Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » WDET & Ann Delisi- local music back on the air! « Previous Next »
Archive through February 10, 2009Smogboy30 02-10-09  4:15 am
Archive through February 28, 2009Smogboy30 02-28-09  3:46 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind hearing that doesn't initially strike a chord with me - that's how you get to hear new stuff that you've never heard before :-)

I missed Ann's show today. I'm listening to Robert Jones now, but it sure does seem much more like a SUnday-ey show.

BTW, Robert Jones is performing at a (free!) blues festival in Dundee this evening.

I don't know if Sunday afternoon amd evening is considered a radio graveyard, but like kielson it is one of my favorite times to listen.

O.

O.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6735
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Sunday afternoons chilling to cool music has always been a tonic to the hectic work week ahead.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 509
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, glad to hear from Halloran...glad you're doing well, Mike, we had some great times at WDET...
Second, the Golden Years of 'DET been gone for a while, I realize I'm biased in stating this, each generation has it's 'golden days'. For a while in the 80's and early 90's we had a monster Saturday line up: Robert Jones, Matt Watroba, Larry McDaniel, Detroit Jazz Alive, Jazz Yesterday, 52nd Street, followed by John Sinclair or Ernie Durham and ending with the inimitable Famous Coachman. Heady times...

Smogboy

Post Number: 6739
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just that Saturday lineup you mentioned there Jimg is much more formidable than what most NPR stations serve up in a week with regards to diversity and just knowledgeable musical people.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, I'd like Judy Adams back. She did many nice things with her show like interviews and food talk with The Merchant of Vino, Zingerman's, Avalon Bakery, restaurants, etc. I've just about had it with the 'All News and Political Talk' format.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Halloran, you got more play in the Renaissance High School lunchroom (via cassette from the previous days show) than Mojo. It was hard on the west side tune in LBS, but we listened thru the static, regularly. Thanks to guys like you and Mojo, everyone crossed-over and broadened their musical horizons. Thanks.

Is St. Andy still out there?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6770
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww... someone just had to mention the ol' WLBS days. It makes me wonder what happened to some of the other deejays like Francis Tinsley, Gerald McBride and John Bailey.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6771
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And wasn't there another female voice on WLBS back in those days besides Francis Tinsley as well? Maybe she was just on weekends or something like that but somehow that rings a bell.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive heard McBride doing commercial spots.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg wrote:

"For a while in the 80's and early 90's we had a monster Saturday line up: Robert Jones, Matt Watroba, Larry McDaniel, Detroit Jazz Alive, Jazz Yesterday, 52nd Street, followed by John Sinclair or Ernie Durham and ending with the inimitable Famous Coachman. Heady times..."

I would have to agree about this line-up very much.

Before Jimg did "Detroit Jazz Alive" he did "Jazz yesterday" (my uncle Bud had "Jazz Today"). Those were great times too.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a lot of running around to do both Saturday and Sunday, so I had a chance to listen to most of Ann's show both days. Great stuff; I still need find time to check out the playlists so I can grab a number of the songs off of iTunes. Guess our musical tastes are nearly identical - I didn't hear one song I didn't like.

I have to concur about the old weekend lineups though, in retrospect, they were almost legendary.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6773
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman, that's the beauty of listening to a show like Ann's! Even if she played music you didn't like (I'm sure she will), it at least makes you want to go out and GET some of that music. Record companies should be lining up shows like this to expose their musicians to a broader audience to help spur sales. We, as a listening audience are that much richer because we got educated to new music.

Ann's a professional when it comes to selecting and listening to music- as all deejays should be (instead of replaceable motuhpieces on the radio) and she's earned my trust with her music selection. That was the magic of great deejays in the past like the WABX folks and The Electrifying Mojo.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local media blogger Don Tanner agrees with WazootyMan, SmogBoy and countless others.
quote:

Ann Delisi is a radio and music revolutionary, visionary and true proponent of not just local music and artists, but great music in general (often that which does not enjoy widespread airplay due to industry politics and/or lack of corporate promotion).

Her work with the original River (CIDR) in the 90s was among the finest I have ever experienced anywhere.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Mike Halloran thanks for clearing that up and glad to have you post here.

