Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through December 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Met with accountant yesterday...application for tax-exempt status is being prepared...it's 23 pages long! Hope to have it completed before the end of the year.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are AWESOME!!! Thank You!

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this thread come up to the top,I thought you had another event.Got my hopes up! I hope everyone is well.Dave

Cub

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dave Lol. We are on hold cause of the holidays but we should have some things scheduled after the first of the year.

Davemarc

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought of you today,I'm making a trifle later!Dave

Cub

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang! Dave! I was trying to forget that sugar high lol.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, can we have a party at your house to eat the trifle? I didn't get any of the other one. LOL

Blue, that is GREAT news! Thanks so much for all of your hard work!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9044
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the Web site coming along?

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just heading out to pick up the ingredients to make a couple of trifles for a Christmas potluck dinner tomorrow, Dave. What kind are you making? This time, I'm making a Pumpkin Gingerbread and a Sweet Potato trifle. It's the closest I can get to traditional pumpkin and sweet potato pie. :-) I'm just no good at pie crusts!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're working on the web site as we speak. and should have an update on it & our next event after the holidays.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed you mentioned on a different thread that the city didn't lease vacant lots anymore. The program was called Farm A Lot. I checked with the local mini city hall and they think that program was discontinued. What a shame if that's true, they used to distribute free vegetable plants, seeds and some flowers. There is a lot more community gardens on the eastside than people know. Ron and I were judges one year for a city wide farm a lot competition. Many of these large gardens were maintained by little old ladies, much of the produce went to the Mack Alive church allience. The churches would also have programs on canning, nutrition etc.

We attended the first ever Christmas pot luck banquet at the Butzel Center on Kercheval, Monday. It was a very nice event. We sat at a great table and also met the new director.

Cub

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Sumas they did discontinue the Farm a Lot program but they have Adopt A Lot now. They just don't give plants.

Davemarc

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,I'm doing a choclate and panattone,its my first attempt.(pannattone is an italian citirus bread,you can only get at christmas)I really don't do desserts,but it seemed interesting...Viva,any time....just let me know so I can move all the kids toys into one pile!lol...Dave

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7306
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub,
Thanks to Townonenorth on another thread, I found this.

quote:

Build an Easy 5 x 5 Home Greenhouse for under $25

http://www.instructables.com/i d/Build_an_Easy_5_x_5_Home_Gre enhouse_for_under_25/

A fun project for late winter?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- raised beds,good dirt, and that special ingredient,that we went and got,should be a good 2009 !

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds good, Dave! I'm familiar with Panettone. My ex husband was Italian and his grandmother used to make a few loaves every Christmas. Yum. :-)

Cub

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Pgn, I will be going back as soon as the weather breaks. You should see the stuff in the hoop house.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try making French toast with the panettone. Yum!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate looking in my backyard. Wanna start growing food.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On behalf of the Georgia Street Community Collective:

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Holidays...whatever your faith or belief, may this season bring you peace and joy!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub!

Mildred Gaddis is quoting you and talking about the garden right now! :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did she say?

Cub

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwww Mannnn!!!! i missed it.

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub!
I was looking in the paper sat and i seen that u had a interview with the newspaper! Good article.
I wonder why they did'nt come over to the neighborhood and get pics? They would have gotten the real deal about this forgotten hood!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,
Just wanted to let you know that your interview is making it's way across the land!

Almost a full page on the back of section A.
This paper is in Clarksville, Tn

Not that Detroit isn't in the news already, just cool to see fellow DYes'ers in the local paper!

Merry Christmas to you, and everyone that has joined your effort at the Garden!

Cub

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ragtop. Cook they took pictures of the second workday at the center/store, they just didn't use any of them.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy holiday and merry new year to Cub and all affiliated with the GSCC. Great work. I'll be out for a visit in 2009.

Cub

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Holidays everyone.
I have asked you guys for so much this year that I was reluctant to bring this to you but I need some more help.
Today a woman my age came to my church. After coming the past few weeks it must have been her last resort. She came with her 5 kids and her testimony was about what she has been going through with her landlord. He wants her to get out of his rental property only because he doesn't want to fix the 26 violations that he has with the house. She has till tomorrow. She has been saving up money for the deposit on a new place and has fallen short. Her kids sacrificed thier christmas for this and they are short food. They had no lights or gas but she has a way to keep warm now. Since 1:30pm we have come up with the difference of the deposit and the other landlord is letting them move in.
I guess you are wondering what I want. As I said the kids sacrificed thier christmas and they have little food to get them by until she can get some assistance next week. I want to give them a small christmas nothing major as these kids are the most respectful kids I have ever seen. Talking to them today and seeing them walk with their mother or watching them go to school you would never guess that they are struggling. There are 4 boys 14,11,10 and 8 and one girl 13. Any help would be appreciated even ideas of some resources beyond govt. ass. she is going thru that process now. Thank you again.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, send me your name and address to steamaker@yahoo.com

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, sent you a Facebook e-mail...