Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008-2009 Spartan Basketball « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartan basketball is exciting. Izzo is a good coach. Let's talk about it here.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good win at Crisler. Now rest and prepare for Tuesday night game against Big Ten favorite Purdue.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many turnovers.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was brutal. too many turnover and too many missed shots. I think that the week off they had didn't help them. They looked rusty.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was brutal. too many turnover and too many missed shots. I think that the week off they had didn't help them. They looked rusty.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wore down the Badgers. Keeping the conference loses at 3 would be great.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 949
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU is a very mercurial team. I think they are the most talented team in the conference by a long shot, but their seniors lack the leadership needed to keep them playing at a high level for long periods of time. Those lapses can be killer. Great comeback on saturday, but Suton needs to play that hard all game every game.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4508
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN GO SPARTANS! WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE IN THE BIG TEN. First the Spartans are going to bring the Big Ten tournament trophy home. Next the NCAA National Championship Trophy home where it belongs.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice win against Illinois. First half of Q4 MSU seemed without the will to maintain dominance. Second half of Q4 MSU dropped the lethargy and had staying power.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 963
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU earned at least a share of the Big Ten Title. First time in a long time. Feels good.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go right through for MSU!!!

Outright Big Ten Champions!!! Hopefully we get a win against Purdue to close out the regular season and then win the BTT. That should be enough to get us a #1 seed.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Vetalalumni & El_jimbo account for all but 1(now 2) of the DY support for such a great season.

Congrats to MSU, and shave Coach Izzo's head! In fact, for team unity, why not shave everyone on the team's heads! Do it!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there is truth to that Metro Detroit Blue Wall they have been talking about for decades.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj,

there is no question that the Blue Wall exists. If Michigan had won the Big Ten Championship you'd better believe it would be MUCH more prominent. MSU winning couldn't even get top billing on the sports section over a regular season Pistons game.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God for Raymar Morgan! Great to see him back on his game. Without that spectacular last minute dunk we might not be celebrating yet.

Eastburn

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I guess it was a slam, eh?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they certainly made things interesting...

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East...it was less of a slam, and more of a forceful putback, either way, GOLD!

Those damn Hoosiers had me worried for a bit, thank god we were able to pull it off!

GO GREEN!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Crean can keep his guys playing with as much heart and guts as his kids are showing this year when he starts bringing in more talent, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the Big Ten.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the number 8 recruiting class nationally certainly won't hurt his chances of brining back the program.

Eastburn

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the Big 10 getting a lot tougher than it already is. Some outstanding coaches.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN!

Spartans men basketball is NUMBER ONE! in the NCAA conference!

S GO STATE!

WOLVERINES SUCK!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a sad statement about just how unwelcome MSU is in the Detroit area that I had to go to Chicago to find a big city bar that would fly a MSU flag outside. I was there over the weekend visiting friends and we happened to stop into O'Malley's West to catch the game on Sunday.

Kissing the S has to be one of my favorite traditions.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kissing the S has to be one of my favorite traditions."

Is there an "AS" in front of it?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. We leave that tradition for wolverines and other members of the weasel family.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couldnt resist

El_jimbo

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...and there's really no way for me to say it that wouldn't make it an easy target either. Oh well. It was a good laugh.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have wondered why we don't have bars that cater to one side or the other like Chicago (Gin Mill, O'Malley's), New York (Blondie's) and other cities have.

What bar in the area would you say is the most "Spartan Friendly"?

Mr. B's on Van Dyke in Shelby Township is a very Spartan Central location.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the problem is that you don't have areas that have dense concentrations of college graduates like you do in the Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville areas of Chicago. When you get that combination of density and university affiliation you can have bars like that. In Metro Detroit, we don't have that combination of college graduation rates, affluence, and density in any one neighborhood that would support bars that cater to one school or another like that.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree El_jimbo, the Royal Oak area (Berkley, Ferndale inc.) has a pretty high concentration of State grads and I think it would be ripe for a State central bar. I, for one, would travel the half hour it would take me to get there as well just to be surrounded by fellow Spartans.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.