Have good memories of those super late night programs of "Radio in Motion" and particularly of that Porsche 914 you sold me. A great car for good times. Thanks!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a few years back when Delisi hosted a show on WJR once a week (after "Patterns in Music"
was canned). I knew it was too good to last at the time, but I'm glad to hear she's back on the air.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mike,

Looks like I missed you by a few years..I'm Phil Mendelson, and was at DET from 1969 through 1974, seeing both Judy Adams and Jim G come on board during that time. Did lots of on air, including filling in for RJ's uncle Bud quite a bit on Jazz Today.

Phil

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mike,

Looks like I missed you by a few years..I'm Phil Mendelson, and was at DET from 1969 through 1974, seeing both Judy Adams, Jim G, and Jerry Stormer come on board during that time. Did lots of on air, including filling in for RJ's uncle Bud quite a bit on Jazz Today.

Phil

Halloran
Username: Halloran

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i sit here in san diego, U2 is on the radio live from los angeles. i wonder if anyone has the tape of them live on wdet before the royal oak music theater show. ????

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, I recall that show of yours but don't have a recording of it. I went to their Royal Oak show but Bono's vocals were booming, drowning out the Edge's guitar, so I didn't stay for the entire show.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll take DET a long time to bring back and build up their listeners, if they're capable of any consistency. Nothing against Ann DeLisi. I've enjoyed her program, but DET alienated so many listeners in the past 6 or 7 years, that the old loyalty and habits are gone. I spoke to a couple of former DET musical hosts last night. They both expressed a desire and willingness to return. I can't believe they were ever released. It takes a lot of focus and effort to remember to tune into DET, after not listening with any regularity for years. And they moved Matt and Larry to make room for Ann. A few weeks ago, I was at a concert at a coffeehouse in A2. The host/MC, read a note from Matt announcing the program changes for his and Larry's show. She said 'they were being moved to the graveyard shift for radio shows, where shows go to die'. Not an exact quote. I don't know if it was Matt's own words, but it sure seemed to convey his feelings.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, it will take DET a long time to build listeners back up. They claimed they became the leading source for news, but it is hard to take them seriously on news when they have someone like Amy Miller murdering the news. The know the NPR stuff is the same, but I turned to WUOM for my news because I could not take listening to Amy Miller mispronouncing words that stuttering all the time. Ann Delisi is a nice start, and at least they did not can Ed Love, but they have a long ways to go.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big Ed Love fan, but I agree it's good DET didn't can him. He's a legend in his own mind and, in all honesty, in the larger jazz world too. I wasn't crazy about Martin Bandyke or Judy Adams, but they were treated badly by DET. They could've both stayed with minor tweaking of their shows. We could go on and on about the mis-steps of DET in the last few years. I hope they re-consider at least an equal amount of music to news format. I don't listen to news all day, especially in this economic climate and I'd switch to DET if they changed. WEMU's music offerings don't much appeal to me. The DET sunday music line-up they discarded a couple of years ago was the best thing going from early AM sunday through early AM monday. Couldn't beat it.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5962
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Willie Wilson and Jon Penney. And Democracy Now!

Otter

Post Number: 672
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kielson,

if you can listen to internet radio, try KFAI in Minneapolis / St. Paul. they have terrific music programming.

I agree with you about the Sunday programming from a few years back! I'm thinking of until about 4 years ago when Kim Heron was still on at night. I can't remember what replaced Sunday mornings after they ended Chris Felcyn's show.

O.

Bob

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, you can now listen to Chris Felcyn's show on Sunday morning on WRCJ, which also has DSO broadcasts, DSO Unmasked, and Artafacts program.

Otter

Post Number: 673
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

What is his current show like?

O.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldred, I'm with you on that one, #5962. Otter, I'll check KFAI out. Thanks. But, part of the desire to have the old programming back on DET is to have the local flavor. Sundays, shortly before WDET started wrecking the programming, went something like this: Chris Felcyn, Robert Jones, John Penny, Alan Mazurek and the DSO, W. Kim Heron, Ralph Valdez and Liz Copeland. I mean that was a DYNO-mite line up! I remember many sundays, reading the paper (they're gone too), listening to DET from sun up to past sun down. I personally don't ever remember an entire days radio line up like that, in my lifetime. Other than Chris Felcyn, they were all disposed of by DET management. I spoke to a DET radio host shortly after Felcyn left and before the others were canned, including him. He said Felcyn opted to go to WRCJ because they offered him a full time position.

