Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through January 01, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless You, Cub....there will be a special place in heaven for you. One large box of groceries will be delivered to you in the morning. Please give the lady and her children our best wishes.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you are an angel.

What else do they need besides food and gifts? I can bring some food tomorrow, too. Does she need anything like blankets or warm clothes?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

We will be coming down tomorrow with some food, clothing(as wediscussed on Saturday!) and perhaps even a check.

I'll call inthe morning.

Res

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they could use it. I took them over some candles.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you are a courageous, inspirational man. Maybe one day such behaviour will be normal in society, and not exceptional.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on December 28, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring by some clothing. Mrs. Gnome was going to donate some clothing,...

(Message edited by gnome on December 28, 2008)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

I have to work at noon tomorrow. I will call sometime around 6:00pm after work.

I have made a couple gallons of turkey soup that should help out a bit. We will be picking up some other groceries as well. I'm publishing this so that we can perhaps avoid duplicating donations. My short list includes:

1.) American cheese (large block).
2.) Bread (3 loaves).
3.) Milk (3 gallons).
4.) Potatoes (5 lbs).
5.) Peanut butter (2 jars).
6.) Jelly (2 jars).
7.) Cereal (2 large bulk bags).

I have a couple of questions that I just thought of:

1.) Since these folks have no power, do they have the means to preserve food that is purchased for them?

2.) Do they have the means to cook food, or should people wishing to donate prepare the food they are going to donate before bringing it?

3.) Sizes for the kids clothing would help. Can you get us some approximate sizes for the kids?

If they don't have the means to preserve the food, perhaps we can request staggered donation days so that the food they receive remains fresh.

Also, this may be a good time to start a separate account at a local bank so that we can establish an address and common donation site for those who wish to donate monetary support. We will be able to monitor and account for future donations more readily if we set this up now.

Let me know what you think. I'll call during the day sometime tomorrow.

Res

Blueidone

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea, Res. Cub can open the account anytime with the tax id #. My list of groceries to be delivered tomorrow includes:

2 can tuna
1 large bag egg noodles
1 can mushroom soup (to make tuna casserole)
2 individual servings instant cocoa and a bag of marshmallows
1 box Minute Rice
8 envelopes instant oatmeal
1 large container instant mashed potatoes
2 cans Beefaroni
1 large can sweet potatoes
1 box PastaRoni noodles
1 bag potato chips
1 bag taco chips
1 container sugar
10 packets instant iced tea mix with sweetner & lemon
1 large packet of potato soup mix

By the end of this week, I will have some money to donate toward the gifts for the kids.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res, asked some good questions. Do they have any way of cooking or refrigeration? Do they need blankets, furniture, sundries? How long till they have utilities?

I wish I could contribute cash, but our car broke down and it pretty much will take all our winter savings to put it back on the road. I don't work in the winter.

What do they need in the short term? A little more detail and I will see what I can russel up.
I can most likely bring food if needed next week, Wednesday.

I hate the idea of kids with no Christmas.

Cub

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have heat from the stove. They have a power outage on that side of the neighborhood from the winds. Dte says it could be the end of the week but hopefully they wont be there that long. They can't use the furnace cause of some sort of leak and the slumlord wont fix it. Short term they need socks and underwear. Clothes and blankets.
I am going to try to have a New Years Eve or New Years day dinner for them.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have to see what I got lying around, can,t promise anything to deliver since the truck is down.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring a cooler. I'd toss in an old camp stove, but it is a little tricky to use without experience. I'd hate to have the lady blow up the house.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have clothing to donate to mother & possibly daughter, if they need it, Cub. Only problem is, I am leaving right now to head up north and won't be back until the weekend. I can give the stuff to you then, if that's still good.

Bless your heart! :-)

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

I'm in a coffee shop without power at my home. Hubby and I slept in the cold and sent the kids to grandma's. I have a son and was just sorting through stuff. If the lady's daughter is slight, I may have a few girl items. Grocery shopping this weekend. Can you give me a "must have" food list that I can p/u for your friend? Will be able to drop off on the weekend or some time Friday night. Can you send info to Myspace?

Love ya!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, please contact me via email. kathescha@gmail.com

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sizes would be very helpful.

This dilemma, got me thinking about landlords. We owned a house for 10 years, moved and have rented since then, for many, many years.

Best landlord we had, was so upset when our furnace died during a long term power outage, she wanted us to come stay with her until she replaced it. We sent the kids to Grandma and toughed it out. In a way, it was kind of charming. We had heat in the kitchen via the stove and a working fireplace. We sat in front of the fire in the evenings and read by candlelight.

