Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » GO SPARTANS! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THRILLING 25-24 Victory Over Wisconsin!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 836
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really was an incredible game. It was an ugly win, but Hoyer showed his metal today! Very proud of him.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7883
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN!

Spartans need two wins and two losses from Penn State to get the Rose Bowl Game.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 840
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

All MSU has to do is win two games to go to the Rose Bowl. We want Penn State to win its other games though. Here is the tiebreaker scenario.

Assumptions:
-Ohio State finishes out the year 10-2 (7-1 in the Big Ten) by beating Northwestern, Illinois, and Michigan

-Penn State Beats Iowa and Indiana and loses to Michigan State, finishing 11-1 (7-1 in the Big Ten)

-MSU defeats Purdue and Penn State to finish 10-2 (7-1 in the Big Ten)

When determining the Big Ten champion (and who goes to the Rose Bowl) it is the conference record, not the overall record that matters. This means that even though Penn State will have one more win overall, MSU, PSU, and OSU will be co-Big Ten champions due to their identical 7-1 records.

This initiates the tiebreaker rules. The first tiebreaker is head to head record. In this outcome, Penn State will have beat OSU and lost to MSU for a 1-1 record, OSU will have beat MSU and lost to PSU for a 1-1 record, and MSU will have lost to OSU and beat PSU for a 1-1 record. Since all three teams went 1-1 in head to head competition against the other teams, they move on to the next tiebreaker.

The next tiebreaker involves how many Div I-AA (I refuse to call them by their new name) schools each team has played this year. Penn State played Coastal Carolina and Ohio State played Youngstown State. Michigan State did not play a Div I-AA team this year. Therefore they would win the tiebreaker and MSU goes to the Rose Bowl.

This scenario does NOT happen if Penn State loses to Iowa or Indiana. If they lose, even if we beat them, we would need Ohio State to lose a game because if only two teams finish tied at the top, MSU loses that first tiebreaker to Ohio State because of Ohio State beating them two weeks ago.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm. What about Purdue?
MSU has had a nice season, nothing fancy but solid. Watching the line get beat up pretty good Saturday I wouldnt be thinking about SC quite yet.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean what about purdue? I mentioned them in my post.

As far as our lines getting beat up, you are absolutely right. I was a bit upset about the play of our offensive line. I thought they would move the ball better on the ground (although apparently Ringer had lost 12 pounds since the Michigan game while he was battling the flu and he was not 100%). On the defensive front, the simple fact of the matter is we were going up against a line that weighed 320 lbs on average and was finally playing its full starting line for the first time in over a month.

MSU, for as good of a season as it is having, is still a team in transition. MD has raised the level of toughness and physicality that we can out muscle the finesse teams in the conference (Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, etc), but we haven't developed ourselves to out physical the "power" teams in the conference yet like Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. We are trying to model ourselves after them in terms of style of play, but we haven't got there yet and that's why we struggle against them.

In the next few years as the big, strong, talented linemen on both sides of the ball mature physically and get coached up mentally, expect MSU to be able to start matching the toughness seen in the Hawkeyes, Badgers, and Buckeyes.

Kenp

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm saying is screw the bowl, the ranking and the forward thinking. Focus on the game at hand. I have seen it to many times, you cant lose focus on things you cant control. You win the next game and then you can think about whomever it is you play the following week.

Kenp

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm saying is screw the bowl, the ranking and the forward thinking. Focus on the game at hand. I have seen it to many times, you cant lose focus on things you cant control. You win the next game and then you can think about whomever it is you play the following week.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of looking to future, I wouldn't be surprised if MSU was a better team next year overall but ended up with a slightly worse record due to key losses (VERY hard to replace a 5th year senior at QB and a senior at running back like Hoyer and Ringer. That being said, I seem MSU having a solid chance of going 9-3 possibly 10-2 (it will be interesting to see how Penn State reacts to losing 16 starters to graduation)

However, it is my belief, that the year to pencil in as the year to watch out for MSU is 2010. That is when Dantonio's first recruiting class will be seniors or redshirt juniors. Right now, MSU has 8 sophomore or younger players in their starting lineup and a LOT more getting significant minutes. Those guys will have two more years of training and coaching by 2010 and if they are good enough to see the field now, they will be that much better come 2010. Here is my projected starting lineup for 2010.

