Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Let's hear it for EMU and HC Ron English « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has got to be the biggest hire in EMU history.

Getting the guy who was defensive coordinator for Carr has got to be instant crediblity in Washtenaw County and Southeast Michigan.

Apparently 350K / year or 2 x what the last head coach made. :-)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Non-whites need the same opportunities to succeed or fail.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good hire. He knows the prep programs in the area and they know him. He'll do a good job getting 2nd tier players to come to EMU.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good hire EMU and the way to go MAC. There are now three minority coaches in the conference (Buffalo,Miami of Ohio), the conference is leading the way in diversity and living up to its motto as the "cradle of coaches"

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This barrier shall fall. Barkley is right.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word is that English has hired Eric Lewis, former CB coach for L'ville and son of Sherman Lewis, former MSU great.

An UNconfirmed rumor is that Tyrone Wheatly might be coming on board as RB coach.

This show should play very well in Detroit area and indeed all of Michigan.

A lot of doors should open.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a new day at EMU as far as football is concern. First of all I think AD Derrick Gragg is on the ball and will make good hires. English is a up and comer and will turn the program around. EMU is in such a good position with the talent around the SE Mich area. EMU is in perfect position to get that player who won't be recruited by UofM or MSU but can play at a higher level than D-2 ( even though the GLIAC is one of the best D-2 conferences in the country). EMU can stop losing those players to Toledo,WMU and CMU.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get the feeling this could be his stepping stone to getting a job down the road when a certain genius leaves the scene.

Great hire for EMU. They suddenly have relevance in the area

Emu_steve

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who are MAC fans this could be a 'zero sum' hire for the conference.

It appears clear to me [20 - 20 foresight :-) ] that English will attempt to build a staff which can call any h.s. coach in MI and have the call returned.

What this means, though, is that recruiting of MAC caliber prospects will get more competitive.

Will some of English's recruits be players who might have gone to CMU, BG, etc. ???

According to a good EMU board, so far it is English, Sherm Lewis' son, Eric, as DC, (former CB coach at L'ville), possibly Tyrone Wheatly (now a d-III coach)as RB coach, and Kurt Anderson (current EMU assistant and former UofM player) as OL coach.

Anxious to hear the rest of the staff.

Too bad EMU can't afford the big $ which would be necessary to get Scot Loeffler (curious if the Lions' will try to keep him. I think yes, but I'd guess he'll leave maybe for UofWashington).

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty stiff salary for EMU, who routinely fail to draw 10,000 fans for a game. Wonder how they're pulling that off.

That said, I'm betting this will definitely be a brief stay for English. One season over .500 and he's gone.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show me the bucks?

1). Road game guarantees. In '09, UofM, Arkansas and Northwestern.

2). A group of former EMU FB players raise 250K per year

3). This year a sponser bought, I believe, 15K discounted season tickets.

Add it up and there are some bucks there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.