Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » US Marine Hospital in Detroit » Archive through October 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sue Adams (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.47.121.89
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking to my 81 year old father about Fox Creek. He said he can remember when Fox Creek ran all the way to Gratiot up to Gethsemanie Cemetery. He also remembers that it was dried up at some point and they would take cardboard or corrugated metal and sled down the banks into the creek bed. He also remembers living on Manistique and a friend of his drowned in the creek.

(Message approved by admin)

R.Scott DeBruin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 165.121.148.226
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hospital was still there in 1984,1985. While I was in my first two years of Dental School at UofD(On Jefferson) I lived on Chatsworth just of Mack I would go for runs down to the river on both the Detroit and Grosse Point sides of the Fox Creek. I've been curious about it for years! My family was from downriver so didn't know that much about the eastside. On a Boblo Boat cruise upriver once I ask a number of people if they knew anything about the area,no luck so thank you. R.Scott DeBruin,D.D.S. Montgomery Vermont

Rudy Muller (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.215.11.164
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking for some information on a postcard in my lighthouse collection, and when surfing the web with (Klenk, Detroit and Lighthouse) I came across this forum.
Thanks to all the information within it I could positively identify the lighthouse as the Windmill Pointe Lighthouse.
I guess the postcard (a real photocard canceled in june 1910) is of interrest for the readers of this forum, so i've attached a scan (maximum allowed post-size). If wanted I can also provide a 600 dpi scan.

Rudy
Postcard ca 1910 - Windmill Pointe Lighthouse

Ginny_keusch
Username: Ginny_keusch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go back up to the top of this thread, and then backup to the "Paradise Lost..." link you can learn alot about the neighborhood from there. These links are a bit intertwined. The other link will give you some insight to the are in the 50's and 60's.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rudy! I've seen similar linen postcards with this shot, but not the real photo type.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a postcard I recently acquired that is a colorized version of the black & white Detroit News aerial photo up in the middle of this thread. It was postmarked July 24, 1914, and the caption reads: "Aeroplane View of Country Club, Boat Landing and Light House, Detroit, Mich."

WindmillPoint

Mike_mooney
Username: Mike_mooney

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.136.133.74
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, what a difference a hundred years made!

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 69.244.187.44
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Vito Gimbunko. Short Guy?
How bout Mike O'neill and Dave Mcdowell.
Remember the Voinhoff"s.
Ron

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 419 Eastlawn--two street from St. Martin. I went to Guyton school and had friends from both schools. Someone mentioned the famous Venoffs(sp). One of them was at a Guyton reunion in 94 that I attended. I loved the beautiful trees that touched each other on the streets and the smell of burning leaves in the fall. I remember taking long walks to Lakewood Park and Angel Park. I later cruised with my 10speed along Windmill Point and onto Lakeshore Drive up to 8 mile before returning home. I had my little transistor attached to my bike so I could have tunes (before walkman or Ipods, lol). My radio was made by the Zenith company that my father worked for and made in America too! I loved going to Kresge and Saunders. My mother used to shop at Alberts and my friends were regulars at the Cinderella theater. I loved the book-mobile...still an avid reader.
Names that come to mind: Bycrafts, Hutchcrafts, Parkers, Worthman, Hofleys, Chenewith, Hanna and Zuellig.....I posted this before, but it didn't print on this site.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it the Voinhoffs?

Molly
Username: Molly

Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been such an interesting journey, reading these posts.... I'm attaching a picture of my Dad outside "The Bun" which is the "Sweet Shop" I believe, near St. Martins. I remember my brother and I use to cut out of church early when possible and head over there! Molly

Molly

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just stumbled upon this site, as I was looking for anything about Detroit, to include in a video I'm creating for my brother's 50th birthday. I recognize many of the names, and streets and places you all reference. I lived at 501 Chalmers, down the street from the Essians, and across from the Pellaritos (sp?) 400 Eastlawn,( across from the Whites- I remember those handsome boys who were closer to my sister’s age- John and Dick) and Coplin before Chalmers. My Grandparents James C. Moran and Harriett lived at 501 Chalmers and when my parents (Ann Moran and Joseph Campbell) got divorced in 1961 (?) we moved to that amazing house. I dream of that house ALL the time. We stayed at Mr. Weitchat's summer get-away campground during the riots. He was friends with my Aunt Patirica (Moran) Cook (married name) and her then husband. My other aunts and uncles: Kathy and Bob Moran. My sister Vanessa b.1953) and Brother Joey Campbell (b, 1957). Joey, played baseball on 3 teams, and got his little ten year butt there by biking all OVER Detroit. Alone! Can you imagine? We played at the St. Martins playground all day long, and just had to be sure to be home by the streetlights.

We left Detroit around 1969- moved to Boston with my mother Ann, and her second husband. I moved to California in 1976 and have been here ever since.

