Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through November 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all-

After this weekends Executive Board meeting at Cub's house, the Board agreed that a new thread should be started to coincide with the events that will be going on at the Community Center and as a way to communicate with anyone interested in what is going on there rather than at the Garden.

A couple of events have already been scheduled and will be held at a church by the name of Christ Word Outreach, 8925 Holcomb Street, just two blocks east of the Garden.

The first event we will be hosting at the church will be on November 22nd, from 1:00pm to 5:00 pm. Blueidone has spearheaded a craft event that will allow the children that came out to the Garden all summer an opportunity to get together and make a Holiday Ornament that they can hang on their Christmas trees.

We could use some help working with the kids, and anyone who would like to volunteer to help out is welcome. We could also use some old shirts for smocks that the kids could wear to keep from getting covered in paint! Feel free to drop off anything you could help anytime. Just let Cub know that you are coming down!

The second event, and perhaps the most important event we will ever sponsor, is the Holiday dinner that we will be hosting for the residents of Cub's neighborhood on December 6th, from 5:00pm to 9:00pm at the church. Although we have quite a few of the ingredients already being made for a great meal, we still need to request donations.

We are hoping to feed at least 75 to 100 people this year. This is an opportunity for you to help be a part of something tangible that may very well provide some of the folks who will be attending their best meal of the holiday season. More info on donation requests will follow, so please try to help out if you can.

We could also use help to set up and serve these folks, too, so if you can help with that please let us know. We could use all the help we can get!

Stay tuned for more as the Center comes online. The building is in the process of a total transformation, and this thread is a way to stay connected with it all!

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work. One of these times, I will make it out to Motown for one of your events. I am always sad to miss them!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks PlymouthRes!

For the Craft Day..We will be painting plaster and wood ornaments. If anyone has extra acrylic craft paint, glitter, sequins, any other craft stuff that could be used to decorate their ornaments, that would be welcomed too! Supervisors are most important. I would like to have at least one adult for every two kids, if possible.

Please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com if you would like to donate or help out.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would really enjoy the opportunity to meet you, Cman! Cub speaks well of you! Perhaps we can get together one day soon and we can give you a tour of the "New" Community Center.

Thanks for the kind words!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the kids like to bake and decorate cookies on Craft Day?

Or would it be too busy in the four hours set aside for ornaments? We could have the dough ready and chilled, and the kids could cut out the shapes and decorate.

As a kid, baking was always one of my favorite parts of the holiday season. It was hard to beat colored sprinkles and the fun shapes.

Not sure there is an oven at the church. No oven would mean longer baking times!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9611
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Plyres,
As usual, I'll not commit until I'm sure I'll be able to help out, or I find that day free and show up.

Glad, you're there, as well as others, for Cub and those projects.

Wish my life allowed me the time to participate more, but C'est le vie.

Hope to see you and Mrs. Res soon.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to help! Unless I have to work, which I don't know yet. But then most likely, I won't have a job! LOL!

Can I help with crafts? You don't want me around food.

Can you post a list of what you need for each event?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mash, VivaDetroit is putting together a list and it will be up by tomorrow evening.

Blueidone

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craft Day is also going to include some science stuff for the kids, I believe. If so, I think that will be plenty for this day. But we really appreciate the offer, Crystal. Maybe we can have a baking day sometime after the holidays? For Valentine's Day?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, would love to get a chance to meet you as well. Since I live in Boston now (formerly New York), getting out to Detroit is not a frequent thing. I last came out in August and was lucky that Kathleen brought me by to see the garden.

I am getting married this coming year, which will make things more difficult, but I am hoping to come out again sooner rather than later! In the meantime, I'll participate in whatever ways I can from afar. Cub, whenever you get your list together, I will send something!

Blueidone

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal: There has been a change of thinking. If you would like to do the cookie thing, we welcome the effort. Cub tells me there's plenty of room for cookie making in one room, science in another and painting in another. We will just rotate the kids every half hour or so. Sound like a plan?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully I,ll get to meet the rest of the crew one day. My sping is fixed in the truck so i,ll be able to haul stuff better,Stil got most of the stuff I said I had for the Django deal, I can drop stuff off anywere now.Don,t have alot of time but I do have that stuff I said I have.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog-

Thanks for the update and, yes, we should hook up soon! I live closer to you than Cub's, so we should plan some kind of exchange closer to our houses, which will make it easier for both of us. E-mail me at b c jaxson at yahoo dot com and we will set something up.

Crystal-

Yes, cookies are a great idea, so hopefully we can fit them in and give the kids something else to look forward to! Thanks for all of your family's support at the Garden!

Everyone else-

As you can imagine, it is quite task planning an event of this magnitude. We will be putting together a donation and volunteer list, so we appreciate all of you stepping up and volunteering to help with this very worthy cause.

Stay tuned for more info here and thanks again!

Res

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, great ideas, holiday decorations will be nice for the kiddies to make.

Just a question on the holiday dinner, ... will it be a big potluck kind of thing where everyone brings something or will it be different?

Blueidone

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome: We are not asking the neighborhood folks to bring anything. We are providing the traditional "turkey dinner" for them. If there is a specific dish you would like to cook and donate, just let us know.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a place to cook there? I make THE BEST mashed potatoes...possibly the only cooking I do well.

Cub

Post Number: 951
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mash. There is one in the building and we have two other stove just a block away.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make one of the finest apple pies in the Western World, but making pies for 100 people is well beyond my skill set or price range.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for sure on the dinner...I can help serve/set up and also bring a few desserts if I may. :-) I'm a baking fool!

Crystal

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I cannot speak for those in charge here, but probably one or two pies would be very much appreciated. For any one food, one would not have to commit to enough of that food to feed 100.

We are bringing squash, but probably only one slow cooker full of squash.

Cub

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are not asking for one person to do for a hundred people. Example: 4 or 5 people donate 2 pies. lol.

Cub

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You crystal. thats what I was trying to say.:-)
Tkierpiec, Bake as much as you want I will take care of all the extras lol. Thanks.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone! Thanks to all for your support and the offers for volunteering your time, financial support and/or culinary skills.

I helped Cub with the Angels Night Harvest Fest and I must say our efforts are making an impact on the kids in the neighborhood. These kids were so excited for the hotdogs & chips and then the movie. But I think the fact that someone other than a teacher or a family member was listening & talking to them was an important part of the night. So, these events will definitely have an impact.

Here's what we've got planned for the next two months so far. Sorry some of this is repetitive from Res' and Blue's posts above.

1. Community Market WorkDay -- Nov. 15
One more cleanup & both buildings will be completely cleaned out & ready for renovation. We will be working in the Market on Saturday, Nov. 15, starting at noon. Bring gloves, tools, safety glasses and a ladder as we'll be working on tearing out the tin ceiling inside the market. Meet at the Market, located at 8902 Vinton (corner of Vinton & Georgia). Contact Cub if you have any questions about this event.

2. Holiday Craft Day -- Nov. 22
We will be having ornament making, cookie decoration, a science experiment/show and of course, storytelling. Event is on Sat., Nov. 22 from 1-5 p.m. We welcome any donations of craft supplies, old t-shirts, old newspapers, and holiday-themed storybooks. Event will be at the Christ Word Outreach Ministries' Annex at 8925 Holcomb, corner of Georgia. Contact Blueidone if you have any questions about this event.

3. Holiday Dinner -- Dec. 6
This is the most important event of the year. Not only will we be able to see the kids who participated in the Garden's events, we will be able to meet others in the neighborhood who will benefit from the Collective's efforts in the future. The dinner will occur Sat., Dec. 6 from 5-9 p.m. at the Christ Word Outreach Ministries’ Annex at 8925 Holcomb, corner of Georgia.

We are planning a big meal and this is what we will need:
1. 4 Turkeys (if you don't want to cook them, we will)
2. 1 Ham
3. Corn and green beans. We'll need about 5 bags of each veggie (preferably frozen)
4. Salad dressings (1-3 bottles, various flavors).
5. Mashed potatoes (2 more big pots of taters)
6. Gravy.
7. Yams (10 big cans)
8. Stuffing (2 more big pots)
9. Cool-whip (7 tubs)
10. Apple & pumpkin pies (5 apple and 3 pumpkin)
11. 2 Canister of coffee (1 reg. and 1 decaf)
12. Box of tea bags
13. Salt & pepper (about 10 of each)
14. Roll of tablecloth (the ones for big parties)

We will also need many volunteers to pull this event off. We estimate that we will need people to cook and serve food, help clean tables/take out trash, be greeters and also to mingle with our guests. Contact Vivadetroit if you have any questions about this event.

If you would like to donate time, money or food, please email us at
georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com. Or post here on the forum. Thanks!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Mash, Crystal & Tkierpiec-
thanks for your offer to donate some food. I will put you down for these items.

Gnome, Mash & Tkier, can you email us at the georgiast313 email above so I can get an exact number and type of goodies you're offering to bring? thanks again!

Crystal

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivadetroit, I will send you an e-mail tonight.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can do a few pies, too. Will email.

Crystal

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you e-mail pies? Just kidding.

Cub

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! ^

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh stop. I'm tired. LOL!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!