Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Marinelli Out « Previous Next »
Rod Marrinelli FiredDanny18 12-29-08  8:46 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They announced about 1/2hr ago on Mike & Mike that Coach Rod has been fired. I haven't seen anything on the local rags yet. Let the healing begin.

(Message edited by zitro on December 29, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is true - and if the Ford Family really cares - the time is NOW for wooing either Lewis (Cincinnati) or Singletary (San Francisco) for the position of Lions Head Coach.

Likely too late for one/both of these gents.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just posted a short blurb on detnews.com

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081229/SPORT S0101/812290392

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what? Mayhew is still there and so is Ford.

Now there is talk of Parcells again because of his contract with Miami. His contract states that if the team is sold he can be released at his request.

I don't see it happening especially since Ford, the senile (or drunk) has state he wants 3 people to manage this team. Three fricking people!! This guy is clueless and no coach or GM without heavy influence is going to come here. Anyone with any talent anyway.

I guess I will have to make my sign for next year. "Hoping for 1-15, please!"

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Ford family cared, they would sell the team. Even Tom Monahan knew when it was time to leave and he sold the Tigers.

Get ready for Russ Thomas Jr and Marty Marinelli 3rd to become the latest stooges for the NFL's worst owner...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6567
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mjb3, Monaghan sold the Tigers, Domino's Pizza and other aspects of his fortune not because he cared about them, it's because of a religious awakening on his part. As much as we want old man Ford to sell the team- quite honestly why would he? He's still making a decent chunk of change off of the team despite gate sales.

Now what's really disappointing is that Mayhew has been promoted to the GM title. Yes, he should've been given a fair shake at interviewing for the position but where was that huge sweeping exhaustive search for a new GM? Mayhew had to have the interim title when Millen was canned, did relatively well during the time but why was he appointed/ anointed so quickly? Why so early? Let's see who get shook off of their other NFL teams or see who's looking to make more money (Lord knows we're going to have to over pay in order to get someone here) by jumping here. Another two to three weeks wouldn't have made a bit of difference to see who is available; this seems like such a knee jerk reaction.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this season begs the question which owner is the most senile/clueless: William Clay Ford of the Lions or Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders?

Remember Davis' firing of coach Lane Kiffin and subsequent press conference tirade earlier in the season.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6569
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Jones might have to be given a little space on that idiot podium as well, Raptor56. For as many Pro Bowlers and hype that his Dallas team had, he stunk it up pretty well for his fans too.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking about Martin Mayhew a bit lately. We must give him some credit for the Roy Williams trade. Thanks to that Dallas loss yesterday, we're sitting about as good as an 0-16 team could for draft day. We get the 1st, 20th, 33rd, and 52nd pick. Millen wouldn't have made that trade. It is also my understanding that Mayhew wanted to can Kitna and bring in Culpepper before the season even started. I have to give Mayhew credit for that also, because he knew that Kitna had become a cancer the day Martz was canned. He also correctly analyzed that Kevin Smith would be much more effective with a blocking fullback leading the way.
I'm not kissing Lion ass here, but I think Mayhew deserves a chance. I don't have a problem with his promotion if he is given full football authority for what shows up on the field. There isn't anybody that wants to deal with a 3 team committee, because that means someone is playing stooge to Mr. Ford, and history has shown that setup is crap.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will "Fire Mayhew" signs and t-shirts be in the Lions' fans' near future?

The team should have replaced their Honolulu blue Lions silhouette on their helmets with Snagglepuss long ago...just so we fans could yell "Heavens To Murgatroyd" every time the team yanked defeat from the jaws of victory.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mjb3, Monaghan sold the Tigers, Domino's Pizza and other aspects of his fortune not because he cared about them, it's because of a religious awakening on his part.

And the fact that he couldn't really afford them in the first place.

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayhew is poison by association with Millen. Same old, same old. Clean out all previous Millen puppets and offer Parcels a partial ownership to oversee the entire francise.

Raptor56

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the Lions paralleling the Tigers. Become one of the losingest teams ever, then play in the championship game 2 years later, and become a league power?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6572
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, how could Monaghan really not afford Domino's? He started that from the ground up and built that empire. He started the shop on a $500 loan and sold Domino's for nearly a billion dollars.

So even if the Tigers were bleeding money dry, I'm sure the Domino's income would've been more than enough to cover the losses. Monaghan more than made enough money to float the Tigers from his pizza chain. Remember the purchase of Drummond Island, the Bugattis, and his Frank Lloyd Wright fascination?

