Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through December 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's really wonderful that you were able to take the leftovers to that homeless shelter. :-)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tkierpiec. One of your chocolate trifles came with me lol. I also have your other items.

It was a magical day for me. The neighbors are grateful. I really believe this event is going to get them more involved with things going on in the neighborhood. Thanks to everyone who helped out and all the words of encouragement. I never imagined we could accomplish as much in just this first year. I will write the vision and pay it forward. That's a PROMISE I know I can keep. Thank you all again.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3138
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to all who worked to make this event happen!! We're glad that it was a big success. Dave and I are glad we could help out a bit, even though we couldn't be present.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 573
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job, everyone! I will be excited to see some pictures once they are posted!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4178
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, congratulations on the success of the first annual Georgia Street Dinner! I am glad that we were able to help out a little. We were there in spirit as we spoke of the event quite a few times yesterday evening.

Cub, I'll let you know when we will be coming across the border again so we can make arrangements with you to pick up the coffee urn. I hope it came in handy and got a good workout yesterday with it being so cold outside.

We are looking forward to seeing the pictures too.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that trifle tasted good, Cub. I'm vegan so I can only cook those things, can't eat them. :-)

I'll connect with you later about the dishes but to be honest, I'm not really concerned about them. If they can be of use to you for any of your future endeavors, feel free to keep them.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, that Triffle was anything but; it was the all the rage and by far, the finest dessert at the dinner.

It was beautiful and it tasted like a dream.

Cub

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Tkierpiec we can use them, thank you, The triffle....whew I am going to have to go on a serious diet...after the New Year lol. And by the way I hope you are a model Tkierpiec. When I saw her coming down the street I started looking for the cameras :-)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Triffle was great...but I would have to say that your bread pudding runs a very close second, Cub!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sampled, a'hem, all the desserts offered. To make a fair and nonpartisan comparison, of course.

Cub

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Crystal. I stayed at the dessert table. Thank you Blue!

Cub

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope I am not stepping on any toes, but I couldn't wait to tell everyone about this email:

I read the article on the Georgia Street dinner and wanted to invite you to attend a meeting on Monday December 8th 6PM at the Detroit City Airport main terminal (second floor). The Friends of Detroit City Airport will host our annual Community Christmas Celebration on Monday December 22nd 3-7PM. We give out toys to children who don't get Goodfellows or Toys for Tots. Last year we helped over 500 children. If you come to the meeting tomorrow I will give you some applications for the children that you know. Looking forward to meeting you. God bless your efforts to serve this community.

Beverly Kindle-Walker, Friends of Detroit City Airport

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great e-mail, Cub!

I almost missed dessert, but thanks to Viva I was able to sample Gnome's *excellent* sour apple pie (and crust--especially the crust!).

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,Its taken a few days for me to catch up after the weekend.It was great to meet so may of you,at such a great event.It was a terrific way to start off the holiday season.Dave

Cub

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am eating some of Gnome's apple pie right now. lol

Cman710

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great, Cub. You guys are really doing wonderful things. Whenever you start to plan your next event (after the holidays, I'd guess), make sure to let us all know.

Before you know it, it will be spring again!

Cub

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We also forgot to thank Cookin64! :-)

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew, thank god that the trifle was edible .... I was seriously a little worried. It's kind of like a teetotaler whipping up a big batch of beer or rum. LOL! (Thanks, Gnome!)

All this talk of sweets has me preparing to make a tofu "cheese"cake tonight. This is more my area of expertise. Don't knock it till you've tried one...I tried to fool my family with one at Thanksgiving. They weren't fooled, unfortunately, but they ate it.

(That counts for something, right??)

Hey Cub, instead of looking for the cameras, you should have been looking for your glasses. ;) But thanks for making me smile. Looking forward to contributing more in the future also!

Cub

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! And Modest. WOW! :-)

Cub

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK! Two things... I went over 1000 posts and didnt realize it. LOL.
And I was going thru some donation records I have for the garden. I got a donation from someone (lets just say from the west coast) anonymously. I dont remember if I told them Thank You! If you are still keeping up with things THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,

Tofu "cheese" cakes are delicious! I've made a few, and always to rave reviews-but now I can't eat tofu anymore. :-(

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first opportunity that I have had to add my observations of the Holiday Dinner to the many that have been offered here. This was an event of great importance and the precedent it has set continues to add to the relevant necessity of the Collective and the hope that one man's vision can make a huge difference in many other peoples lives.

I was impressed by a couple of things, the first of which would be the relative smoothness of the execution of coordinating and delivering on the product. Blueidone and Vivadetroit were instrumental and no organization should be without people as dedicated as them, and the dozen or so other volunteers (all mentioned above!)and countless others behind the scenes helped in every aspect to make this a first class offering to the neighborhood that the Garden serves.

It is rare that an event of this magnitude runs as flawlessly as this one did, particularly given the fact that this was the inaugural Dinner. It is a testament to the hard work, character, integrity and committment of all of the people involved, and I am humbled to be a part of the success it has become.

It is most amazing to witness the transformation that has grown from a few neighbors just visiting the corner garden lot into Reading in the Garden and Movie night, where dozens of neighbors and their children gather weekly throughout the summer to have a book read to them or to watch a movie together on the big screen. It is a neighborhood that is beginning to realize the value of its diversity.

Secondly, I was impressed by the politeness of the the children, many of whom I knew from the Garden. The generosity of the "Thank Yous" was apparent and I felt that there were many who were grateful for what we were able to do, both at the Dinner and in the Garden.

As I drove home, I was thankful for the many quality people that I have met through my association with the Garden and at the Collective, and their sincerity in wanting to do something positive and for others in this world. It gives me great joy to be a part of such an effective effort.

Thanks to all of those who helped in making this event the success that it was.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9770
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers to all that contributed.

cheers

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, thanks Cookin64! and thanks for making me laugh through the entire dinner. :-)

And here they are, the pictures! Sorry there aren't that many. I tried to snap away when I could.

http://photobucket.com/gscchol idaydinner

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4193
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Viva! Wow! That was a wonderful looking spread of some very tasty looking food! So many happy faces.

You guys got more snow there than we did! Uhhh - BTW - you can keep it over that side of the creek! LOL

Hey Cookin64!

:-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res , you hit it on the nail. Seeing the garden evolve into the center and the dinner is amazing. As with my late and iffy delivery, I hesitated in even thinking of promising anything for the dinner. hopefully next year I,ll be not as short on time and money.But I can,t wait to start my garden and see how everything plays out with mine and the one at Georgia and Vinton.

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone! Cub I am just so amazed at how you and your vision is taking off! I know that everyone around the neighborhood that i talk to is so tickled that you have the courage and the uumph to do what you are doing so i am on here thanking you for them!
I am so glad that i was there saturday meeting the people from the forum it was a pleasure! Hope to meet with you all on a regular basis.
Hello Eriedearie! How are you and the husband?
Viva,viva,viva you are funny! too funny.
I am glad that i could make you laugh..Ha..ha..ha
and you know why!!!!
Anyway! Everybody that was there hello and i am glad i met you all.

Cman710

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pictures look great! I hope to be able to attend the dinner in a future year!

Cub

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on the email we got from Friends of Detroit City Airport.
MamaCub, Percell(Vice-Chairman), and I went to the meeting and were able to get ( applications for some of the families in our neighborhood. I also was given the apps. for A.L.Holmes(15). Hopefully they will be able to attend and get a toy. We will have a presence at this event. Vivadetroit, MamaCub, Percell, and I will be volunteering.

Cub

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Cook!!