Offense:

QB: Keith Nichol or Kirk Cousins- Whichever one it is will be in his second year as the starter. Nichol has the physical tools, but Cousins is a smart guy who will have been in the program for 4 years instead of Nichol's three. Both of them will be entering their redshirt junior seasons.

RB: Edwin Baker, Larry Caper, or Glenn Winston- I could have added Ashton Leggett and Andre Anderson to the mix as well. The RB spot behind Ringer is so up in the air because he has taken so many carries. Whoever wins the starting job next year will definitely help determine who gets it.Winston, Leggett, and Anderson have all got carries this year, but who knows if it will be enough to hold off the talented Baker and Caper who will be freshman on campus at the start of the 2009 year.

WR: Mark Dell, BJ Cunningham, Keyshawn Martin- Dell will be a senior while BJ and Key will be juniors. By this time, their route running, and hands will be greatly improved and they should be the leaders of one of the better receiving corps in the Big Ten.

TE: Charlie Gantt and Garrett Celek- Gantt will be a senior and Celek will be a junior. As this season has progressed, Gantt has proved to be a reliable weapon down the seam. Celek's older brother played for Dantonio at Cincy and is now playing on Sundays for the Eagles. He has the pedigree and has looked good in limited time this season.

Offensive line: Joel Foreman, Jared McGaha, David Barrent, ?, ?- Joel Foreman, the tough redshirt freshman starting this season, will be a third year starting junior at the left guard spot in 2010. McGaha, another current redshirt freshman, has shown solid potential and will likely be a 2nd year starting tackle or guard by 2010. After that, it remains up in the air. Ruhland, Woods, Mcdonald, Hueter, and Deyo will be trying to hold off 4 star 2009 center recruit Nate Klatt and 4 star 2009 tackle recruit David Barrent. The offensive line will be the biggest question mark for the offense going into that season. Of course, since we are projected two seasons out, a lot of those questions will likely be answered.

Defense:

DE: Tyler Hoover and Ish Johnson- Big, fast, and powerful, these two giant DEs will cause havoc off the edges as Hoover goes 6'7" 270 and Johnson goes 6'5" 275. Hoover will be a 3rd year sophomore and Johnson will be a senior. Experience added to that physical ability will be impressive.

DT: Oren Wilson and Antonio Jeremiah- More beef for the carnivore fan. Wilson is a sizable, 290 lbs and Jeremiah clogs the middle at a hefty 320 lbs. These guys will be seniors in 2010, more experience for a BIG defensive front.

LB: David Rolf, Greg Jones, Eric Gordon- Jones and Gordon, will be seniors. Look for Jones to be an All-American candidate and possibly a pre-season Butkus nominee. Rolf has looked good behind Decker so far and he will need to stat good in order to hold back the talented, Chris Norman.

Secondary: Chris L. Rucker, Johnny Adams, Marcus Hyde, and Brynden Trawick. Rucker and Adams are proving to be two outstanding cover corners and sure tacklers in the run game. Hyde has shown this year he can be an impact player on defense from the safety spot and the 6'3" 225 lbs Trawick is like having another linebacker at the safety position. Rucker, and Hyde will be seniors while Adams will be a junior. Another position with a lot of experience.

All in all, the offense could be potent, but the defense, with all its talent and experience will likely be one of the better defensive units in the Big Ten. Mark my words. YOu haven't seen anything out of MSU yet.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...Jim...I'm excited for the next few year...Not that I needed much...

I like gordon...he's a hell of a backer...Dantonio is recruiting the piss outta the Midwest...

Wow...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU is becoming setup to be successful for years to come. Projecting even farther, that 2011 team should have a good offense, but trying to replace 7 starters on defense will be a challenge. No doubt about it though, Dantonio and his staff are having all kinds of success recruiting in the midwest. Nothing wrong with building your team around talent from Michigan and Ohio.

