he is going back to that gated community in Franklin and I will be still here in Detroit.

Jacqueline
Username: Jacqueline

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Citizen printed a good article on Dave Bing on Feb. 18. Go to: http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1 09&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=6919& wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat =&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&re option=&retype=&repmin=&repmax =&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pfor m=&sc=1070&hn=michigancitizen& he=.com

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You work in Detroit, you pay the city you work in. Bottom line you should be glad you got a job.

I don't know what Bings intentions are but I think if your running for the citys' top position then you should live there. I would've felt better if he said he couldn't sell his house in Franklyn, but to just buy a condo and never be there screams ulterior motive.

You can't run a campaign from across eight mile and expect to win this election.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by English:

Only if there's reciprocity. How long do you think L. Brooks would last if Detroiters could vote in Oakland County?

No, Detroiters should not be allowed to vote in Oakland County. In fact, Detroiters shouldn't be allowed to vote in Detroit!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5772
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care where he lives if he can be an effective leader that brings financial stability and integrity to the city.

As far as I'm concerned if he is the best for the job (and I don't know if he is or isn't) he can stay in his current home. The image of that would be bad but the city needs real results and real leadership moreso than concerns over how something looks.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, Detroiters should not be allowed to vote in Oakland County. In fact, Detroiters shouldn't be allowed to vote in Detroit!

Cause all Detroiters are so stupid? And the jokes keep on coming! No love for Detroiters on DetroitYes.

Almost 50% of Detroiters were smart enough to vote against Kwame in 2005 (or more, if you consider that the election was probably fixed). Can you give us some credit?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5774
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all fo the bitching about paying taxes in Detroit why have I never heard anyone complain about paying taxes in the 16 other Michigan communities that have an income tax?

Never once have I heard someone bitch about paying Pontiac taxes.

Firstandten

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters don't have to explain to anybody for voting for Kwame. Hindsight is always 20-20. He was a bad apple, those things happen sometimes. Just as I wouldn't come down on people who voted for Nixon or Macomb county residents who voted for William Hackel, or Illinois residents for voted for three crooked gov's .

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Almost 50% of Detroiters were smart enough to vote against Kwame in 2005 (or more, if you consider that the election was probably fixed). Can you give us some credit?

I'll give you some credit when you learn to differentiate between Crumbled_pavement's sarcasm and actual city-bashing.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Residence is a false issue. English your logic is moronic - someone in a local jail for years is also a resident.

With Detroit facing serious problems - wake up and look for the most qualified candidate- Detroit can't afford any more idiots.

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's the question being asked, is he an idiot for trying to fake like he actually lives in the city? According to his comercials one would think he has lived in Detroit proper all his life after BB.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm or city bashing? That's a matter of opinion. And it's not about bashing the city, it's about bashing Detroiters, which happens here ALL THE TIME. The post I referenced is just one of many I've seen.

But I just want to clarify, once I learn to psychically intuit that a fairly straightforward post was actually supposed to be sarcasm, then I'll be deemed smart enough to cast a vote? Or something like that?

P.S. Many a truth (or a true opinion) are posted in jest and not all jokes are funny.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sarcasm or city bashing? That's a matter of opinion. And it's not about bashing the city, it's about bashing Detroiters, which happens here ALL THE TIME. The post I referenced is just one of many I've seen.

It does happen all the time on here, but the post you referenced is not an example of that.
quote:

But I just want to clarify, once I learn to psychically intuit that a fairly straightforward post was actually supposed to be sarcasm, then I'll be deemed smart enough to cast a vote? Or something like that?

Casting a vote has nothing to do with anything. I don't know where that came from. All I'm saying is, I'll eat my computer if Crumbled_pavement actually posted that because he hates Detroiters. Both the context of the thread and Crumbled_pavement's prior posting history point toward it being sarcastic.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would complain about paying income tax in any city I did not work in.

I don't see how I receive any more for the city I work in that the person driving through or the person visiting for the day.

Aren't we a country today because people living in the colonies were tired of taxation without representation?

This is a big part of why businesses moved out of the city and are not moving back!

deteamster,

If I you didn't understand my logic because it was logical.

Fact is he has a residence in the city. He has paid taxes in the city for a long time. Not bribes. Taxes. Now he wants a say in how the city is run and he has every right to run for mayor.

If you want to talk about "pay to play" start looking at your former mayor and most of the council then work your way down.

Brg

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brian, I caught your comment: "Fact is he has a residence in the city. He has paid taxes in the city for a long time. Not bribes. Taxes. Now he wants a say in how the city is run and he has every right to run for mayor." and I would like to state a few things at you.

Fact is he has a residence in the city. ---Yes, he does has a residence in the city but is it his primary residence? We know the answer and Mr. Bing knows that this is a problem. That is why his wife said if he wins, she is coming to Detroit to live with her husband.

He has paid taxes in the city for a long time. Not bribes. Taxes. ---Yes, he has been paying taxes to Detroit but he chooses, not forced, chooses to pay those taxes for the right to do business in the city.

Now he wants a say in how the city is run and he has every right to run for mayor. ---I have nothing but high praise for Mr. Bing for wanting that. I believe he cares about Detroit and want to see the old city bounce back. However, it comes back to the title of this thread: The Issue of Dave Bing residence. If he wants a say, he has to come all in.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Bear. Maybe I just don't know CP's style yet. :-)

But it would be funny to see you eat your computer.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: