Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Can anyone beat my detroit sports trivia knowledge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2868
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whose was the tigers manager before sparky?

Lefty2

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who are the only people in the baseball hall of fame who never played, managed or announced a game.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph(ck spell)Hauk?

blksoul_atcha!
paint the white house Black o8'

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to Question 2 has to be...umpires?

blksoul_atcha!
paint the white house Black o8'

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a easy one for you...

The candidate to be the next mayor of Detroit Dave Bing turned out to be one of the greatest players in the NBA.

Why was the fan base here not totally happy when the Pistons drafted him ?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question #1 Dick Tracewski (Les Moss would have been the regular full time manager before Sparky Tracy may have had the "interim" title assigned to him for the 2 games he managed)

Question #2 - Umpires,Owners & Writers

(Message edited by zitro on November 14, 2008)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#2 Morganna the kissing Bandit?

Lefty2

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Zitro is correct, Les Moss, you win 10 points.

2) Abbot and Costello, who's on first! No one got it? A must see for any baseball fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sShMA85pv8M

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FirstAndTen: because the Knicks had already snatched up Cazzie

Firstandten

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyrprocess, funny thing after the Pistons lost the coin flip people thought the Knicks would still take the Syracuse hot shot. The Pistons really won out on that one.

Zitro

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Detroit twirler was the only ambidextrous pitcher and what was his nickname and what baseball tradition was he credited for starting?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was Detroit's only Jewish battery?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Which Detroit twirler was the only ambidextrous pitcher

Only as in only in the history of MLB, becuase I can recall one who pitched for the Expos and i think it was the only time in the 20th century.

The Detroit Lions on what date were the only time the wore their away jerseys at home.

Firstandten

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro give us a hint !!

Zitro

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He pitched before Ty Cobb arrived on the scene in Detroit

Zitro

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj- If there was another pitcher who was ambidextrous I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Let's refine the question to the only Detroit pitcher then.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No biggie, I was just confused because the player I was thinking of didn't play for the Tigers as far as I could remember.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was Detroit's only Jewish battery?

Al Kaline?

Lefty2

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are referring to the great Hank Greenberg

Zitro

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A battery is a combination of pitcher & catcher.

Larry & Norm Sherry could be the answer but I'm not sure if Norm played for the Tigers

(Message edited by zitro on November 17, 2008)

Lefty2

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats it!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOVE the Sports Trivia Questions!

Without giving too much information, in this age of Google - here is one of my all-time favorites:

Please identify the pitchers that joined forces to pitch a no-hitter, and LOST (2-1)...versus Detroit, in the spring of 1967

Zitro

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No google needed on this one Stu Miller and Steve Barber who pitched for Baltimore.

Still looking for the answer to my question. More hints?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....You Do-Not Mess Around; that was a quick & correct response!

Try this one:

Name the Tiger who - in 1970 - hit what would have been a grand-slam....but....was called out for passing the runner between first and second base.

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 18, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question Chuck, that one's going to require a little research I'll take a flyer on Ike Brown before I do though

(Message edited by zitro on November 18, 2008)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....always nice to hear someone mention Ike Brown.

Your research will soon reveal the correct answer - I have have faith in you!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro...My internet research reveals that Detroit's All-Jewish battery consisted of Pitcher Saul Rogovin & Catcher Joe Ginsberg - way back in 1951

Zitro

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice catch, never heard of either of them.

Zitro

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 9, 1970: Dalton Jones of the Detroit Tigers loses a grand slam against the Boston Red Sox when he passes teammate Don Wert on the base paths. Jones pinch hits for Jim Price and belts a 2-2 pitch from Vincente Romo into the RF upper deck for a grand slam. However, he passes Wert between first and second and is called out, ending up with a 3-RBI single

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro...There You Go!
I always thought of Dalton Jones as a "junior" Norm Cash

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is pretty easy to research...

Anybody remember the last U of D Titan to play in the NFL?

The_rock

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You nailed it chuckjav, the answer to my question regarding the Tigers'Jewish battery. Saul Rogavin on the mound and Joe Ginsberg behind the plate.

If jjaba was not on another extended vacation, he probably would have chimed in with that answer, too! He is Jewish and I remember stumping him with that question when we attended a ball game one night.