Also, the best thing that can happen is all these extra bowl practices. The more practices these young guys get in now, the better they will be come next season, 2010, and beyond.

Kenp

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5th year QB's and All American RB's help a lot and wont return. The key to MSU, I beleive, will be how good is Cousins and Nichols. The long term should be solid. Dantonio is focusing on O lineman and RB's.
Cousins game against OSU reminded me of Elvis Grbac's first game at UM against ND. Came in for a injured QB and passed for something like 16-21.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nichol has all the skill in the world. A legit dual-threat guy. Fast, mobile, big-armed.

Cousins is not as fast, but not totally immobile. Fairly strong arm. Similar in many ways to Hoyer in that he's not overly fast, and he doesn't have a cannon arm, but he's just enough of each to be good and is an excellent student of the game. Meaning he earns his W's in the film room in preparation.

If you go just by physical ability, Nichol wins the job hands down. the X-factor in all of this is does he have enough grasp of the offense in order to execute it. Nichol has shown that what he lacks in physical ability he has made up for in learning and knowledge. Personally, I would like Nichol to win because he is the most dangerous individually, but MSU can't go wrong either way.

As far as Dantonio focusing on O linemen and RBs I would disagree. Dantonio has been attempting to bring balance to the offense. Yes, MD is bringing in 4 star RBs Baker and Caper, and 4 star linemen Klatt and Barrent, but also don't forget that he's also bringing in a 4 star QB in Maxwell and a 4 star receiver in Spencer. Also, in previous classes he's also brought in 4 star receivers Mark Dell and Fred Smith. Lastly Nichol was a 4 star QB committed to MSU, who got lured to Oklahoma when JLS was fired and then came back to MSU.

So while Dantonio's philosophy is run the ball on offense and stop the run on defense, that doesn't mean that MSU doesn't have the talent to open it up when they need to either.

Kenp

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you know better then me, but when I see the quality of the O-line he has got coming I would say its a main focus.
I was watching Cin play last week. They were talking about how Coach Kelly didnt like the Dantonio type O-lineman, that he wanted guys who could run. Its funny how differant coaches like differant types of players.
To me I think Dantonio prefers a Cousins more then a Nichol.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're going to be a passing oriented offense next year...Woot...

All receivers...good line...and a capable QB coming in...

Hard to believe state is starting to sit on a solid foundation...

Gasp...maybe even a culture of winning will develop...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 846
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,

We may have a lot of talent at WR, but we will NOT be a pass oriented team as long as Dantonio has anything to say about it. ESPECIALLY with a first year QB. Will we be a team where the starting RB averages 35 carries a game? probably not. However, MSU WILL run the football at least 55% of the time next season.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was simply going off of what we have in terms of weapons..not play calling

White, Cunningham, Dell, Gantt, Martin...

All returning...I don't care...that's freaking scary...

Kenp

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a fan of Fred Smith in HS, how is he doing. I heard his name during the UM game so he must be playing some.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's getting in a bit on special teams, but so far he's been buried a bit in the depth chart. The emergence of Blair White has closed a spot some people thought he might fill. Also, it would seem that he's not grasping things in the offense as fast as some might have hoped since true freshman Keyshawn Martin and redshirt freshman Chris D. Rucker have been seeing reps ahead of him.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 849
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright. MSU is now ensured a new year's day bowl! Best case, Rose Bowl, worst case, Outback Bowl.

Kenp

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately this is where the reality of the MSU season surfaces. MSU is a average team with a perfect schedule. The only 2 good teams on the schedule beat MSU easily. I suspect a good beat down by PSU and A embarrasing New Years day lose. Lets face it the Big Ten is awful.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't just assume a beatdown by PSU. Remember, we beat them last season and we beat the same Iowa team that just beat them. We will be a LOT healthier coming off of a by week after being the only Div I team to play all 11 weeks of the season. I think it will be a far more competitive game than people think.

