Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Allen Iverson now a Piston? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breaking News on ESPN any thoughts on that?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9174
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chancey AND McDyess for Iverson? Wow. Big big big.

It's a different look that's for sure. It definitely sets us up for a handful of expiring contracts with Iverson & Sheed. Interesting indeed.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will fill up the stands, Pistons were getting a little stale. Billups will be going home to Denver, good fit. Fsster game no D.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9176
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will admit a soft spot for McDyess and his desire to win a championship here. He REALLY really wanted to win the big one before he walked down the tunnel for the last time here. I don't know if his chances are that much better in Denver but he'll always garner a measure of respect from me for his desire and commitment. He'll always be a class act in my book.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heard about it on 97.1. been scouring the internet looking for details. I think they'll miss McDyess off the bench. A.I. is a better scorer than Chauncy, however I wonder how his trademark selfish play will affect the team. On side bonus for next year, the pistons free up $30+ million of cap room next season since Iverson and Sheed are in the last years of their contracts. Should be interesting to see how the Pistons play the free agent market next year with all that dough.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9177
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if the Pistons win it all, I could easily see Joe D. wanting to possibly re-sign Iverson and/or Sheed too. This season is gonna be exciting but next year could REALLY be interesting.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next year will be good, who should they go after?

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lebron can be bought. Im sure he has no loyalty to Cleveland

Kenp

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wants out of Cleveland, but I think he wants to play for ther Knicks.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that Denver will buy out McDyess and he will end up back in Detroit.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!, Ok let me unpack this for a minute. We gain AI, a career 27 ppg and a quality intangible like toughness and gritty.

We lose, Chauncey 14 ppg a solid defender, and a tough match up in Chauncey, also we lose Antonio Mcdyes a quality six man and defender with a career 13.4 points a game.

The Pistons lose 2 players total that average right around 27 points per game. They gain a quality player with a career scoring average of 27 point per game.

So what do the Pistons gain...Essentially, Not much, in terms of talent__they have an explosive player that is capable of scoring 50 point in a single game, that in itself will put people in the stands as well and create a hope of change from the past 5 seasons, and will give the Pistons a boost as did the 'Sheed' trade a few years back. In other-words, it's something different.

What do they lose, A proven leader in Chauncey Billups, a match-up difficulty for the opposition, and the franchise identity as well as a solid defender and scorer coming off the bench.

In other-words, 2 Joe D type players, that works well in the Pistons system.

Bottom line, I don't think this will make the Pistons better or worse, they know will finish 2nd in the east with a slightly different style of play with a bit more explosiveness. The Pistons now have a guy that can get to the line in close games. A problem that they have had since Joe D took control.

*To note, there is a rumor that the Pistons will buy out Mcdyes's contract out and he will return to Detroit to play. If that is the case, this is a better than successful trade.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta admit, I'm not real pleased hearing one of the most selfish players in the league is now a Piston. I'm trying to reserve judgment, but the guy doesn't work well with others. I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They said the same thing about Sheed, and look how that turned out. :-)

I can't wait to see which free agent we go after next year...

Smogboy

Post Number: 9178
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's, if nothing else, the Big Splash that Joe D. promised all summer long. Again, if things don't work out this season, Joe can easily cut salary in 'Sheed and Iverson and have $35 million to go snag ourselves some top quality talent. Either way the Pistons have some pretty good options here.

But this trade being on paper might sound good, it still remains to be seen how well we match up against the likes of LA and Boston.

Raptor56

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is one sticking point to the deal, though. McDyess does not want to go to Denver, and a source close to him says "he will not put on a Nuggets uniform" and may opt to retire.

Because of McDyess's objection, the Nuggets may waive the mandatory physical each player in a trade must take in order for the league to approve any deal. McDyess may be seeking a buyout of the remainder of his contract (two years, $13.6 million)."

Looks like a little hitch in their giddy up
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/1 1/03/nuggets.pistons.trade.ap/ index.html

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2751
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the key players in the trade remain Pistons guard Chauncey Billups and top reserve Antonio McDyess for Denver's Allen Iverson, McDyess' reluctance to be included in the deal may be resolved.

