Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through December 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like fun,wish I could be there.Looking forward to the dinner...

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are making the dough and chilling it in big sections ahead of time. The kids will roll out the dough, cut out shapes, decorate, and bake.

We are also bringing milk to go with the, a'hem, sample cookies. We are bringing big Ziploc bags with the thought that kids will bring home most of their creations.

Still making dough, I have not looked for shape cutters yet.

(Message edited by Crystal on November 21, 2008)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll dig out what I have too Crystal, just in case. See you tomorrow!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, thank you. We are looking forward to tomorrow!

Blueidone

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday morning Bump!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4041
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub - it was nice to see you and get to visit a little yesterday :-) We were happy to meet the Deacon too.

Ummm - is Cub gonna be able to work on some of those cookies today?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 977
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here Erie. Always a pleasure. Hope I get to work on the cookies Lol.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you're quite welcome. Hope to do more and participate in the future. We still hope to have at least one member there on the 6th.

Blueidone

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a great Craft Day today! A sincere thank you to everyone who was there to help out..VivaDetroit, Crystal & Hubby, Cub, PlymouthRes & Mary...and all the others who are not DYes'ers. We had about 30 kids who painted and decorated ornaments and village houses and made dozens and dozens of Christmas cookies.

I'm exhausted...but very gratified to see everyone having such a great day!

Thanks again to everyone who helped or donated!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 938
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Craft Day that Blueidone arranged yesterday was a smashing success, with almost three dozen kids participating from the neighborhood! The program that she set up was one of the best that the Garden has offered to date, and it could not have been done without her effort!

We even had a couple of kids we had never seen at one of our events before, and the entire crowd enjoyed their turn at baking cookies, thanks to Crystal and her husband. Thanks so much to them for allowing so many kids to enjoy something it was obvious they had never previously enjoyed!

I am continually amazed at the joy that I see from the children as they join us in any of the Garden's growing outreach programs. These programs provide a vital need in a community where some of these kids do not have the benefit of a stable adult environment, so this and the many programs that will come provide them with a place to find some interactions with adults that care about them and their wellbeing.

It is extremely humbling to be involved with so many good people who are totally devoted to helping others so effectively.

Thanks to everyone who supported this effort, both to those who were there and those who helped out in the background.

I am looking forward to the dinner we are having on December 6th at the same church. We are going to make an attempt to feed close to 75 people, and we would appreciate any and all support from where ever we can get it. We still need donations of goods, but we also need donations of your time. Please consider joining us to help us better serve the people of your community!

Thanks again to all who participated in Craft Day to help make it a success!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went shopping today and picked up a few more things for your feast. A turkey (15 lbs)2 jars of gravy, a can of yams, a jar of cranberries and a tub of Koolwhip. Sorry it isn't more. Also sorry I can't cook and deliver the turkey. So Cub will get it in its raw state. Hopefully, someone can step up to the plate and cook and slice it for the event. We will drop this batch of stuff to Cub probably Monday or Tuesday. Sorry we can't commit to more but right now we are swamped with family and friends in need of our time and energy. If at all possible we will attend Dec. 6th and assist in serving and clean up. Would it be alright if we brought a friend to enjoy the feast as just a participant? He is fighting multiple cancers and would love the fellowship this event embodies. He lives in Detroit in an adjacent community. Please keep a running list of needs. We might be able to bring more items, such as paper plates etc. Also don't forget saran wrap or tin foil, many people like to take home left overs, I am thinking of the old ladies who remember "waste not , want not". I also bought the makings for sour cream apple pies. Just don't know if we can deliver, so don't count on it. Crazy as it sounds, many local "dive" bars minister to the lonely on holidays. We bring pies to their events and I am afraid to over extend ourselves.

Cub

Post Number: 978
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Sumas and thank you. We welcome guests.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Sumas, that is great. Thanks sooo much! We appreciate it. I will be emailing the list tonight, but I don't think we've got your email. Could you email the georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll get that to you?

yes, we're getting tin foil for take home bags. If we have food left, that is!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 959
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!!

Blueidone

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that note...Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you who read our threads, help us out in any way, want to help but can't, or even think about us once in a while.

I hope that you and your families can enjoy a wonderful meal and the love of family and/or dear friends.

We look forward to providing those things to the Georgia Street neighborhood on December 6th.

Davemarc

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva,did you get my email? oh,and bump.lol

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Dave! Yes, i got it today. I will reply. I've been in a turkey coma since yesterday! haha.

Hope everyone ate well & is relaxing well today.

Blueidone

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday Morning Bump

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Sunday morning to all,

Just wanted to remind you that the Georgia St. Community Collective's Holiday Dinner is Saturday, Dec. 6th. It runs from 5-9 pm. If you were interested in volunteering with us - either by way of donating time, food or financial help -could you please let us know soon?

While there really isn't concrete deadline to offer monetary donations or to help at the event, we do have a deadline for food donations. We will need to know by Monday, Dec. 1 (tomorrow) if you would like to donate food since we're going to have to go get the rest of the outstanding items this week.

We appreciate all of your help and couldn't do this w/o our DYes family. Thanks so much!

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to the pictures from last Saturday's Craft Day. A little late due to the holiday and this photobucket site erasing the pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

http://photobucket.com/gscccra ftsday

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just beautiful.

Sumas

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still need a final list of needs/wants. Can probably bring more on Saturday but I am clueless as to what you're still missing.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4106
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of smiling faces! Great pics!

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the final list of needs/wants:

Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Gravy
More cool whip
More pies
More cranberry sauce

Thanks for the kick in the butt, Sumas! And thanks to everyone who is helping w/ this!

Sumas

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone wants to do another craft/activity day, I have a suggestion. Years ago when my kids were 4 and 10 years old we did a dinosaur themed party for our youngest. We lived in a townhouse rental community in Northville. Tons of kids of all ages. The youngest kid at this party was two and the oldest was sixteen. I was amazed at the age range that enjoyed the party and the activities. I can't take credit for any of these ideas, I admit I bought a book at Borders with party themed ideas. What did surprise me is that all age groups enjoyed all of the games and activities. I wanted to be inclusive and guess I thought the older kids were coming for the food. Some of the activities were Plaster casts called dino prints (actually just kids hand prints)a volcano eruption, a concoction of I think soda powder, red dye, sand and vinegar, a dinosaur hunt, cheap plastic dinos bought at big lot odd lot. Hidden at different levels for different age groups. A game of hot potato using a stuffed dinosauer etc. What struck me most, at the time was how much kids, the oldest included, need activities, a little attention, a little love and something to strive for. That silly little party has stuck with me for many years. I hope that craft days become a fixture in the Georgia program.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. :-)

Blueidone

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the bump, Dave. We look forward to seeing everyone who volunteered on Saturday. A huge thank you to all those who donated food, money and/or time.

Suma
Username: Suma

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are determined to totally commit to being there. Count on us for two sour cream apple pies. We can bring only two folding chairs as most of our stuff is still in storage. I will do my best to borrow extra chairs and maybe a table, no guaratees on that however. Keep a running list of needs going, I am expecting a client check by Friday and could maybe bring more if you are still short. Look forward to this weekend. Viva le jardin.

Davemarc

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The countdown is on.....I start cooking tomorrow!I have a feeling this is going to be a great start to the christmas season.I have a family party of about 25-30 people on sunday,no one thought to ask if I had anything going this weekend!This is going to be great!Dave

Cub

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump :-)