Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through December 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pretty sure The Junk Yard is gone. The Property I believe was acquired by the same developer that is developing the Fisher woodlot. I drive down Jefferson all the time so next time I'll make a detour and check. We had a friend with a sailboat who moored there also. I loved the place, it is was so fantastically derelict.

As to sharing information, I've mention I'm writing a book of the History of Grayhaven. Naturally I hesitate to share too much since I would like the book to sell. I put my book on hold for the last 5 years. To collaborate on another history about Detroits eastside regarding Fairview. We hope to have that book published February, 2009. If you ever need a dynamic speaker the President of our non profit the Village of Fairview Historical society is unbelievable. We own the copyrights to hundreds of pictures and documents, in addition we had a virtual done by Schoolcraft College of the D. J, Campau's Detroit Driving Club this virtual was premiered at the Grosse Pointe Park Centennial Celebration at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial we have tape of that speech which we sometimes use at subsequent lectures he has done. We have also done two Bus Tours. The first was underwritten by Absopure which was also celebrating their 100 year birthday. Fun facts: Absopure started as an ice house at the foot of Lycaste in Fairview and hasn't changed their original logo in all that time. The tie between Grayhaven and Fairview is that Edward Gray bought the property from D.J after his track closed.

Another reason I don't always share is because when I have posted articles I have written for Pipeline. They get deleted, why? I don't know. It amazes me how the collective memory of our history is so short. My most recent article was about a cementary the city lost. I posted it and it was deleted. I'll try it again just to see what happens in my next post.

Sumas

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gannon lets see what happens. Sumas

Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery
Chandler Park

Many people traversing Conner at the junction of I-94 must wonder at the strange configuration of the service drive access heading east to the Ex way. What few realize is that the small fenced island is all that is left to commemorate the Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery. Until the mid 1800’s the area was part of Grosse Pointe Township, hence the name.

The Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery was actually a relocation of the Russell Street Cemetery (Roughly what is now Eastern Market) and the Clinton Cemetery also Downtown between 1880 and 1882.

The Russell Street Cemetery contained roughly 4518 bodies. The relocations occurred as Detroit and its environs were expanding. Half of the interred bodies went to CCDGP Cemetery and the other half to Woodmere.

The 2.5 acres for the Clinton Cemetery was purchased from Antoine Beaubien in 1827. The first internment was Friend Palmer, who wrote an early history of the City of Detroit. The body count to be moved was 300, the bulk of the dead buried there was a result of a Cholera epidemic in 1832 to 1833. Catholics were buried in one half and Protestants in the other half. The burial grounds were early European settlers No Native American were interred at any of these three sites.

The land was acquired by Frederick Ruehle from Antoine Joseph Dubay for $3,000.00 in 1872. Ruehle sold the property to the City of Detroit for $6,000.00 within months of his original transaction in 1872. A total of 34 acres was involved. The dedication of the cemetery was August 27, 1880.

Some notables that were buried in the newly created cemetery were Zachariah Chandler, Major Hunter Holmes (War of 1812) and Detroit Mayor Moffat. All were later moved to Elmwood Cemetery. Their history is preserved. Many bodies in the Conner Creek Detroit Grosse Pointe Cemetery were never re-interred. Bodies that remained include now unknown veterans of the War of 1812, the Mexican American War, the Civil War and other ordinary citizens.

In a study entitled “Land Use History of Conner Creek Cemetery”, 1984, the author states, “The burials that remained to the mercies of the city grave diggers during the periods of massive removals were no doubt those who had no one left to mourn them or care for their final resting place. They would become the John and Jane Does of Detroit history. Victims even after death, of municipal incompetence and short sightedness.”

Widespread neglect, abuse and desecration caused this cemetery to disappear from record. The City of Detroit recreation department had responsibility for its maintenance. The area was rediscovered in 1950 when a grave marker from 1838 was unearthed during preliminary earthworks for I -94.

It is interesting to note that the small-gated island that is a commemoration of the early settlers cemeteries was re-christened The Detroit City Cemetery in 1977. The group that did the research and raised the money for this small commemorative plot and plaque was the Birmingham Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is easy to surmise that a good portion of what is now the Chandler Park Golf course was part of that cemetery. The spot is designated Historical Area #20wn383

Chandler Park, once called Campeau Woods, was named after Zachariah Chandler. Chandler was Mayor of Detroit and later served in the U.S. Senate During the Civil War. His opponents labeled him as a “radical abolitionist. He also presided at the impeachment trial of Andrew Jackson.

The Village of Fairview Historical Society

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Ya'll,Hey Breeze good to hear that your still with us.Look forward to seeing you.
The only water craft I own is a canoe, I'll see if I can get it on the plane:^)
Quote of the day: Love is the first requirement for mental health.Sig Freud

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Sumas, lots of interesting info...I would certainly enjoy reading your book(s) when available...not sure where a lot of this info fits in to this Garwoodian thread?? yet interesting all the same...

this thread is a good one. I have become somewhat addicted to following/reading the posts. Quite a cast of characters/contributors...it has been fun to watch this grow/evolve and feel the excitement of the folks who were friends and members of the group from way back when the mansion was still together...their history together is sort of coming alive and thriving with enthusiasm and good spirits... GO for it. Good for them.

Sumas

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The connection is tenuous but it exists. D j Campeau owned the property that is now Grayhaven. He also owned the property that is now Chandler Park hence its name Campeua Woods.