Otter

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it....that was probably the best daily lineup ever. It's true, listening to a station out of the twin cities doesn't give you local flavor, but at least you get the music. I rather like MSP (except for the weather) so I don't mind. But I'd much rather have it on WDET, even though I moved last year. I love Detroit, and it's my preferred 'local flavor' :-)

O.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if DET reached out to the community for long enough they might gain some listeners back. They've had a great list of talented on air personalities and station involvement in the community. If DET thinks they're going to be a powerhouse NPR outlet, they have another dozen things coming, like Boston's and NYC's stations. Not to mention their competition in this marketplace - WEMU, WUOM, WRCJ, WGTE(Toledo?), and those don't include the Canadian stations. I've listened to about 4 of those stations just this morning.

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Bob, we get it. you do not like Amy Miller in the mornings because of her slight miscues of the words, and I emphasize slight,.....I cannot agree with you of her "murdering the news" however. I wish that DET would have daily music shows but since my job does not allow me to listen to radio during the day (teaching) I am very happy the Ann is on the weekends. I "grew up" listening to her, glad that she is back.
I also love Amy in the morning, like the new program changes, and wish Detroit Today was a better show!

So, Bob, bitch about something else!

Bob

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point with Amy Miller is she sounds like she does not know what she is doing, and she does not. She is particularly bad when she interviews someone. She sounds like she is on a high school radio program. For a station that put all its emphasis on news, having her run the morning really makes it hard to take them seriously. Detroit Today could be a much better show than it ends up being. With Detroit being such a large Metro area, you think we would have a better public radio/NPR station. I blame Coleman. But for them to be the powerhouse station they once were, they are going to have to upgrade to someone better than Amy Miller. But unfortunately, I fear no talent wants to come to this station, since all our talent that was no fired took jobs at other stations for better pay, hours, etc.

(Message edited by bob on March 14, 2009)

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob, i'm with you on amy miller. her voice and mispronounciations really get to me, not to mention her jokes. when she comes on, i usually tune out.

i'm also unimpressed by ann delisi. she has a nice voice and does a fine job (and i remember listening to her with my parents when i was a little kid), but i'm not crazy about her music - it's just not very interesting in my opinion, and the local music she tends to play isn't that good.

in any case, i'm happy to have her on if it keeps everyone satisfied who was so upset about judy adams and martin bandyke leaving. i could never understand all the fuss: their shows weren't that good and if i want to hear music, i have tons of other options. what i don't have another outlet to hear on the air are great public radio shows (living right near WDET, I can't get WUOM on my radio). i would far rather have more of those than crappy music djs.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6806
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I like the fact that Ann Delisi doesn't play everything I want to hear. I like the notion that she's introducing some stuff that I might have never have heard. If I wanted to hear every genre that I wanted to hear I would've just opened up my personal iTunes library and be done with. For every song that Delisi plays that I don't like, I know that there's probably a few that I will like. Some of which I'm actually willing to go out and purchase. How many times has that happened to any of us within the last few years where we heard something on the radio and wanted to rush out to obtain or download?

It's not JUST about having options to listening to music, it's about listening to all forms of music, being somewhat informed about them and then letting us shape our own musical tastes. What one person considers crappy some others might consider gold; I'm not one to so cavalierly say anyone else's taste is lousy- it's just different than mine.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, ditto from me. Thanks. You said it well.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

smogboy - i didn't mean to dismiss anyone's taste as "crappy." obviously there are many kinds of music and just because it isn't my taste doesn't make it lousy.

i listen to very broad range of music and i certainly enjoy hearing new music and actively seek it out. i agree that it would be nice to come across new music on the radio, but i listen to ann's show most weekends at work and have yet to hear her play anything that was new to me that i wished to "rush out to obtain or download."

for the record, i have heard some good local bands i've been unfamiliar with (along with lots of good familiar ones) live on detroit today.

my personal preference would still be to hear more npr or pri shows and not the music shows wdet programs.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6813
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Essential Detroit's only been on the air for all of three weekends. I'm sure there are still plenty of people submitting new stuff for Ann Delisi to go over. Heck, she doesn't even have any sort of theme music yet!

Right now, it's just nice to be able to hear ANY sort of radio programming that has a regional flavor to it. I'd still say give Ann a chance to start breaking out some more stuff as she gets more comfortable with the place; I'm sure there's just plenty of cool new stuff that a person like her has to sort through to play. Disagree with her musical choices (I do at times too) but it's still a lot more diversified than anything else you'll hear on the Detroit dial.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: