Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Mercury Coffee Bar. Two thumbs up « Previous Next »
Archive through February 09, 2009Spiritofdetroit30 02-09-09  9:44 pm
Archive through February 10, 2009Lowell30 02-10-09  5:48 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I found it interesting that a small coffee shop had 8 partners... is this true?"

Interesting isn't even the word ...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that closing didn't last very long.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090210/B IZ/902100446/1361

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I found it interesting that a small coffee shop had 8 partners... is this true?"

Interesting isn't even the word ...

What is the word? Clusterfuck, maybe?

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! Glad to hear it's opening again.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so first they say they are losing X-amount of dollars a day, and that's while it closed, and now they are saying that the business is revivable because they've been seeing sales increase. It'd be nice to have a nice, honest answer so that some of our BS detectors would stop blaring.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan: Those statements are not incompatible. You can have increasing sales yet still lose money. My guess is that they were able to convince investors that they were adjusting to the market and were making progress towards being profitable, and just needed a bit time and/or more investment to help cover the start-up costs.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$280 a day isn't a huge loss, especially for a new business. They just need committed investors willing to wait for profitability -- and a good plan to get there quick. I trust they have both.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbard, I realize that they aren't incompatible, but the loss was originally given as the reason the place closed. This is a trust issue, really, and they aren't being frank. If they truly now have their house in order, it's good to see them back, but if they just hanging on and trying to convince their customers otherwise, they are insulting their customer's intelligence.

Cjd
Username: Cjd

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird that they were "undercapitalized" so they trimmed down the number of investors??
Whatever the case, if they can get rid of the $3.85 brownies (really) and get some food with a reasonable combination of price and quality to go with the coffee, they just might survive.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay, I noticed the mention of eight partners in the News article also. For such a small business that would seem to be disastrous. maybe some of the eight are silent partners not involved in day-to-day business? that's too many people with too many opinions. It would be comparable to Detroit Yes opening a small business. :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not reopening friday. They called the employees tonight. Shitty way to treat your employees.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think it to be very short-sighted of this business to be closed now. In four weeks you will have about 100,000 people lining that part of Michigan Avenue as part of the St. Patrick's Parade, and that will be followed-up closely again with thousands going to Corktown on St. Pat's day. They have been advertising this place for several years and they have an opportunity to market themselves or show that they are just another fly-by-night with a bad business plan.

To close down while evaluating your business is a poor idea. Refocus on what sells, get rid of what don't, introduce new items. It ain't rocket science.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You also have all the detour traffic coming from the bridge that drives by everyday, as well as the detour of michigan avenue. Alot of traffic that won't be there when the gateway project is finished.

Also...$9 for a sandwhich, which is no means comparable to a sandwhich from Russel Street, Mudgies an/or Ephs!

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any ideas of a revised re-opening date? I really like the place, but all this mystery is a little frustrating.

Kryptonite

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the wait time for coffee there? If they specialize in 'slow coffee' maybe that's part of the problem. A lot of people like to grab a to-go coffee in a hurry, not many people have the free time to lounge around and wait for their java.

Coffee is a high-profit sales item, making it available quickly to go is the way to sell coffee.

True, the St. Patrick's Day parade and St. Patty's day are high traffic days along MI Ave. And the Friday before the parade the Gaelic League has special events.

Organic is always more expensive. I wouldn't think it would be a great approach in a lower income area. SW Detroit is not Birmingham or W. Bloomfield.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kryptonite, they do offer a "Fast" brew for those on the go. My average wait time for their slow brews has been between 5-10 minutes, depending on the crowed.

Kryptonite

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know, I would like to stop by there some weekend that I'm in downtown and I'm not a person to wait for coffee except if they are brewing a fresh pot.

And info from another Jonesy no less. thanks

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their sign had said that they were closed for renovations and would be open Thursday, with Thursday crossed out and Friday written in. When I saw the sign there was no evidence of renovation activity inside. Today they're still closed with a "Reopening soon" sign.

I don't want to offend anybody working there. I love the place and am a regular. But shortening hours and being closed unexpectedly is one of the most poisonous things to do for a business. It is worse than if they were out of coffee. I don't like people to lose their jobs, but if they're losing so much money per day, the answer is to go with what is working well -- coffee -- and axe what isn't -- the restaurant portion. With just coffee the place can be run with no more than two people per shift.

If you open a solid business in Detroit people will love you. They seemed quite successful based on the number of people coming in, but not when countered with the overhead. Mercury can thrive as a coffeehouse, but they have a lot to figure out as a restaurant. Long live Mercury Coffee Bar.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Huchen.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is they aren't going to reopen any time soon, if ever. I hope I'm wrong, but the evidence suggests I'm not.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They went wrong by offering the whole foods crap in a town that doesn't know anything about what foods are good for them.

Why don't they just serve the Slows overflow crowd. Put a couple more cooks in the kitchen at Slows and run food orders over to Mercury Bar. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! They do this in other cities with popular restaurants.

I always try to go to Slows but if the wait is like an hour or more I just go somewhere else. If I could just go across the street to order I deff would. Other than that I don't see them being as successful as we would all hope.

/...my.2¢...\

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah...

STAY OPEN 24 HOURS?

There is less and less available in town at night, if one decent business was open 24 hours or at least until 1am I would be there all the time.

I'm sick of business that close early or don't follow there own posted hours. Makes me just turned off to a business when I get some friends together to go out and when I get there...Bubkiss, freaking closed even though the hours say different.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good grief, chitaku! i'm sure they would like to be open and aren't trying to treat their employees poorly.

give them a break!

Chitaku

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not giving them a break, they did me and my friends who worked there dirty. The whole thing is a big joke.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still looked closed today, stools up, etc.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 892
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we should make a list of restaurants remodeling/reopening in detroit, like "agave."

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooo! Ooo! Shield's. Your turn.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cellars at the Ponchatrain

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post Bar, Grand Circus Park

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Como's on Woodward

Chitaku

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadillac center

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what's the latest about the Mercury? Has it re-opened? Will it re-open?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it has not yet reopened

Chitaku

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not going to either

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, why do you say that? Do you have confidential or inside information? You did work there, correct?

Chitaku

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not opening because my friend who worked there till the end was told so. They pissed away so much money before opening that I knew they were screwed from the get go.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't blame me for that. It took so long to open it, and such a short time to close it.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know a thing about the issues that the many partners have to work through to sort things out, but if they are going to close for sure they should immediately turn the space over to someone else to continue with a coffeeshop in the same location. They most definitely had enough traffic to have a coffeehouse succeed in the same location under different management.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed . . . especially with the demise of the Starbucks locations, Detroit is underserved with plain old shops that serve espresso drinks and little else. Set up good wi-fi, serve a good cup of joe, maybe get some muffins from Avalon, and they will come!

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe con Leche has re-opened on Vernor near Scotten - M-F at 7am, Sat and Sun at 10.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard (from a friend) that the new space is rather plain-looking, but I liked it in its old space and I like Jordi. It is worth a visit.

O.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I liked the old space, too. But the timing of the road work and the opening of the Mercado were a disaster in the making. I'm hoping he can make a go of it in the new space.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inside is a little bit on the plain side, although there are a few intriguing pieces of art on the walls and some other flourishes in it. Maybe Ladybug Gallery at the Whitdell could lend them a few pieces? It is in a much better location now. It fits in much better in that restored historic building with the big windows overlooking the park.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.