Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old-school Detroit restaurants (and perhaps other institutions) « Previous Next »
Archive through February 15, 2009Grumpyoldlady30 02-15-09  5:22 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stanley's Other Place on the SW corner of Woodward and 8 mile. Been there since 1979, but has some of the furnishing and certainly the menu of the older Stanley's restaurants. Food is good. NOT open for lunch.....

Did the Red Devil on Fenkell by Greenfield interior and/or food get messed up by the new owner? Since it became a sports bar with restaurant, I have not been inside...Can anyone clue us in?

Bob's Pizza on 7 mile seems a good as ever for both food and pizza. It is takeout, but has been the same since the 60's

Also, Sun China at Mc Nichols and Telegraph (behind the Valero). The food is still excellent. They have beer and wine and dine in service, but most take out. Sad to say they just put in a bulletproof window and had a security guard on New Year's Eve, but food was still classic 1960's Detroit Chinese (but come to think of it, they did not give me a dinner roll with the dine in like they do on take out....

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think this thread switched from being about old school restaurants and bars that are still open to old school restaurants and bars that have closed.

on the "still open" list, has anyone ever checked out an italian place called giovanni's restorante on the west side of the city? i just read about it on yelp and it gets rave reviews.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6675
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One old honest haunt that I haven't frequented in years and still noticed it's still there is Mr. Mike's on Woodward just south of the Boulevard. Has anyone been in there as of late. Obviously it must be doing okay to have lasted all of these years.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Bar on seven mile has been there since the 20s, Scotty Simpson's Fish and Chip's in Brightmoor has been there since 1950.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot all about Cadena's; wasn't it off Michigan? When I worked in the Detroit Bank and Trust Building/Comerica Bank Building we'd walk to Cadena's for lunch and when it was really full they would open up tables in the kitchen.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one can't mention hygrade without bringing to mind mike's famous ham, also on michigan. and is nick's gaslight still open? or how about carl's chop house? i still like mario's, roma cafe, and dakota inn.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to mr. mike's a month ago or so. alive and well and awesome!

nick's gaslight is still kicking. not sure about carl's chop house. i think i remember reading that it closed?? i could be wrong...

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read recently that Carl's is remodeling. Don't know if it's true but the rumor is that the owner filed for a "topless" permit.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl's Chop House is closed. I doubt that it will reopen. How about Laffrey's Steaks on the Hearth for a good steak? It's located on Seven Mile around the Grand River and Telegraph area.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Steaks by the ounce Capers on Gratiot between 7 mile and State Fair (7 1/2 mile) on East side of street. Best deals in town for steaks.

In Eastern Mkt Cutters Bar great Burgers and cheap beer, On Orleans street

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Tavern, Stonehouse, Lou's deli on 6 mile, Greg's Pizza on 7, La Dolce Vita, Buddy's on Conant,
Bronx Bar, Mexican Village,.....Lafayette Coney's but only at 3 am, I miss Rivertown Saloon, and the old Woodbridge.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boyfriend took me to the Caucus Club in the Penobscot building on Saturday for Valentine's Day. At 7 p.m. on a major restaurant holiday the place was only 30% full. However, the atmosphere was great, the service was decent and the food was wonderful (so was the champagne, ha). Easy parking, too. We had a really great time. 

It definitely felt old school, old Detroit. I know a lot of lawyers and journalists go there during the day for lunch, and I think I may start (they have a cheaper lunch menu). We talked about hitting up some other Detroit classics while they're still around -- Rattlesnake, Mario's, Roma, and we've been enjoying the Dakota, Sinbad's, and Buddy's (Conant) for a while now. Good thread.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to start a list of places that I want to eat/drink at in Detroit. I still laugh when my up north cousins think that Buddy's on PlymouthRd in Livonia is the original. Threads like this are good for jogging my memory of the good places still left open in the motor city.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289, i actually started my list last month after seeing a thread on here. there were so many places i had never heard of and forgot about. it is like about 3 pages long now. i have it separated by area (downtown, corktown, midtown, southwest, etc.). i've been to a few since i started the list. now, i'm starting a list of favorites, the places i would recommend and continue to go to. it has been a lot of fun.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a fancy jazz supper club on Woodward across from Palmer Park in the 70's?

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nelson's Hamburgers on 9 mile at Coolidge

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robtruth,...I think you are talking about the piano bar next to the Backstage Deli. The current location of La Dolce Vita. Backstage used to be on 7mile,...then they moved to woodward. Great memories of the Backstage! The piano bar was adjacent to the deli,..cool atmosphere and (tee hee) you could drink with a fake id.
FYI - Pete's Cafe in Pleasant ridge is owned by the Backstage owner. Not the same atmosphere I here. Have yet to go but is on my list,....

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bar next to Backstage deli, actually in the same building was called the Footlights. It was very elegant but was in the mid-eighties.

There was a supper club with evening music on Woodward near Seven mile in the Sixties/Seventies called Edjo's ? It was sold in the very late seventies and became a Strip club.
Several big headline shootings there.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the smorgasboard at Sweden House? Where was that, anyway? It was before I could drive, so I really wasn't paying attention.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only Sweden House I remember was in the suburbs on the north side I think. Was only there once.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Sveden house at West Chicago and Telegraph, or Joy and Telegraph, one of those strip malls. My uncle Jim tells a funny story of being thrown out of there for eating too much at the "All you can eat buffet".

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Dyke Place...a classic
Rhinoceros....warehouse district
Soup Kitchen....warehouse district
The Glass House on Mcnichols next to Menjo's

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Sveden House in St. Clair Shore at 13 and Harper. It was on the northeast corner, than it moved across the street into the shopping plaza. I believe there was also one at Hall and Schoenherr, by Mervyns.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, with mentions of places like Van Dyke Place and Rhinoceros the thread is slipping back to being about closed restaurants rather than open ones.

I see someone mentioned Giovanni's above, which is definitely still open out on Oakwood a few blocks west of the Rouge bridge. Good place serving well-made classic northern Italian cuisine. Not cheap, to be sure, but a really nice night out with friendly people. The owners are from Detroit's community, once centered in that neighborhood, of families from the tiny country of San Marino. Some of their in-house pastas are still made by an 83 year old San Marinese lady, who just happens to be the mother of a very good friend of mine.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, you sure you're not talking about Tres Monti out in Troy? I thought there was only ONE San Marinese joint in town, and it was Tres, next door to the San Marino club.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, although I am aware of the San Marino Club and its restaurant. But Giovanni's has been down in Oakwood since the late '60s when it was a little pizza place and the neighborhood was full of people from San Marino and eastern Emilia-Romagna. The Free Press did a story a few years ago on my friend's mother. Here's a News review that mentions her:

http://events.detnews.com/detr oit-mi/venues/show/72884-giova nnis-ristorante

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if it would qualify as an Old School Restaurant, but The Whitney was built in 1894. I was only there once, but it was incredible!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of years ago I went to a Christmas Party at a place called Roman Gardens. It was fantastic and had been around for a long time but I had never heard about it. It was right on the Detroit/Dearborn border.

Alexander72
Username: Alexander72

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little known joint stuck in the middle of Greektown.If youre from the South, and you know what real down home cookin's all about...and you dig on Ribs, Greens, Cornbread,Mac-n-Cheese like you know its supposed to be cooked...in portions like your Mama used to put on a plate......
END ZONE!
text/plainend zone
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander,

Where is it? That sounds like my kind of place.

O.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.