I went to St. Martins for first grade, and then Guyton, and then JAckson (and Ives, to learn how to sew and cook...ha!) My very best friend was Alexis Pervanis , who lived on Piper. we're still in touch. Terri Richards lived on Ashland, also a wonderful friend and artist. We use to skate behind her house, on the canal. I remember all those names of those huge families on Chalmers, (The McClouds, The Kawalskis, Keanons)and Lakewood ( the Williams family) and Eastlawn (the Maskills?) etc. I went to high school outside of Boston and graduated in 1974. Went to college in Boston and San Francisco. I dream of the old neighborhood at least 2 nights a week. No kidding. My father Joe Campbell still lives in the area- St. Claire shores. Both my parents, and aunts and uncles have been to the St. Martins reunions.

I just contacted my Aunt Pat (Moran) and told her about this site. She remembers many things about Angel park, the trailor park, the hospital, which she will share I’m sure. She remembers like it was yesterday.

My business is producing videos. I'm currently interested in these kinds of stories- documentaries about neighbors and neighborhoods such as this. Very cool! Best, Molly Campbell ( I will try and attach a pic of Guyton. I have some film and video footage taken in the mid-seventies, returning “home”. Mostly the homes I lived in as well as St. Martins and Guyton. I’m in the mood for a cream puff at Sanders, with hot fudge! BTW- very hard to sign up for this- there is no “join” button. I just figured it out. Thanks!!
Molly Campbell

Brenda

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly: What a beautiful memory and detail on the area we grew up in. You mentioned Mr. Weitschat. I still keep in touch with him and have his present address. I know he would love to hear from the "kids" again. At the end of this message is his address. You mentioned Charlmers. My best friend, Susan Parker had a grand house on that street which was shared with the Hofleys. I lived at 419 Eastlawn near Tom Clay, Steven Bell (Thompson after his mom remarried). Do you remember Larry Zuellig? I got in touch with him a couple of years ago and he was a professor living in Izmir, Turkey. Soon after we started writing, I learned he had a tumor and died on January 1, 2006. Mr. Weitschat was most gracious and called his mother. There is another web site that has some pictures of
Mr. Weitschat from the Guyton days. You might want to look at what was said and the pictures as well.

Anyway, here is Mr. Weitschat's address now:

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

One more thing, there is someone else on the other string that is trying to take the Guyton Story and put it on cd.

Thank you for sharing your very detailed memories of that wonderful place in time we grew up in...I feel so sad what has happen to Detroit. I moved to Fort Wayne, IN to be near a wonderful fellow vet I fell in love with. I am also a US Navy veteran and work for the va too.

Cream puffs were the best at Sanders as well as a real cherry coke from Kresges (before K-Mart, lol).

Ron_saad

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like old times Molly

Molly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not done one of these forums before. It looks like my photos didn't upload. Maybe I should try again.... Brenda, we were neighbors, but I don't think I know you. What is your last name? I will send a note to Mr. Weitschat, and would love to find out who is interested in preserving the stories about Guyton. What years were you on EAstlawn I think we were only there from approx 1965-1969. I'm 51 now.
Those names do not sound familiar. We lived next door to the DeVeras. A wonderful family of 3 girls, Mary Lou, Mary Ann and Rosemary- and Meding the mom. We were very close (in fact Meding and my grandpa were kind of sweet on each other).
I remember the Shroders (sp??) w ho lived across the street and down a little. they had a little girl with some disabilities, and I was hired to walk her to Guyton. Patty was her name I think. There was a boy from my class James Brooks who lived down the street asa well. I think it was just he and his Dad. His Mom passed away. I remember a big family in the middle of the block, on our side of the street. Gina was the girl around my age. We played "truth dare, double dare, consequences, private or repeat". I saw someone mentioned the Licavoli family. I remember Vincent Licavoli the first boy to ever call me on the phone. He was a nice kid I recall. Getting a call by a boy, in 5th grade did not go over to well at home.
I woke up this morning thinking about how all the kids today will know these big box stores (Target, Costco, Walmart...) and not have those regional flavors of their neighborhood culture. I remember Mushroe's (wrong spelling again!) on Lakewood and
Jefferson, across from Kresgees. It was a children's clothing store. There was a jewelry store next to or close to it. I remember I saw a star of david in the window and had to have it! I don 't think there were too many Jewish people in our neighborhood, and I didn't know it was a religious symbol at the time. I always crack myself up thinking about it and sharing the story with all my Jewish friends. I also remember Subway, and of course Buyerly's. "Zekes" became the name of one of the stores on Essex (green leaf?) and Newport was it? And Lassiders was the drug store, where they use to have a fountain, and comic books, and probably some adult items as well, like medicine! I also remember the fabric store on Jefferson. I use to go there with my grandmother, or mother and pick out material. They were all great at sewing- I never quite had the patience.
Do you remember the Whites- they lived kitty corner to us on Eastawn and Avondale. I use to keep a journal of all the comings and goings of the two handsome boys, to win points with my sister, who had crushes on both of them! John drove a 1963 Corvett. He looked like a model! My sister use to sit on the front porch, wearing her hair fall (she was 16 at the time and plenty of her own hair, but that was the fashion) and her acoustic guitar, singing Peter Paul and Mary songs. She eventually caught the eye of the White brothers...she was very pretty and talented and became a singer in New York. Thanks for indulging me. This is a real treat.
It is a shame that it all ended...I know everyone who lived in the neighborhood probably has fond memories of the special and unique quality of the area and time.
When was the last time you visited the area?
BTW, my Uncle Bob (Moran) also joined the Navy. He was born around 1949 (he was more like the age of a brother, not an uncle). He had lived at 501 Chalmers, and attended St. Martins. When his parents split up, they moved to Flint, and then after HS joined the Navy. So nice chatting with you!