According to the Denver Post, the Nuggets plan to buy out the remainder of McDyess' contract. That would allow him to become a free agent, and presumably re-sign with Detroit for the veteran's minimum.

Updated story

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10469
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now it is being said that the deal could be in jeopardy because McDyess might retire next year.....What a soap opera this city is.

Raptor56

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh and for good measure, let's talk about practice :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FUYjD7A75HQ

Kenp

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do we have to lose. I dont care for Iverson but it may be a good change for us. We lose that tough defender, but we gain a penetrating scoring guard. We tend to come up short in the playoffs when we get in an set offensive funk. I'm not sure how Rip and Iverson will play together, though Stuckey and Iverson may work.
If it all falls apart we lose Iverson and Sheed next year and will still have a good group of players and a ton of cap space.
I wish Billups the best, MVP of our lone title in this era.

(Message edited by kenp on November 03, 2008)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those who keep alluding to AI's "selfishness", let me point out that he has averaged 6.3 assists per game for his career as compared to Chauncey's 5.5 apg. Iverson is also a better rebounder than Chauncey; 3.8 rpg vs. 2.9 rpg for Chauncey. Furthermore, he's a much better defender than he is usually given credit for.

I think Iverson will fit in fine here.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets roll!!!
Its about money...We shed 33 million off the books for next season...I hope Lebron likes the D.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, the deal is allen iverson in exchange for Billups, Mcdyess, and Cheick Samb.

chauncey is one of the physically strongest point guards in the league. i think he's 33 yrs old. he's a great defender and one of the best shooters in the league. i love love LOVE chauncey. he's a hero to me. i was hoping he'd retire a piston, but i knew after last year's playoffs and the mistakes he made, that he wouldnt be here much longer. i just hoped we'd get someone with an equal amount of courageous leadership and clutch playmaking.

allen iverson is past his prime. he's not the same explosive scorer he was four years ago. sure he hustles in games, but he doesnt play much defense. he doesnt work hard other than scoring in games. he doesnt beleive in "practice" whereas chauncey took pride in mentoring rodney stuckey and other youngsters during team practices, and game timeouts. i'll be honest. i cannot stand iverson. i don't like his game. i don't like his attitude. i think he's selfish, and he's horrible in the locker room. way overrated. if this deal is real, i hope we let him go next year ASAP.

i think the only real benefit to this deal is that Joe D gets rid of chauncey's contract, and has AI for a year before his contract expires next summer. that gets us ready to pursue one or two big time free agents next year, or in 2010 when lebron, D wade, and chris bosh are free agents.

i sure hope its true that Mcdyess gets bought out by denver and returns to detroit. i wish we could keep all of them. and i love cheick samb's game. he's like manute bol, and he has a sweet J. thats sad that he's gone.

check out my favorite blog www.detroitbadboys.com for the very latest facts on everything pistons and this trade in particular.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the trade for what it is - all about cap space. Joe knew he didn't want the Pistons to sink like the Celtics, Lakers and Bulls have done in recent years so you must clear space by trading players while they still have value, which is what he has done. At the same time, they have essentially the same chance of winning this year as before the trade.
Stuckey seems grounded enough to know it's his team in a year or two and we can thank Chauncey for mentoring him.
I don't envy Curry, a rookie coach with Sheed and Iverson to contend with in practice. Iverson has matured in the last few years though. Hopefully we won't be walking the ball up the court and going into the sleepy half court sets as much.
Looking forward to going to the game here in Toronto Wed. night and seeing how they look.

Raptor56

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we can take one unanimous solace in this whole trade it's now we don't have to get all pissed off and shout at the TV every time the refs foul whoever comes within 2 feet of touching Iverson!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If we can take one unanimous solace in this whole trade it's now we don't have to get all pissed off and shout at the TV every time the refs foul whoever comes within 2 feet of touching Iverson!

At the same time we're gonna have to see him flop on the ground after every drive, swearing that he was pushed.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing I like about this trade is that it creates some excitement. This team had gotten as stale as a 9 month old bagel.

