Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Michael Phelps « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a hard time judging a 20 something year old single male for smoking weed at a frat party. In fact been there, done that. I do have an issue with the persons who published that photo for their own personal greed.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Times sure have changed. When I was a kid in the 70's we would party and sneek around on our parents. Today I get ratted out by my kids.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not your typical 23 year old. He's being paid millions to endorse products and maintain a clean image.

With just about everyone having a camera in their pocket this guy has to be smarter than that.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be phoney to make a buck. Or in his case millions of bucks

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK, It also shows that people are in the dark about marijuana. One of my doctors tells me that it's beneficial in treating more than 40 serious diseases, however the government, with help from the liquor lobby, got it classified in the same vain as heroine. Some of his endorsers have come to ignore this incident, which they should. Michigan adopted medical marijuana in November. It's about time that those against pot should become informed and do research and find out the true facts. Beer, wine, legal pain killers are much more harmful and cause more deaths than marijuana. I'm sure you've heard of a beer brawl but never heard of a marijuana brawl. I don't smoke it, but did in the 70's and know first hand that people are misinformed about it. Before you make judgement, for or against, I would ask you to do intensive research and not just believe hearsay rumors.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty tricky debate here.

While being looked at by millions of youths as a hero and role model, Michael Phelps needs to be more careful. He deserves every right to experiment in life like the next guy, but in his case he needs to exercise (pun) more caution when doing it.

The real crime is the sensationalized, celebrity glitz media craze that has the US by the balls. Shows like TMZ, perez hilton, Entertainment tonight, etc. only push that snowball down the hill faster. Because of who michael is, every clown with a camera phone is waiting to catch him picking his nose and up. A shame to society.

I think Michael Phelps will rebound like a champ (another one) on this situation. Even if the media tries to crucify him, he will come back in a couple years and win 5+ more gold medals. Take that papparazzi scumbags!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't Phelps' responsibility to be a role model. All he is required to do is swim. This whole story shows how messed up the country is. Families are losing their jobs, homes, etc. The World is on the breaking point of a WW3 and the story is on a 23 yr old tokin up?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9397
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It isn't Phelps' responsibility to be a role model. All he is required to do is swim.

It isn't Kellogg's responsibility to pay him millions of dollars, either. They will if they feel it is beneficial to them, right now they do not. Don't worry, Phelps isn't running out of money any time soon.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Marijuana Policy Project is asking for a boycott of all Kellogg products. The interview last night on WJR was pretty interesting. The spokesperson stated that while boycotts are never really successful, boycotts do provide the opportunity for a spokesperson to get on-air time to talk about the issue they represent. Dood made some pretty good points and came across very well.

Kinda ironic to call for a boycott of muchies, but hey ... it brings about awareness.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9406
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a dumb boycott. Kellogg's doesn't make drug policy, they make cereal. Phelps' contract expires end of February, they just aren't renewing it.

If the pot patrol wants to boycott something, they should boycott Dow chemical for getting it made illegal in the first place.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This lapse in judgment was perfect timing for some of his sponsors. They get the big post Olympic benefit from his endorsement and just as that starts to wind down the economy tanks to the point where they can say, "Gee, maybe we don't feel as comfortable with this guy now."

By the way, the marijuana picture doesn't bother me near as much as the earlier running a stop sign while underage drinking, while driving over the limit charge.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somewhat agree, Johnlodge. As I cited above, the spokesperson really isn't counting the actual physical boycott of Kellogg to create change, the MPP will get on air time to educate people regarding legalization.

While I'm not a stakeholder in this fight, I can see a compelling argument from the MPP organization. Even more so, in these tough economic times it may be time for our folks in government to take a look at legalization as a means to realize additional revenue.

Not only will "we" see more money flow into the the general budget; massive savings will be realized through the elimination of low-level pot offenders in the jail system and the elimination of the massive drug enforcement agencies related to throwing pot smokers in jail.

401don -- I agree as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.