Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through November 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Putz, our dog, says thank you. At the moment, 5:00 AM Monday morning, he isn't looking too cute to me since he stole all my pillows and pushed me out of our bed. Seriously, Ron and I ridiculously adore him and spoil him to death. We think he is probably the original Puggle (Pug Beagle mix)He makes us laugh with his funny looks and odd mannerisms and God knows we all need to laugh in these trying times. I highly recommend the breed since they love everybody, they are smart and very loyal. The only thing he has responded badly to was a rat and an opposum. Stories to long to tell here.

I look forward to Spring and hope Cub will let me plan and plant an herb garden. I own my own garden company and by this time of year exhaustion sets in. I hate winter and wish I could hibernate. Spring always rejuvenates me so you can count on us for plants and labor in 2009.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A slight change in plans for the Craft Day this coming Saturday: Instead of doing some science stuff in addition to making ornaments, we are going to be making cookies! Thanks to Crystal and hubby for taking on that part of the day.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like fun!wish I could attend.Dave

Blueidone

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will miss you, Dave! But look forward to seeing you at another event.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is craft day going to be at, Cub?

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Pgn, the craft day is at the Christ Word Outreach Ministries' Annex at 8925 Holcomb, corner of Georgia.

Hope you can make it. :-)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks viva

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub,

Do you need anything like paper plates, napkins, or the like for the dinner on the 6th? Shoot me an e-mail.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the plates & napkins Cman! we appreciate it.

In case anyone is still interested in donating financial or food goods, here's a list of what we'll still need for the Dec. 6th feast:
more mashed potatoes
more gravy
yams
more stuffing
more pies
cool whip
2 more turkeys
tea punch
salt/pepper
sugar/sweetener

If you would like to volunteer to help out (easy tasks - serving food, talking to the guests, cleaning off tables), please let us know. You'll get a nice meal in return. And maybe some of Gnome's famous apple pie or Cub's bread pudding to take home..

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about milk? We can bring some gallons of milk for the kids. I will ask my sister-in-law about pie. She is a pie artist.

Blueidone

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's probably a good idea, Crystal...thanks!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should be able to swing an additional donation or two. I need to do a grocery trip Saturday and several stores discount turkeys if you spend X amount of dollars.

I don't remember the original menu, are green foods included?

So many bad things are happening that I appreciate the Georgia Street Gardens as a ray of light and hope. It cheers me to see all the kind people that have been behind this effort.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly how many mashed potatoes does one make for 100 people? Is there going to be a master list on the Georgia site that lists what each person is bringing/doing and where to go to make the food? Where do we drop off pies? What time do we arrive to start cooking? Where do we park?

Crystal

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie, I think Blueidone (corneroffice2 at ol.com) and Vivadetroit (georgiast313 at yahoo.com) are keeping track of donations.

Also, farther up the thread is the initial long post listing items wanted, location, time, etc.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Sumas. Mash, we will have three stoves available. 2 at my house and one in the church annex. Parking is on the street in front of the annex its not a busy street. You can come as early as you want to my home. Pies can be dropped off to me. Thank you Crystal.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pies can be dropped off to me.

Is that like Yogi Bear collecting Picnic Baskets?

Cub

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most certainly! (Hey Boo boo, the pies are coming to me).

Cub

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschievous, Thank you so much to you and your group.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there going to be a meeting before the dinner?To work out the details.I should be available for set up the day of,you could get an idea who is available.Just a thought.Dave

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pie inspector

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Cub's Pic-a-nic basket?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9238
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ranger Gnome must have taken it.

Cub did you get my last email with the uncompressed files ok?

Blueidone

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mash: If you are going to make mashed potatoes from scratch, you can figure 15-20 servings per 10 pounds of potatoes. Please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com to let me know how much you plan on making.

Here's some general information:

Everyone who is donating food is asked to let us know how many servings or what size item you are donating. We are planning to serve at minimum of 60 people, and it could be as high as 100.

Anyone who wants the list of items still needed should e-mail me at the address above, as well.

Anything that can be cooked at home and then brought to the dinner, should be. For example, I am going to make my turkey at home and then cut the meat off the bone and bring it to the dinner in a disposable aluminum pan. It can then be reheated.

We plan on getting to the church annex by 2pm to start setting up, but as Cub said, if you need to use the kitchen at his house or the annex, we can go earlier. Just let us know.

Those who are going to stay and help us serve dinner, greet guests, etc. are asked to wear something in holiday colors, a santa hat, or something to acknowledge the holiday season.

Thank you again to everyone who is helping out with this terrific event!

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas: yes, we'll have green foods. We'll have corn, green beans, squash, a huge salad w/ all of the fixins, a veggie tray and olives/pickles.

Mash: are your taters the boxed kind or real, peeled, cut taters? That way we can help estimate how much. I'm bringing a big box of powdered taters in case we run out.

We do have a list. I can forward it to everyone who has emailed us today. If you haven't emailed us and want to help & receive the list, pls email us at georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Blueidone

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooppss...I forgot to use the new e-mail address! Sorry!

Cub

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!! at Gnome.

JL, I have not received it.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva, I am going to make homemade potatoes at home and will load them in two large aluminum pans. I'll buy three large bags of potatoes so that should be about 60 people. I'll be staying to help serve. I'm making two pumpkin pies, also. I won't email them. LOL!

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This group is AMAZING. I would like to send a cash donation, where do I send it? Hopefully in the near future I can donate some time too. Special Blessings to you Cub,and to all of your volunteers.You can e-mail me at girlygirlnyc2004@yahoo.com or just post the addy here and I will check the thread for it. Happy Holiday Season to All

Crystal

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Making four batches of cookie dough now in preparation for tomorrow's cookie event!

Blueidone

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal...are they going to decorate them? Do you need extra cookie cutters or decorations?