Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » NHL Winter Classic 09 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody going? I tried getting tickets months ago, with no luck :-( For your comedic enjoyment, here's what happens when you try to unload a Honda sponsored Zamboni at a good American Ballpark, Wrigley Field.

http://blackhawks.nhl.tv/team/ launch.htm?type=fvod&id=28651& catid=894

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited about the game, but upset that its not here. I mean we are the Cup champs afterall.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where would they hold it if it was here? Comerica Park?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6583
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they truly wanted an outdoor experience nearby, Comerica Park would be the only place to hold it; all of the other venues are enclosed. If not, at the Big House in Ann Arbor?

But I do agree that it should've been held here. I'm sure Mike Ilitch would've loved the additional income coming from Comerica Park at this time of year.

Raptor56

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a thought to ponder: NHL winter Classic at Tiger Stadium (pre-demo). cozy confines. tons of history.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6584
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56, it's a wonderful thought to ponder. I was just thinking about how cool it would've been to look down from some of those upper sections of pre-demo'd Tiger Stadium. It really would've been a great spot to see the Winter Classic.

But who knows? If the Tiger Stadium Conservancy can salvage that wee little corner of the original ballpark, just maybe we can still have outdoor hockey (although not NHL caliber) being played there. Wishful thinking.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a chance to drive by Tiger Stadium last weekend and was surprised how large the remaining "concert bowl" appears. It would be a great spot to host everything from concerts to Wayne State games. You could even host a tennis exhibition there with temporary seating on the other sides. If they can get the money to renovate the site, the key will be to get a marketing guy running the place who knows how to promote and generate revenue.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome old school uniforms on the teams !

Fafafooey
Username: Fafafooey

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to be great!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the WIND helped Datsyuk through the defense ?
What are these commentators talking about ? Does the wind help a running back run ?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm lovin' it. Watching it on CBC 9 of course.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed the game. Noticed that the local WDIV coverage was lagging behind CBC by a couple of seconds. Talked on the phone to a family member in Nevada, and it was also about two seconds behind their local feed.
I know nothing about TV production. Can anyone explain? Were ANY of the feeds actually live, or is there generally a delay?
Go Wings!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3755
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game, great setup, and tons of Red Wings jerseys in the stands. But the Wrigley Field crew did a great job setting 'er up; my hats off to them. Loved the rooftop fans, too!

That was a fun game to watch!

Raptor56

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different channels have different delay times on their video feeds. A delay allows a network to "dump" a portion of the show when something bad happens. Had CBS broadcast the Super Bowl on a few second delay, we wouldn't have seen the Janet Jackson flashing incident.

Back to the thread at hand, I really enjoyed watching the game. It was also great hearing Dave Strader call the game instead of that db Ray Emrick. Haven't heard Dave call a wings game since he used the be the regular guy on Pass Sports in the early 90's.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really enjoyed watching the game on the Hockey Night In Canada broadcast. Both teams broke the main rule of pond hockey, no lifters.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6594
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the game on television as well with the exception that the play-by-play really wasn't a true calling of the game. Dave Strader (he was pretty darn good when he was here) and Eddie Olczyk really talked more about the spectacle that the WC was instead of the actual calling of the game. I remember there were several penalties called and nothing was even mentioned by either guy as to what or who they were against.

And when the game was first announced I thought about making the trek to Chicago to see the game but then I saw the configuration and realized just how far the seats were. As a hockey fan I love the buzz of being in an excited crowd but let's not forget why I'm there! Was it my imagination but even the worst nose bleed seats at JLA had better sight lines than the best seat at Wrigley. One wonders how anyone could even see the puck other than following the mass of players or when the horn went off during a goal; there really didn't seem to be too many huge TV screens for the people there to watch (and isn't that sort of against why one would go to an event?).

I love the idea of the Winter Classic (all of the players seem to enjoy it as well) and how it exposes hockey to a larger audience but as a fan of hockey, this was more of one for me to watch at home. I still enjoy seeing the action and because of Wrigley's configuration I'm questioning if a baseball stadium is the best venue for these sort of events now despite my earlier wish for it to have been at the pre-demolished Tiger Stadium.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.