Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Deeeetroit Basketball...Starts Tonight! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NBA is off and running and it looks like the people that follow the game believe that it is Lebron James time to shine. Of course, they have to get beyond the defending Champions Boston Celtics(Who is my fav' to repeat)

I personally think the NBA is at an all time high in terms of talent and character players, since the 'Showtime Lakers', 'Bad-boy Pistons', 'Jordon rule Bulls', 'Phi Slama Jama Rockets' and of course the 'Larry Bird Celtics'!

The Pistons will play a key spoiler this season. I'm not sure if they have enough talent extended to the bench to overcome the talent of the Boston Celtics. The defense will play a key role in determining how far the Pistons will go. I'm not sure if they have enough 'stoppage' on the bench to sustain a long season and a long playoff run. Joe D must make a mid-season move to obtain a #2 scorer or defender in order to take the Pistons beyond Boston/or Cleveland.

My prediction of the Pistons is 47-34, losing to Cleveland in the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs. The defense will be exposed late in the season due to attrition. Unfortunately they don't have enough offense to make up for the late season defensive wearing.

I am totally excited about this season! Lebron, Kobe, Artest in Houston with a healthy Yao Ming, and Tmac will be exciting.

Teams to watch out for...Philadelphia(added Elton Brand), Toronto(added Jermaine O'Neil), Portland(hopefully a healthy Greg Odom), New Orleans(possible MVP in Chris Paul), and don't slip on Charlotte(adding coach Larry Brown).

Here is my top 5 picks from each Conference...

In the East.....

1.Boston
2.Cleveland
3.Detroit (need 1 more piece)
4.Philadelphia
5.Orlando

Boston repeating the East Championship

In the West...

1.Houston
2.San Antonio
3.Los Angelas
4.Dallas
5.New Orleans

Houston winning the West Conference.

What is your take on the Piston and the NBA season?

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 835
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with your analysis Blksoul. I like the idea of starting Amir Johnson. They need a young guy mixed in as a starter who can play 20-25 minutes and let Dyss come off the bench for scoring. The Pistons have been very lucky in avoiding injuries to the 5 veterans the past few years.
I tend to think that the no. of wins in the regular season will have much more to do with the bench continuing to develop than with how the starters perform.
This team still reminds me of the Bad Boys in a lot of ways-it will go as far as their defence and 3 guards will take them.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it just WOW or did FSN forget how to broadcast?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5984
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the bench is deeper than you give it credit for. Look for explosiveness by the name of Walter Herrmann....

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FABIO!...16 points and 7 rebounds, including a big shot to ice the game, not bad! Maybe he is the new 'Big-Shot'..'Big Shot' Fabio that is!

However, the book will soon be out on him...for example, he moves weak to the left side, he can't move off the dribble, and he is not a great passer! Those are a few issues other teams will expose. I want to see him in a month or so doing the same thing. If so, then Joe D will be excused from making perhaps the worst #1 draft pick ever in the history of sports by choosing Darko. Walter Herman thus far as been a pleasant surprise, and if he continues to play on a high skill level as he did Saturday night, then the Pistons will be even tougher than last year and perhaps the favorites to win the EAST.

I was skeptical about the Pistons bench, however so far, with the surprise play of Walter Herrman, they have proved me wrong. I still believe the Pistons are one true big man away from being a very dominate team. Kwame Brown and the Kid Amir Johnson is not the answer.

Perhaps with Walter Herrman playing well and if he continues to play well, in the event that the Pistons would go out and get a big dominate player in the middle, perhaps Tayshaun's days may be coming to an end. Remember Tayshaun's name during the summer came up many times. Then too, perhaps Walter Herrman's play would initiate some trade rumor's?

Bottom line, the Pistons are sitting in a pretty good position for the now or in a rebuild course with the players on their roster. As the Pistons age, they have some great veteran 'trade bait', Rasheed, Mcdyes, Walter Herman, Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton are all players that would make up & coming teams better in trade for their higher draft picks etc.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first glance at this thread.
The opening post was well done, I dont agree 100%, but well written.
I am curious how Cleveland does this year and If Boston still has the same desire.
With the recent trade I now am very curious to our chances.

Kenp

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game last night, we played well and every player scored. Maxiel Looks very good and I think we have a nice group of players.
Bynum looked solid at the point. Iverson should play against Toronto, Im looking forward to the game.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'Answer' is debuting tonight. So far so good 3 or 3 for 7 points in the first 7 minutes!

I'm looking at this game with nervous excitement!
I can't wait until he really fit in the with Pistons!

This is going to be fun!

blksoul_atcha!
Paint the whitehouse Black o8'

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End of the third quarter, and it doesn't look like the Pistons agree on an offensive philosophy. I'm hoping they'll get it together in the upcoming games though.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He looked good in the first...As the game wore on he does not appear to "get it"...Shoots way too much.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said it before, and I'll say it for the last time right now ... Iverson will create way too much confusion for the Pistons offense. He doesn't really play in a way that the Offense can set any type of pace. Talented yes, will score many points yes, but sure if he can help this team.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9222
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's going to behoove the coaching staff to come up with schemes and plays where Iverson can best utilize his skills along with those of his team mates. If given those parameters I think he can fit in, play well and not cause confusion. The team dynamic has changed with the addition of AI now- he's not Chauncey Billups. Anytime you add a talented guy like Iverson, things are going to change- all the way from defensive schemes to size match-ups and rotations.