I hope you have a wonderful Day! Molly

Molly

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for this site everyone. Ron, I bet you know some of my relatives...Patricia Moran (Maiden name) perhaps? I can't seem to get back to work, I just want to keep reading and remembering. Brenda, I read Kitty Fisk's Dad, Bob (whom I remember very well) produced "The Guyton Story". Our families were/are very close. I asked Kitty via another link (?) if the film had been transferred. So we'll see! Also, I remember the Hutchcrafts too. Were they on Lakewood, near Essex? All these Names. Someone mentioned Lanzi (Tommy Lanzi with a baby blue volkswagon??) I think they lived on Manistique. There was one younger,who was my age, but I'm not recalling his name. Debbie Maskill... I think she was my sister's age. Her name keeps popping up here. Someone mentioned the Garvins... they babysat for me, forgot which kid. Cathy? Not sure. It all gets confused. My aunts and uncles were NOT that much older than me, so I would hear names from them, as well as my own memories...which are becoming more clear as I continue. Thanks. What a great group you all are.
Molly

Ron_saad

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated with Ray Lanzi and Debbie and Dennis Maskill and Kathy Garvin. Can't recall Patricia I lived on Easlawn and Manistique and Chalmers and lived next to Tommy's Marina(and worked there too)

Molly

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Kathy Garvin was my Aunt Kathy's friend, and shes babysat for me. Kathy Moran lived on the corner of essex and Chalmers- a big stone house. She's around 61 or so. Tommy's Marina, was that right by Byrely's (sp?) or (Flo's) I don't remember Tommy's. My sister Vanessa (she has passed away) would be 54- I think she was friends with one of the Maskills. Vanessa went to Cass for a portion of high school. What was your Eastlawn address?
Do you still live in Detroit? You may have mentioned that, but there is so much here to take in. It looks like there was a lot of activity on this site in 2005-2006 and then it slowed down.
Thanks Ron. Have a wonderful weekend! Molly

Ron_saad

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived near Flint.
Tommy's was across the street from the trailer park at the foot of Alter Road.

Jeff_scott
Username: Jeff_scott

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for ron saad. I happened on this site & saw your name from our old neighborhood

Ron_saad

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here I am
How are You.
Didn't you live on Ashland?

Brenda

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron: You have been a jewell in keeping this thread going! Thank you. Has anyone heard what is going on with the "Guyton Story" been transferred to a cd so we can see it? This thread is a breath of fresh air compared to the news coming from Detroit....nothing more needs to be said about that, but to be hopeful that Michigan and Detroit will get better. At least we have the wonderful memories of the lower east side!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the other trailer park sites. I think someone did say something about it.

Take Care

Ron_saad

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you Jeff

Ron_saad

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JEFF SCOTT? Did you get lost.

Ron

Gary47
Username: Gary47

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Ron Saad-Bill Lanzi etc. I used to do a lot of fishing at the foot of Alter Road.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's your last name Gary?

Molly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Folks
I have a website for my new business called A Moving Portrait,at www.amovingportrait.com If you look at the sample page, I have a short version of a DVD I did for my brother Joey's 50 birthday. It includes a little footage of the old neighborhood, Guyton etc. I wish I had footage or snap shots of him at St. Martins playground. We lived there during the summertime. He was on 4 baseball teams or something crazy like that, every summer.
Check it out if you have a moment! Cheers, Molly

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly: Amazing and I have added your e mail to my address book ... Thanks

Brenda

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well gang, I am back from Fort Wayne....long drama story, but I do appreciate the city much more and being with all my friends and work mates! Spoke with Mr. Weitschat up in Traverse City where he lives in assisted living and is doing well and in good spirits. His address is posted above on earlier comments.