If people want I could post my article on the history of Grayhaven. Its just a thumbnail sketch of course but a decent overview in a few paragraphs.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 672
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I am NOT challenging you. I am communicating with you - I hope. I enjoy your research, knowledge, documentation, experience, etc, and I'm not attempting to cast doubt on you. I'm asking for input and feedback. ASKING. Whatever WE provide helps US to clarify and understand. I know I'm knowledgable, but don't expect to have the final word. A lot of what you've said, I also have documented, and maybe some things you don't have. In due time we'll get the facts. I think Stoney said it best(maybe not exactly as I'm saying it now), posting is devoid of voice inflections and emotions that transmit much information. It's difficult to get the gist at times. My screen name, BTW, was not meant to be historic, it was meant to grab attention and have fun.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I noticed several months ago that you chastised 1Kielsondrive for the incorrect spelling. Personally, I think we should hunt him down like a rabid dog, but I'm kind of busy these days. For some odd reason I always thought in the back of my mind that the correct spelling was Kielson Drive. And on a personal note, I prefer that spelling. But... where does the 400 Keelson Drive come from. I'm actually known on some parts of the Eastern Seaboard Blog sites as Olde Guy, or Snakebait.

Old_guy

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also refer to me in Denver, as the organ donor.

Sumas

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I was snippy. I, like many on this forum am unemployed at least for the winter, I expected to go back to my winter job. Due to the economy, they can't bring me back although they would love to.

I had a phone interview today at 2:00 and was antsy as hell. It turned out to be a BS deal. Oh well.

Aside from final editing on our book, the only thing that amuses/amazes me is this forum. I was probably trying to bolster my ego by showing off. Sorry.

Although, I am not actively writing Grayhaven history currently, I keep up with research to some degree. I recently acquired an original bill sent to a resident by Gray. Such beautiful stationary for a bill.

When this book goes to press, I will turn my efforts to Grayhaven.I sincerely hope forumers will let me interview them personally or via phone. I am still antsy so I'll be posting alot today. It focuses my mind to write and helps calm me.

I just hope nobody tells me to pick up my toys and go home!

Old_guy

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck no, we like everybody, we're Garwoodians. Actually, I can't help it, I don't like Sarah Palin.

Sumas

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fisher compound fronted Lenox so no naming rights there. Gray was a boating nut. Riverside Drive which no long exists ran perpendicular at the northend of the island was dedicated to the city although privately built. Keelson and Port Drive were private roads. The east lagoon was Starboard Lagoon and the west was Port Lagoon. Keelson was named for the Keel of a boat.

1Kielsondrive and I have made up so please don't hunt him down.

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, not sure if this has been brought up here before??but do you know who the architect for Gar Wood's mansion was/is?? and what the cost was to build it way back when??...

i would like to see/read your short history on Grayhaven if you would care to post it here,

Sumas

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt...here is another thought if you moored at Grayhaven you or others could eat for free at the temple (Fisher Mansion)the catch is you have to attend their worship service where they present their offering of food to Krishna. Then they have a daily feast from that offering. I ve never gone but it might be interesting. Side note: my eldest son is planning to become engaged to an adherant there. She a lovely girl and I am happy for him. Should make for an interesting wedding though, a bunch of Polacks and Krishna adherents. Kielbasa and tofu. Yummy

Sumas

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The architect was C. Howard Crane. I do have the $ costs but I would have to go through my files which are down stairs and I am lazy today.

Old_guy

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raining in Florida today Hoover?

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 'keel' is the feature on a sailboat that stabelizes the vessel and keeps it from capsizing when under sail. Powerboats have a smaller 'ridge' running down the center of the exterior hull (smaller but effective) that keeps the boat from literally sliding sideways across the water during turns. Anyway, that's my logic on yhe spelling of #1 Keelson Drive. It don't really matter how you spell it these days.........ain't nobody gettin any mail delivered. Hey, did anybody ever really get any mail delivered there?

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sunshine here today i got mail at Garwood

A2_dj
Username: A2_dj

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt: Check your E Mail Firstlady and I have sent you messages.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 674
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in hiding.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, Stn I have no color photos and very surprised to see that b+w one...if there were days, yes, those were them...the corner at State and Liberty is now Davids Books with a different mural on it...if you have time in A2 visit my friends bar -the Millennium Club and Cavern club on First St. next door to the Blind Pig...I 've done paintings internal and external at those bars...thx for th photos

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Ya'll, Stnfrnt I mailed a post card to Penny from Denmark, TN to 1 Keelson Drive Grayhaven Island Detroit, Michigan 48215 and she received it, so I guess the Postal Service recognised that spelling for what ever thats worth.What Part of CO did your son live Old guy?
Quote of the day: Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it. if it changes your life, let it. J.K.(anonymous)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Candy, great advice and well put. We've all survived and thrived in spite of our own craziness and the obstacles put in front of us. We have learned. And we're all here to tell our stories. Hear, hear!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, if you'd like to send me your email, I'd like to send you a photo of the Fruehauf Mansion, Dude! Them's fightin' words! 1kielsondrive@live.com

Old_guy

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detgrl, The photograph of the bridge is incredible.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sug's new bass boat
$345,000...trailer included

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$345,000............fishfinder and rod holders not included.

Old_guy

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring the bait. Wait a minute... the last time I said that, you said you are the bait. I'll bring the beer. Shouldn't take that long to make it up the east coast, through the Great Lakes and dock her in Motown.

Old_guy

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, that photo of you and Gus in Bolinas blows me away. I hope when we meet up in Detroit I can remember to tell you a story about a night I spent on that same beach a few years later. This was probably a year or so after the quick exodus from Alameda. Did that take place in the Candy Van?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'chance' meeting of two American musicians on the Viet Nam front led to one of the most prolific........................................................................................

Road trip?