Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Lions 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, what changes MUST be made? What draft picks must be selected? What decisions must the Lions make starting now to prevent from being a losing team next year?

The Lions have not made the playoffs since '99. What changes do you see moving forward? Was firing Matt Millen the wise thing to do? How did his firing affect the Lions?

*drumroll*

And the most pertinent question of this thread: Will Lions fans continue to be loyal after a record-breaking 0 - 16?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DO NOT SPEND A DOLLAR UNTIL BILL SR. RELINQUISHES CONTROL.

Everything else is just good money after bad

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't it seem that the Lions are reflecting what is going on in the city itself? Seriously I wonder if there is some sort of connection/correlation.

Let me say this though, the Lions are the best 0-16 team in NFL history- they came close to winning a few times.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to pretend that Detroit doesn't have an NFL team. It's easier that way.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unrealistically I would make too many changes to list, from playing in an open air stadium to making new uniforms based on the throwbacks to taking on a new system of pride in the history of the lions where numbers are not retired and your locker has the names of every significant contributor to the team that wore your number.

Realistically, a new O-line coach that can get the guys playing as a cohesive unit, a coach that not only is someone you want in a foxhole with you, but who knows what a time out is used for, a DC who believes in attacking, intimidating and disrupting an offense, an offensive coordinator... wow... still too much to list.

Basically, I expect little change. I wouldn't even be surprised to see Marinelli on the sidelines next year, his brother in law coaching the defense & his d-line coach still driving around neked.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not many changes will be made. Ford announced last week. He's keeping the front office, even after 0-16, and your looking for changes? Get real.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I predict the Lions will win a game next year. You heard it here first. 1 - 15 ain't so bad.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could easily go 8 and 8 with a good draft and decent coaching. You know their schedule will be easier. If Miami can improve as much as they did, the Lions could to.
So much depends on who they get to make the decisions next year.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have followed the Lyin's from 1952. I have since then learned this. Do not say, "well, all we can do is get better". It can and will, probably get worse. Regardless of draft picks etc. No decent coach or players, will sign with the Lyin's and believe me, neither will the upcoming draft picks want to come here. C. Johnson and Kevin Smith will bolt as soon as they can. The Lyin's have gotten progressively worse over these years, save for a few blips on the screen. Save your season ticket money folks. I heard one guy say on 97.1 today that he pays $4000.00 a year for his season tickets and has had them for 10 years. Next year, he's taking his family on a winter getaway vacation and giving up his tickets until the Lyin's produce a good product. He was fed up with the Lyin's.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo, Are you willing to wager on that 8 and 8 season next year? Contact me.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Browns fired their GM after their game today, so they will be looking for a replacement:

"Owner Randy Lerner made the decision before the game. A source said the decision was based on problems with Savage's communication and leadership skills."

"Lerner is hoping to recruit former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher or New England vice president Scott Pioli to head his revamped football operation."

http://www.cleveland.com/brown s/

Lions will have some competition in their search for a GM, as well as a HC if Marinated gets the ziggy.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have my Lions winter coat hanging in the closet after all these years, yearning to see the light of day.

Now I'll just have to add something to it, so I can wear it again.

Any Ideas? (non-biological please !)

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 583
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lions need to get rid of #28 leigh bodden, and #27 daniel bullocks they consistantly get burnt and look lost in coverage on every play. Keep #92 cliff avril, a rookie that is only getting better. #77 is adjusting, not great but still has potential. Keep #50 ernie sims, #53 paris lenon is a beast at 31 years old, and #55 ryan nece. Out of all the secondary I would keep #21 travis fisher, everyone else is suspect with the exception of he and #24 kalvin pearson. Detroit has solid defense at key positions but get burnt deep because of #27, and #28 (see the first play of the season in Atlanta).

On the offense the QB must take the role as a leader, not someone who is just out there having fun. Must make quick reads that help the O-line gel. Detroit is best at the quick style of play, they have been too predictible and that hurts the worst at key moments of the game. By predictable I mean going to one reciever, or runnig back and leaving it up to the football gods to get you first downs. Danny O is not a starting QB, but he is a solid back up. Get a solid starting QB and the Lions will be a turn around team next year, see chad pennington.

