Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Orbit magazine » Archive through September 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8760
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Orbit magazine that ran rival to the Metro Times? It was run by Jerry Peterson/ Vile and it seemed to have a much more fun flair to it than its harder journalistic competitor. They actually had fun informative articles and better listings as to events around town and supposedly parts of it were sold off to what's currently Real Detroit Weekly.

Anyone have any recollections of this weekly publication?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved ORBIT, Shoulda got me an Orby T-Shirt. still have a few stashed in moms basement.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8763
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And didn't Qunetin Tarantino sport an Orby t-shirt in some movie too?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pulp Fiction. You can see it in this scene (be forewarned that the language may offend):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =b_vbvRbBtUI

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forever immortalized in Pulp Fiction! Too bad no one but Detroiters will ever know the 'cool-stamp' that Quentin put on Orby in the kitchen with Keitel, Jackson & Travolta.

I have to dig around a bit, but I think I still have a few old issues of Orbit kicking around in a trunk somewhere. I moved away from Detroit in '95, and I actually had a subscription for awhile, having Orbits sent to me in NYC.

I made a point of saving one from the early 90's, just because of one of the St. Andrew's Hall concert listings --
In huge bold letters: "FAITH NO MORE", then in a tiny skinny font one line below: "with Kid Rock"

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orbit magazine started off with the name "Fun"; very appropriate as they made merciless fun of local gasbags like CAY and Bill Bonds.

Wonder whatever happened to Jerry Vile? I know the graphic designer behind Fun/Orbit became the main entrepreneur behind the "Made in Detroit" line of clothing (sold & worn around the world).

Smogboy

Post Number: 8764
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't quote me but isn't Vile still exhibiting some of his art around town? Someone told me he's actually got a piece down at CCS this weekend for the $50 Show. And isn't he still doing the Dirty Show every year?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orbit was the shit. I was so sad to see it go. I believe I may still have their last issue. I remember thinking it was a joke Orbit was playing, stating that they were issuing their last issue of Orbit. But it wasnt a joke.

I love a hard news rag, as much as I love a smart hometown humorous rag, what a shock when they really were gone.

Im not sure but I believe Vile is still around.

Fun and Orbit are truly missed, by me anyway.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last issue of Orbit had a naked Jimmy Doom laying on the bar at Gusoline Ally.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Vile One" is still around.
After starting/selling Real Detroit Magazine he is the publisher of the Guide to Detroit www.guidetodetroit.com
And he, along with a couple others, are responsible for the Dirty Show; which will be having it's 10 year show in February.
Remember Jerry Vile and the Boners?
Punk rock meets the Flying Nun.

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Orbit's Best Of Detroit listing, calling Sterling Heights and Livonia sister cities, and this winner?: Best Intersection to Translate War and Peace into Byelorussian? 15 Mile and Dequindre (don't quote me on the exact intersection, it's the category I remember) Consistently hilarious publication.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two articles that stick in my brain--

Their review of the "English Patient" was along the lines of 'Susan Stark said this was the best movie she ever saw without Tom Cruise. Therefore we decline to review this movie.'

An issue that reviewed various flea-bag motels around the metro area. The reviews were based on the cleanliness of the rooms, access to fresh sheets, and the friendliness of the other guests. Scary and funny stuff.

The lawsuit certainly was a drag on the publication.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 5 copies of the last issue. Mint, Full Color.

$10,000 A piece. They are collectors items. :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8679
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The last issue of Orbit had a naked Jimmy Doom laying on the bar at Gusoline Ally.

Yes... Good lord. After all the work to bury that memory, you have to make it resurface.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orbit was awesome. Someone needs to digitize all the old issues.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember Jerry Vile and the Boners?
Punk rock meets the Flying Nun.

Yep, they were always good for a laugh.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun Magazine was essentially run out after they published their interpretation of "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" where the balloon above a cracked-out Charlie Brown said "these rocks from Franklin's block are strange." Funniest shit I ever saw. Way funnier than Jimmy Doom in the centerfold, which was just gross.

Charles Schultz sued to crap out of him and Fun ceased to exist.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously? That was the downfall? I always wondered why the hell it went under. Loved that rag.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They would have had a field day with the KK stuff.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8766
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to the latest stuff in the Metro Times this week about Kwame, Orbit would've absolutely ran rough shod with it. And I'm sure that Fun Magazine would've absolutely pushed the limits of taste, tact and class on the idiocy that was Kwame.

Oh how we long for biting satirical political humor in this town! Heck, we barely have political cartoons anymore

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun was the first place I ever heard the term "Metro Slimes", and it's stuck with me ever since.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it was lot's of fun from a madman. Or, shall I say a mad staff. I have many back copies including the last ones. Gerry had a running feud with Dan from Showtime. It was hilarious. Here's Peterson at his 'Vile' best, capping on Dan and Showtime for not paying their bills. It was ongoing - a soap opera. Loved it. The humour in Orbie was the best. Sarcastic, facetious, tongue in cheek and straight out hee hawing. I loved his issue of the 'Little Ceasar Land', or something to that effect. That's a guess because I haven't looked at that copy for many years. It was a take on Mike Illitch and Little Ceasar's making an amusement park of downtown Detroit, surrounding it with a roller coaster.

Eastenglishvillage
Username: Eastenglishvillage

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Annual Orbit parties - what a blast! One had a MoonWalk in the middle of St. Andrews!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman, you need to read the last issue to figure out their demise and who didn't pay them for ads, etc. They ripped everyone who deserved it.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick up one of his Detroit guides if you get the chance. They're tame, advertiser-driven publications--but if you look closely, the anarchic humor is still there.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Orbit or Fun sponsor a contest to win a date with the "Double Trouble Twins", those black Amazons that beat up on the white suburban woman at the downtown Fireworks during the Coleman era?

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have my copy of the Orbit farewell issue.

Some funny stuff in there.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orbit went under in 1999 due to small advertisers lack of payment

http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_hb5251/is_/ai_n2012563 8

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garsh, being one of the co-founders of Fun and early editors of Orbit, I'm flattered it was remembered so fondly.

Yeah, I can't believe we managed to produce Fun
as long as we did (initially in an office of a machine shop in Livonia, later above a bump-shop in Royal Oak) on a regular basis considering every issue was teetering on the brink of disaster.

I look back at some of the stuff we published and feel lucky we were never picketed, fire bombed, etc, etc, since we essentially printed whatever we deemed amusing to ourselves and wouldn't totally offend our advertisers which were mostly clubs and salons.

Fun's genesis was from "White Noise", a true punk rock tabloid out of Detroit in the late 70's.

That was the beauty of that pre "net" era of actual paper and ink. You had to "work" a bit harder for your audience (production, ads, distribution, etc) but the end results, of a genuine publication that 20 years later you can still hold in your hands and enjoy was all worth it.

How many web "publications" (except this one of course) will be remembered as warmly?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor, both rags were truly enjoyed by me.

As I remember the last issue of Orbit seemed like a prank. I remember thinking it was a joke or prank that they said that was their last issue. I want to say it was on April 1st or something. Can you tell me why I remember thinking their farewell issue was just a joke. It wasnt till next week when I realized it was for real.

You all did a great Gonzo job.