Perhaps this year's Michigan State team is a bit of an overachiever. However, I'd rather overachieve with limited talent (Michigan State) than underachieve with great talent (Michigan). At this point, it's all gravy. Most people pegged MSU as only being a 6 or 7 game winner going into the season (I figured 9 wins), so even if MSU loses the next two games, MSU surpassed the expectations of the majority of the experts and can hold their heads high with a successful season.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically...

MSU is sitting at first place in the big ten...until saturday at least!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember, we beat them last season and we beat the same Iowa team that just beat them.

And haven't won in Happy Valley since LBJ.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been A year for first time since. We hadn't won in the Big Outhouse since the first Bush was in office either. Don't count us out just yet.

Kenp

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its gonna be tough, but with 2 weeks to prepare who knows. I expect PSU to rebound from Iowa but again they may be vulnerable.
Thats why they play the games.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the biggest thing about the week off is not so much the preparation. I think that is overrated. You could see it in the last few games, MSU was simply a worn out team that was playing on adrenaline alone. It is TOUGH to play 11 weeks in a row. Every little bump and bruise adds up and the coaches were cobbling together rosters out of thin air with second string guys in a lot of positions.

MSU should be mostly healthy for Penn State and I think that will make a big difference.

Kenp

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With this being the last game, it means you can put all your eggs in the PSU basket. I think it does make a differance, this is for the Big Ten Championship.
Getting healthy is a good observation. In the past MSU started good but tends to fade in Oct & Nov. The reason is Depth I assume. 2 weeks has to help out.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken,

You are right. Depth has been a BIG issue with MSU. MSU's starters always were competitive with the rest of the big ten, including Michigan. The problem was two-fold.

1 MSU didn't have the depth to sustain the injuries that occur through the course of a season

2 they could stay disciplined.

Under Dantonio, that has changed. MSU doesn't beat themselves with poor decisions and they have guys who can step in at just about every position and be productive.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so much for Mighty Penn State making it easy for MSU to win the championship outright. PSU losing to Iowa means the Spartans need to beat Penn St and need Ohio St to lose at least one of their last 2 games. Illinois beat them last year but just got beat by Western Mich. Then there's the Wolveriens...

Danny

Post Number: 7934
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN GO SPARTANS!

Javon Ringer + Heisman Trophy = Winner

El_jimbo

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, Ringer is NOT winning the Heisman.

Danny

Post Number: 7941
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,

Ringer is getting that Heisman Trophy someday.

Danny

Post Number: 7942
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is it according the Big Ten Network Stats:

In order for the Spartans to go the ROSE BOWL, THE MUST defeat Penn State and Wolverines MUST beat Ohio State.

Help us out Blue and Gold.

(Message edited by danny on November 17, 2008)

El_jimbo

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does "If the Wolverines lose and Spartans win then probably next week, The Spartans MUST defeat Ohio State from the ROSE BOWL" mean?

This week is the end of the season. It's a simple tiebreaker situation. If MSU wins and OSU loses, MSU goes to the Rose Bowl.

If MSU loses and OSU wins, MSU is either going to the Capital One Bowl in Orlando or the Outback Bowl in Tampa

If MSU loses and OSU loses, MSU is going to the Outback Bowl in Tampa.

If MSU wins and OSU wins, then MSU goes to the Capital One Bowl if Oregon State wins their remaining two games, or could end up with an at-large BCS bid with an Oregon State loss.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 873
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch. We got our butts handed to us today. Just goes to show you that we aren't there yet. However, in spite of today's game, there is a lot to be excited about. In two year's time we've gone from an embarrassing team that struggled against and often lost to teams less talented than us and now we are beating the teams we are supposed to beat. In fact, if you use Vegas as the standard to measure that, we won EVERY game that Vegas favored us and lost every time we were a Vegas underdog.

Its easy to see that there is a clear difference in the quality of players we have compared to the two premiere teams in the Big Ten this year Ohio State and Penn State (we also have inferior talent to Michigan at this point, theirs was just poorly used by an incompetent staff). In time, hopefully we will be able to catch up.

All in all, we are going bowling again and that's big, we are improving and in time we will get better and better. I have seen the future and it is green.