Worst landlord was our rather large flat, had no electrical power in 2/3rds of the place for about 6 weeks. We had power cords running everywhere including downstairs to our neighbor. When the idiot landlord finally sent an electrical engineer, he told me we were lucky there had been no electrical fire. We moved.

Strangest rental experience. Lived one place for four years on excellent terms with our landlord. We were good tenants and he was good for all maintenance. He liquidated his assets to move to Florida. The new landlord moved downstairs, she was mid thirties, never married, no kids. Two weeks after she moved in, she blew her head off in the bedroom below ours after a lovers quarrel on the phone. My husband heard the shot, I did not. Needless to say it was too creepy. We moved.

Rambling stories, I know, however it is so true how landlords can victimize tennants. And visa versa.

Rant portion, of my commentary is how DARE this slumlord expect rent for subquality housing. I understand the problem is complex and pervasive.

So how do we get the city to enforce building code violations?

It appears she is not yet in her new home. I can probably help the mom with her needs better than the kids. We have an entire household in storage since moving in with my mom, a mutually beneficial relationship.

Cub, if you need a ham for this dinner, that we can do, if you want home cooked mac and cheese that we can do also. I would hate to be known as a one-dish wonder, Ron and I are both excellent cooks. But these, work well for simple carry in dishes. Let us know the date, I guarantee we will deliver.

Our car's not working but my mother's does.

Let us know if we can help. Sue

Cub

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sumas, I will let you know. The deacon who said he was going to help with housing issue, didn't, but we still have some resources for her.
I was able to talk individually to the kids and got their sizes. I also asked them if they could pick something they wanted for christmas and this is what I got:
Nathaniel 14 years old wants a pair of shoes. I expected him to be like my 16 year old but nope, all I got out of him was he wants a descent pair of shoes. I wish my kids were that easy.
His pants size is 30wx32L XL shirt 8-1/2 shoes.

Miss LaTisha is 13 wants an mp3 player wears a size 5 juniors in pants, m or 14/16 shirt 6-1/2 - 7 shoe
Robert is 11 wants a remote control car. size 12 pants, Large shirt, 5-1/2 shoe,.

Lamar is 10 likes wrestling men. 14 pants, m shirt and 6-1/2 shoe.

Joel is 8. likes remote controled cars. size 14 pants, large shirt, size 5 shoe. He wants to be a chef. Can cook some mean fried chicken with the supervision of his mom lol.

Kenya is their mom. she wants nothing for herself but the daughter was able to tell me she wears a 13 in pants and large shirts.

My plan is to have a small christmas event for them. I am thinking the weekend she maybe in a different house. She goes to see a house tonight at 8:00.

edit: Nathaniel is 14 not 16.

(Message edited by cub on December 30, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news!!! Kenya has found a nice house!!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, the love that our DYes community has for others is amazing. It's nice to see everyone jump to help.

Just so that we don't duplicate efforts, the Vivafamily is donating warm coats and winter gear for all of the kids and Kenya. Also rounding up clothes for LaTisha and Kenya. We can also donate food & time for the dinner, whenever it may be.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I think I can help with the remote control cars. I will e-mail you.

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I can help with the mp3 player.

Cub

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Cook.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If its still needed, I can help with the wrestling men or some new clothing.

Blueidone

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Masterblaster. As far as I know at this time, both are still needed. Let us know what you decide to do.

Cub

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year!

The dinner and gift giving will be Sunday at 6:00pm at Christ Word Outreach Ministries 8925 Holcomb. The same place as the holiday dinner.

As for the dinner we will keep it simple. Chicken, Mac and cheese, Green beans, Corn, a salad and some desserts.

We have the chicken, green beans and corn covered. If you want to add to it that will be great.

I am also inviting our donors to come meet the family at this time.

Thanks Again Everyone For All Of Your Help!!1

Cub
GSCC
313-452-0684

Blueidone

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will bring a dessert, Cub. Do we have something to drink? I have some Pepsi and Mountain Dew (Diet and Regular) I can donate. How many are we planning on feeding?

Cub

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Blue. If Everyone (who is local) that has contributed comes out, It will be around twenty people. I forgot drinks lol.

Blueidone

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will also bring some coffee already made, and cups for hot and cold drinks. Do we have plates and silverware left from the other dinner?

Cub

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we have plates and silverware.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I will not be able to come to the dinner, but please give the family my regards. And let me know when you've gotten the order.