Mjb3

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan sold the Tigers in 1988 after the sports media had hounded him for various(Harwell, Schembechler, ) messups and his general aloofness(helicopter flying over stadium in 6th inning of tied game back to AA). His whole empire(DOmino's, Drummond Isl., cars, etc) started unraveling in early 90's - 92, 93. This was around the same time he started sending bibles to el salvador.

I hope Tuesday Ford faces the camera's. I'd love to see the media ask him if he'll sell the team.

Nothing will happen with the Lions until they have new owner. I'm convinced of that.

However, assuming his mgt team(Mayhew and Lewand) are set for next yr, I hope there are only about 10-20,000 season tickets sold. If all 8 games are blacked out, maybe that will send a message to the NFL's worst owner( Al Davis' Raiders have played in 6 Super Bowls, winning 3).

Also, if all 8 games are blacked out and Thanksgiving game is <50% with empty whole sections of the upper deck on national TV, the NFl may take away game. Hate to say it, but if loosing the T-giving game will force ownership change, so be it. I'd rather have a real NFL team than a joke with tradition going back to 1930s .

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now that they have named the gm and president who are they looking at. I saw on espn that they asked to talk to the secondary coach of the Washington Redskins.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6574
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mjb3, where are you getting this information about Monaghan? He sold the Tigers to Mike Ilitch in 1992, the same year he gave Bo the axe on the night of his 24th wedding anniversary. And if anyone considers selling off a pizza biz for nearly a billion, I'd like that sort of "unravelling" myself.

And realize there's really no way the NFL can force an owner to sell a team. Taking the exclusivity of the Thanksgiving Day game might be a possibility but that's been talked about for years already- and not just because the Lions have stunk it up so poorly either. Other team owners were raising this beef back when we all had Barry Sanders to cheer for with our Thanksgiving turkey. To a certain degree the league's already addressed it somewhat by adding a THIRD game on that day already- it's not just Detroit & Dallas' game anymore.

And dating back to the 1930's, Mjb3? What about the three league championships the Lions won in the 1950's?? Pin as much as you want to old man Ford because he deserves the harsh criticism, but let's not lump some of the good in along with his smelly baggage now.

Mjb3

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the NFL can't force ownership change. But taking away T-giving game, avg attendance 10-20K per game, these dramatic messages may combine to create such an issue that Ford will have to sell or relinquish control. Also, Ford is 84 so worst case we probably only have 5-10 yrs max left of this nonsense.

And the championships in the 50s were under the previous regime. Ford became partial owner in 1957 and 100% owner in 1964. The championships in the 50s speak to what Ford inherited with this franchise and what 43 yrs of incompetence can do to it.

The Thanksgiving game is the tradition that dates to 30s, Ford's abysmall ownership only covers the time since 1964. I agree let's not lump some of the good with his baggage. About the only good thing Ford has done is bring (2) Super Bowls and new stadium downtown.

He's done nothing to put a quality product on the field. What's really sad is. I think Ford thinks he's really a good owner and that the public, media, etc. are all naieve.

Maybe he'll come down from his ivory tower at press conference tomorrow. Oh wait, he's already in Palm Beach for the winter...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the drunk fool will make sure another head coach is hired with little to no experience in that position.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

_sj_, how could Monaghan really not afford Domino's? He started that from the ground up and built that empire. He started the shop on a $500 loan and sold Domino's for nearly a billion dollars.

So even if the Tigers were bleeding money dry, I'm sure the Domino's income would've been more than enough to cover the losses. Monaghan more than made enough money to float the Tigers from his pizza chain. Remember the purchase of Drummond Island, the Bugattis, and his Frank Lloyd Wright fascination?

He purchased the Tigers by using the gate receipts from 1984 as a down payment. MLB at one point almost had to take control of his franchise because he couldn't pay the bills. It was a transaction to a friend instead of to the people who could afford the team.

He sold everything he could and cut costs everywhere until he was forced to sell in 92 to Ilitch who should have gotten the team in 83 originally.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread sure got jacked this time.

Back to the original point. The Broncos just fired Mike Shanahan. Damn good coach. Think the lyons would have the moxie to pick him up? He'd be a good start on the rebuilding.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I don't know. because now there going all be involved in selections, like a committee. You know that a camel is horse, designed by a committee.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, Stotter, and after watching the two whiz kids on their press conference today I suspect they will be acting like a committee. With Ford making the decisions, and he's a great camel builder.

Raptor56

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly doubt Shanahan will be making a stop in Detroit or anywhere else next season. The guy has something around $20 million due to him still, plus he's been coaching since half past forever, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sat back in his recliner for a couple seasons and enjoyed the "retirement" paycheck.

Raptor56

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I think you should be banned from coaching for at least a season when you go 0-16, however the bidding war has started for Rod's "skills."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=3813166

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.