Danny

Post Number: 7972
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PENN STATE sucks..

El_jimbo

Post Number: 876
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, Danny, they are VERY good. I will be curious to see how they will be down the road as they lose 16 starters from this year's team to graduation.

Kenp

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Predictions on a bowl game.
Iowa better not steal MSU's game.
MSU against the 3rd place SEC team, and I assume its Georgia in the Outback bowl.
(and then pray)

D_mcc

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...I think OSU will get the at-large bid after Boise State or Utah loses...

Either way...Orlando or Tampa...right down the street from me

El_jimbo

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georgia would be a tough matchup.

As far as the OSU thing, Utah doesn't play another game and they are undefeated. They will get an at-large bid. Boise State is irrelevant. Oregon State is the one that matters. If Oregon State wins out they go to the Rose Bowl and USC gets the last at-large bid. Simple as that. There is no way the BCS picks OSU over USC. If Oregon State loses, Ohio State gets a BCS bid and MSU goes to the Capital One Bowl.

Kenp

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I understand, most likely MSU avoids Georgia and plays the 4th place SEC team. MISS, LSU, SC? I wouldnt want LSU, their front four might kill Hoyer. Miss is good to. I would hope for SC.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SC is the most ideal option to me.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU is Citrus Bowl bound to take on the Bulldogs of Georgia. Should be a good game pitting two of the three finalists for the Doak Walker Trophy against each other. Go green!

Danny

Post Number: 8015
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wolverines football team is going to sit at home watching the Spartans take on the Georgia bulldogs. At the Capital One Bowl.

Go Green GO SPARTANS.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there. It's right down the street from me

Kenp

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent outcome for MSU. Now they have to perform. You never know what GA team will show up, they are talented but under achievers.
On paper this is a miss match, but thats why they play the games.
Go Big Ten!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU will and should be an underdog in this matchup as Georgia's offense is explosive and dynamic. However, their defense is VERY average and they gave up a TON of yards on the ground to Georgia Tech in their last game. Ringer, with fresh legs, could have a big day.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a U of M grad I'll be rooting for the Spartans. I would love to see the Big 10 stick it to the SEC.

JR will have a great day if the MSU defenese steps up and keeps UGA's offense off the field.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And....Dantonio Signs a revised contract!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright. MSU with another big commitment. Local star Dion Sims committed to MSU last night and will play football and possibly basketball for the Spartans.

This is a BIG commit for MSU on many levels. One, he's an outstanding athlete who could develop into a very dangerous weapon at TE (although he's athletic enough to morph into a combo TE/WR position as well). Also, he's from Orchard Lake St. Mary HS. Traditionally that has been a pipeline of talent that went straight to Ann Arbor. However, with the new staffs in place at both schools, MSU was able to break that pipeline to get one of the best players in the state.

More good news for the boys in green and white.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great day for MSU. No drama. 23 commits coming into the day and the same 23 commits faxing letters of intent. LOTS of talent on this team but the best thing about it is that there are no holes. Fantastic balance.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
2 TE
4 OL
2 DE
2 DT
3 LB
2 S
2 CB
1 K

Great day to be green!

Kenp

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats to MSU for a good class. Best in years!
according to scout.com Ranked 35th nationally.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scouts ranks are a load of bull. Sam Webb is a Michigan homer and he pretty much controls how the rankings go. MSU never gets a fair shake on scouts. MSU's class is ranked 14th in the nation on Rivals.

Kenp

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotcha

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Scouts ranks are a load of bull. Sam Webb is a Michigan homer and he pretty much controls how the rankings go.

Michigan's clas is rated higer on Rivals(7) than on Scout(11), though. If Scout was controlled by M homers, wouldn't our class be rated higher?

Kenp

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimbo has MSU rated #1

El_jimbo

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp and Glowblue,

1. No, MSU is not rated #1, not even close.

2. Webb controls rankings for players in Michigan. Michigan didn't take a lot of instate players so he could not have much of an effect on UofM's ranking. MSU took a LOT of players from the state of Michigan and he drastically undervalued them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.