The Lions are the best worst team there is trust me on this. Not trying to raise hope for next season just facing reality. This year Coaching was horrible. They have the personel they just need a good leader not a motivational speaker and they will have a very good chance at gaining some sort of respect in this league.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bragaboutme, After promoting the front office, the Lyin's have zero chance of gaining some sort of respect in this league. Please define what gaining some sort of respect in this league means.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stotter, I was refering to the coaching change that's about to take place. If they get the D.C. from the Giants then they might get some respect next year at the coaching position. The promotion of the front office was suspect IMHO, but we did need those picks in the draft. Roy was good but not as good as Megatron, so letting him go was a plus for our side and his. Marinelli can take that Tampa 2 when he leaves so we can get rid of whoever came with him and get a solid plan in place. With Mega and K smith I think they will be decent.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any chance of the now former N.Y. Jets head coach AND Brett Favre both coming to Detroit?

Would Green Bay be upset? :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6580
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu_steve... who cares about pissing off Green Bay? We've got enough of our own issues to contend with here much less worrying about who we get angry.

Seeing as how we're saddled with Mayhew and Lewand, let's see what sort of loose knit plans/ vision they have in mind now. Obviously they can't solidify anything until they get a coach in here just yet and quite honestly I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking from the press conference today. Again I have nothing against Lewand tumbling the numbers for this team- he seems like a capable sort of guy who can do that, but Mayhew has GOT to prove to me he can evaluate talent unlike the dope Millen who stunk up the chair before him.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Shanahan was let go by Denver last night. He might be the best ex-coach out there, but the Lions have a history of going with an untested coach.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be so quick to hire Mike Shanahan. His teams have under achieved since Elway retired. The Broncos have averaged 9 wins and 7 loses over the last 10 years.
Here's his record in the post Elway Era:
Regular Season: 91-69
Playoff: 1-4

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions haven't gone 9-7 since 2000, their last winning season. Here's their record over the last 10 seasons:

Regular Season: 48-112
Playoffs: 0-1

I think most fans would have been happy if the Lions matched Denver's record over the last 10 season rather the dismal performance we witnessed. I don't know if he's the answer, but I suspect he would be better than the coach WCF will ultimately pick.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nowhere to go but up!

Might surprise many, and win six or seven games....

Signed,
Bobl, the eternal optimist

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are a perfect example of the 21st century so far, being un-apologetically horrible to becoming simply pathetically awful is cause enough for defending promotions, rewards, and awards.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2009 season appears to be be starting as a real fustercluck.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6595
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current NFL season isn't even done with yet. Let's watch some real decent playoff football for a change, wring our hands at Super Bowl and THEN see what sort of gyrations our Lions team will put us through with a new coach, retention of players, free agency, and the draft.

Jonesy

Post Number: 515
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My list of candidates for the Lions' Head Coaching position. I've seperated them by offensive and defensive expertise.

Offensive
1. Mike Mularkey (OC)
2. Mike Shanahan
3. Josh McDaniels (OC)
4. Kevin Gilbride (OC)
5. Mike Holmgren
6. Russ Grimm (OL & AHC)
7. Brain Billick
8. Mike Heimerdinger (OC)
9. Jason Garrett (OC)
10. Jim Fassel

Defensive
1. Bill Cowher
2. Steve Spaqnuolo (DC)
3. Jim Schwartz (DC)
4. Marty Schottenheimer
5. Leslie Frazier (DC)
6. Rex Ryan (DC)
7. Raheem Morris (DB)
8. Eric Mangini
9. Ron Meeks (DC)
10. Pete Carroll (HC)

The Lions will hire Mike Mularkey.

(Message edited by jonesy on January 03, 2009)

(Message edited by jonesy on January 04, 2009)

(Message edited by jonesy on January 04, 2009)

Jonesy

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My list of Free Agents the Lions will pursue.

Offensive
1. Matt Birk C
2. Darren Sproles RB
Defensive
1. Brian Dawkins SS
2. Johnathan Vilma MLB

The Lions need team leaders and management knows it. They'll sign Birk and Dawkins to fill this void.

Jonesy

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my draft prediction( rounds 1-5).