It's a different Pistons team than the one we grew accustomed to for the last few years now. And even as fans, it's going to take some time for us to adjust as well.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that the focus last night was on Allen Iverson and that Piston Fans would focus their criticism on Iverson . However this lost had nothing to do with AI shooting the ball to much etc.

The Pistons played very very soft in the interior area on defense, as they have the first 4 games. Kwame Brown is a terrible big man. I'm not sure he will be with the team once Mcdyees returns to the team.

As far as AI last night, he constantly drove to the basket from the outside to on the base line causing the defense team to break down their cover on Tayshaun and Rip. Tayshaun and Rip had wide open opportunities time after time. I didn't like the fact that the two took way to many three point shots. However, I can see how easy shots will open up when AI has the ball.

Also the Pistons bench looked out of whack and tired. Stuckey forced to many shots and got burned time after time on defense. It was obvious that the Nets had fresher legs.

Like 'Smogboy' hinted on, this team will be something special once the chemistry affect takes place. I'm positive that Joe Dumars will make sure of that. Watching Iverson laughing and high five'n on the bench was a positive sign toward the chemistry makeup of what Piston Basketball is about.

One more note, Micheal Curry seems to be to relaxed at times with the team. I'm not sure if I'm reading to much into his calm demeanor, but at times he appears to be lost.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama 08

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allen Iverson last night showed how important he can be for this team. Last night A.I. did not hold back.

While Rip and Sheed were virtually offensive 'no-shows' (a combined 7 for 24 shooting), A.I. answered with big shot after big shot, with timely assist to Tayshaun and Maxiell.

However on defense, all of my fears came to life last night about the Pistons weak interior play. I witnessed lay-up after lay-up, by the likes of Mikki Moore and backup Center Spenser Hawes! The Kings often got what they wanted on the O boards and D boards. Rasheed did his best to hold the Kings off late in the fourth Quarter, however Kwame Brown and Amir Johnson played like 'softies' all night long.

Dice will be back in December, and should help out a bit on the boards, however for the Pistons to continue deep into the East Playoff run, Joe D will have go out and find a QUALITY shot blocker.

I thought I never say it, but if only we had Big Ben back, he has been missed for 3 years around here!

On a side note positive; Will Bynum is making it hard for Stuckey on this team. He has played great as the back-up guard. I would like to see Curry give him more time in the upcoming games.

blksoul_atcha!
paint the white house black 08'

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that Dice will sign with either the:

Lakers
Celtics
Cavs

He wants a championship and those teams are after him. I think he will go to either the Lakers or Celts, because they have a better shot of winning the championship, than the pistons.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A.I. vs. LeBron! Tonight!

This game takes on a whole new meaning now that we (The Pistons) have our own 'superstar'.

Even though the Pistons are not complete until the return of McDyes...this will still be a critical game toward the future of this rivalry. I am expecting a physical and emotional game. I can't wait!

blksoul_atcha!
Paint the white house Black o8'

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great 'statement' win for the Pistons last night. For the second time in a week the Pistons have taken down a so-called 'contender'. I understand it is a regular season game, however these are the type of match-ups that builds confidence and swagger that is needed for the playoff season.

I think Iverson has made this team better in terms of defending the Pistons. Unlike Chauncey, who was great at setting up individual players in a set offense (which sometimes slowed the play of the game), Iverson forces a faster half court offense by penetrating toward the basket. That allow teams to converge in the paint, leaving Rip, and Sheed free of a defender, and wide open looks.

I truly think that if the Pistons can get another quality 'Big' shot blocker, we will see something very special with this current unit of the Pistons.

Another statement game at the Boston Garden is due up next. I think we will see why Boston is still a bit better than the Pistons, because they are stronger and bigger in the Middle.

Boston is a team that matches up well against the Pistons. We need a quality 'big' to match up with their physical interior.

blksoul_atcha!

Tetsua

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't think the Pistons look like a well oiled machine anymore. They look more like a helicopter trying to land with pieces of the propeller broken off. After watching the last few games with Iverson, it seems like he refuses to run plays. Instead he just kind of "wings it", and this can be confusing in a team game. The record will be 8 and 4 after the loss tonight to Boston, but I don't think this team will be all that great in the long run.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree Tetsua...

Its still early to really bring the hammer down on Iverson. However, i hate how its marketed as Iverson's team...This idea is contradictory to what made the pistons good in the past.

Also, I like Stuckey but last night he had 5 turnovers and went 0-2 from the field. That ain't good enough. Where has Maxi been?

This team will be avg. teams all year long but they wont be able to compete at a high enough level to advance to the finals.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9355
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antonio McDyess back with the Pistons on December 3rd.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081123/SPORTS03/81123031

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great News!

One has to wonder, with McDyess turning down at least 10 million in salary by not signing with Boston, Los Angelas or Cleveland, the Pistons must be planning another move to strengthen up their undermatched interior defense so that they can continue to compete for a Championship this year.

Why else would he turn down the money and turn down an opportunity to play for a obvious 'contender'.

I'm not saying the Pistons are not 'contenders', but we all have seen Boston and the Lakers, and the reality is, they are the teams to beat for the Championship.

I truly think Joe D has something else up his sleeves before the trade deadline.

Nevertheless, Way to go McDyess, you are a Piston for life in my book and a true Detroiter!

Black-atcha!

Kenp

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We really missed him, this is a big help.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.