They needed to shake up the complacency on this team and this trade certainly does that. AI brings it every night.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 749
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOLD YOUR BREATHE!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/ne ws;_ylt=AhOw65B.edt9y.7k6Kl9T_68 vLYF?slug=aw-dumarslebron11030 8&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

<313>

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

<313>

401don

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James, Bosh, there's a lot of primo talent available end of 2010. The real wildcard in the James sweepstakes might be a guy named Gilbert (and I don't mean Arenas)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't he the basketball player who keeps getting in the soup? Oh....wait....they all do.......

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate Chauncey as much as the next guy, but don't let your man love get in the way of reality. Chauncey is not now, and never was a solid defender, his perimeter defense or lack of defense cost the Pistons the Celtics series, Rondo owned him. Don't know what Iverson will bring to the table on defense, but I do know he will put pressure on the other teams defense,

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5139
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the great games Chauncey and Dyess! I hope the best for you both.

This is directly the result of the up and coming young players on the Pistons who are really coming on... Maxiel, Amir, Stuckey, Afflalo. They will have more time.

Regarding Iverson's higher assist and rebounding stats, one should remember that Iverson played every minute of most games. He is an amazing athlete. I wonder if he holds some record for minutes per game.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Dyess will be back...

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2697
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost had a heart attack from the excitement from reading that article, lets hope Joe D pulls off a deal like that.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9195
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe D during the AI presser had the class and dignity to send his love to Chauncey & McDyess for their efforts the last few years.

Nice touch.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to see Billups go. Arguably, Billups and Hamilton were the best backcourt in NBA history. Joe D. is a smart man, and either way I will live and die with the Pistons each week throughout the season. I have my fingers crossed that McDyess gets back.

Erob

Smogboy

Post Number: 9225
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to AP...

"Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb were acquired from Detroit in exchange for Allen Iverson earlier in the week.

However, McDyess’ days in Denver are done.

His agent, Andy Miller, said the two sides have reached an agreement in which the forward will be bought out of his contract."

We might be getting McDyess back!

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyess has been waived by Denver

(Message edited by Lostlegumes on November 10, 2008)

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDyess must wait 30 days. However, he may not choose to sign with the pistons. Other teams are interested in signing him, mainly the Cavs and the Celts. Antonios's days are numbered and he wants a championship before retiring. the possibility is, he may sign with Boston.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am convinced that AI will never work here. Its not about him being selfish either. Its just that his game will not mesh with his teammates.

AI is a under 6 feet tall ball handling shooting guard who doesn't play good defense.

RIP is a non-ball handling,non shot creating shooting guard.

AI has not been or will ever be a point guard.

RIP will be frustated simply because his game depends on him using screens and movement to get free to shoot his accurate jumper. He cannot use the dribble to create his own shot.

AI depends on the dribble to create his own shot.

All of that equals bad chemistry.

If your going to play AI big minutes you must have a point guard for him to play off of.

Larry Brown knew that, and he had Eric Snow who is taller than AI as the point guard.

Moving forward if you keep AI then RIP must go. I don't think the Pistons are going to do that so I believe AI will be gone after this year and the Pistons will use the cap relief that he will provide to pick up a good FA big man and Stuck will be the point guard.

401don

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been able to see any games on t.v. lately where I live, but clearly the Pistons have problems. They're losing both high and low scoring games. I'm coming to see the big clash against the Oklahoma City Thunder this week - no longer a guaranteed win I'm afraid.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 758
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allen Iverson and posse pulled up to the card table in Shakopee

http://www.startribune.com/lif estyle/38700727.html?elr=KArks LckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aP c:_Yyc:aUUsI

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to be proved wrong but Iverson never impressed me as winner. A scorer, yes. A player capable of great moments, not doubt. And I like him for proving a little guy can succeed in a big man's world. But a franchise player, no. He has clearly lost step with advancing years and everyone knows his moves.

One only has to look a the directions of the Pistons and Denver to see who got the better of the deal. Chauncey is more durable because of his size and shooting touch crowned by his free throw percentage. I would far rather have him at crunch time.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Lowell, but I think Chauncey's biggest asset is his leadership, and game management. The Pistons have pretty much been rudderless this season.
I will miss the drama of the playoffs this spring.
It's amazing how a long playoff run unites a community! April in the D will not be the same this year, but lets hope the ship gets back on course soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.