If the front office believes Orlovsky is their man at QB the draft will go this way-
1 (1) Andre Smith, OT
1 (20) B.J Raji, DT
2 (33) George Selvie, DE
3 (65) Domonique Johnson, CB
3 (84) Cedrick Dockery, OG
5 (129) Darryl Richard, DT

If the front office believes Orlovsky is NOT their man at QB the draft will go this way-
1 (1) Sam Bradford, QB
The Lions will trade the 20th and 33rd pick to move into the top 12 to get one of the top four Tackles. Most likely Jason Smith out of Baylor.
3 (65) Domonique Johnson, CB
3 (84) Cedrick Dockery, OG
5 (129) Darryl Richard, DT

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN has reported that Jason Garrett declined to interview for the Lions' job and that Mangini is in line for the Browns' job.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So any news on who might be a leading candidate for the job?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None yet but I suspect that it will be a person who has never been a head coach before. This is after all, the Lions and what hasn't worked before should always be tried again and again and again and again...

Smogboy

Post Number: 6618
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The front runner right now has got to be a polyp off of old man Ford's neck until they name someone. We all know how he likes naming things close to him to places of authority.

And that's the thing, I'm sure if he were to have brought a tyrant like Parcells here, he would've been told outright what doesn't work. Parcells would've probably fired a heap of people Ford felt close to and brought in qualified people to run things. It might not be the smoothest running machine to be at the helm at that point, but so far Parcells has shown he can be that NFL makeover guru.

Honestly who they bring in here to coach will be a mystery up until the moment they parade him in front of the media (anyone seen Rob Parker lately?).

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a different note, it was nice to watch a football team play good defense this week. Balti looks tough!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I ever much cared for the guy's style too much (playoff choker who got lucky to be playing the Bears in the SB), but Tony Dungy will be available for the Lions today.

http://www.fannation.com/si_bl ogs/nfl_tracker/posts/40101-re port-dungy-is-stepping-down-as -colts-coach

Smogboy

Post Number: 6662
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Dungy's retiring.

No dice. Sorry.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions need to build from the inside out. In other words they need to get there O-line and D-line respectable.

The problems they have with the DB's and Safeties are mainly because the front 4 can't get to the QB and the LB's aren't good enough in coverage or in stopping the run. In otherwords, the Lions can blitz and still not get to the QB which exposes your defensive secondary.

There's no sense in drafting a franchise QB until you get an o-line that can protect him, otherwise you will ruin him. Or if you draft one this year he needs to sit until you have enough blocking pieces around him. Also a good TE and FB that you can get in FA will help with the blocking as well as the check-down passes.

Once you get those pieces in place then go after the skill positions.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6668
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wholeheartedly agree there, Firstandten. They might not be sexy picks but it makes sense to commit some resources to making a solid line. Just look at some of the more "mediocre" QBs in the league that look like superstars when they have a solid O-line in front of them.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Josh McDaniels will coach Denver. From everything I've read, Dungy is definitely retiring.

The Lions appear to be on track for even more fan disappointment.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Promoting Mayhew was their first mistake in rebuilding. Gee, the Lyin's have been rebuilding for over 50 years.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Sam Bradford and Tebow are headed back to school for another year. I guess neither wanted to play for the Lions.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6671
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm, was there any real indication that either of those two guys were even on the radar of the Lions? I think their decisions to go back to school had nothing to do with the Lions picking them.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6672
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And welcome Jim Schwartz. Let's see how this guy can come in and handle the helm of the wonky Lions boat here. From all indications, this guy is young, bright and has a plan. With any luck (because that's what it's going to take because it's hardly been based upon WCF's smarts), he can bring back some respectability to this ravaged team. First thing will have to be to see where he gets his assistants and prep for the draft.

He's on the clock now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6553
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well so far Schwartz has hired two guys in Cunningham and Linehan. On paper that sound spiffy- at least they seem to have some head coaching experience under their belts and could really be an asset to Schwartz.

But then Martz was supposed to be a huge asset to Marinelli too. And when it comes right down to it, it's still the players making plays on the field that will win games.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

You are correct. It will all come down to the players. That is why this draft is so huge. The Lions have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft (2 1st, 1 2nd, and 2 3rd). That should equate to at least 3 new starters and all five of them getting major reps in the 2 deeps. Smart selections could go a LONG way towards transforming the team back into a winner. Let's hope they get it right.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.