I attended a few of those games when those two players were in the lineup.

And thanks to Zitro for explaining what a battery is

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock....thank you for the opportunity.

I too miss jjaba; until his triumphant return, I shall do my best to serve as interim resident-Jewish dude.

PS loved the response of Al Kaline to the Jewish battery question. I doubt that Big Al spent any time in Hebrew school...but he was & is one helluva battery.

;-)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preface: This sports question has nothing to do with Detroit....but....since I've done well with the trivia questions, I want to throw this one out there:

Please name the only major league baseball player to win a national championship in the javelin throw.

Your hint is: this person remains the youngest male athlete ever to win a national title in a track & field event.

Zitro

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clue for the ambidextrous pitcher. One of his nicknames was "The Count".

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....John Montefusco?

Zitro

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: This was my first hint.

quote:

He pitched before Ty Cobb arrived on the scene in Detroit

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro...thanks for the heads-up; wow....back to the drawing board for me.

Zitro

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the question carefully, you don't want to trip on the bump.

Zitro

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a little baseball photo quiz going on in the St. Jude forum if you are interested.

The_rock

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you baseball trivia buffs ( like Zitro and chuckjav ) let me at least mention that one of my former law partners who now practices in Dearborn put out a "Tiger Trivia" baseball game several years ago. His dad was a long time employee of the Tiger organization and worked for several years in the locker room, knew all the players etc. He accumulated a great deal of "knowledge" (trivia !) about the Tigers, more than enough to have his son prepare a Tiger Trivia game quite like Trivial Pursuit. He got permission from the Tiger organization to have it put into production with the Tiger colors, the Tiger logo etc.
He really did not have the time to market his creation, so it really did no sell as well as he hoped it would. But every now and then I get out my copy and review the different trivia cards (questions) and still marvel at the amount of Tiger trivia he acquired and made a part of his game.
I note there is one of his "Tiger Trivia" games on eBay right now!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock....thank-you; I am running - sprinting - to eBay, right now.

Zitro

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another hint on the ambidextrous pitcher.

His name was coincidently mentioned on Mike & Mike this morning in the is Mike Mussina a Hall of Famer discussion. His career stats were:

W-L 284-220
ERA-3.05
Strikeouts-1803

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....the stats just sealed the deal; those career numbers belong to Tony Mullane

Zitro

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good Chuck, now there are 2 more parts to the question that needs to be answered.

I gave you one of his nicknames but he had another. And what baseball tradition was he mainly responsible for starting?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....you drive a hard bargain; I can't find much at all on Mullane. He was a ladies man and a tough customer with team owners - always demanding more money. Does the answer to your question have something to do with letting ladies in for free, whenever he pitched?

Zitro

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very astute assumption. His nickname was "Apollo of the Box" and yes he was quite the dashing figure of his day. Baseball in an effort to boost attendance and trying to attract a more cerebral crowd created the first Ladies Day whenever he pitched.

For those of you that are wondering he pitched for the Detroit Wolverines in the National league.

Zitro

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary: It looks to me that are were two U of D players who played in 1974.

http://www.databasefootball.co m/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid =ALDERGRA01

http://www.databasefootball.co m/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid =DANEYGEO01

Zitro

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a pretty cool website for different types of baseball info outside the boxscore including nicknames and grave locations. I've used this as a reference when traveling to seek out some of these graves, respectfully of course as macabre as it sounds.

http://thedeadballera.com/

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it Zitro...Grady Alderman was the one I had in mind, he was the last "true Titan" because he finished his college career there. Daney ended up at Texas El Paso after U of D cancelled football in '65.

Zitro

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did The Corner have 2 decks for Opening Day?

The_rock

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that the Tiger Trivia game on eBay went for $19.38. Were you in the hunt Chuckjav?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock.....Rats & Double-Rats!
I put up a bid of something like $18.98 and hoped for the best; looks like I should have paid closer attention.

Oh Well

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lefty,

Abbot & Costello have never been inducted into the base ball Hall of Fame. So the answer to your question is nobody.

And giving Greenberg as an answer for a battery?

And finally, to answer your original question, (Can anyone beat my detroit sports trivia knowledge)? Apparently yes, just about everybody can.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.