Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Post-Season Baseball, 2008 Edition « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't watch last year's post-season games, because I was sore about the fact that the Tigers were not involved. (Little did I know that soreness would be soon replaced by bitterness, gloom, and a pervasive sense of hopelessness.)
The dullness of the Tigers' 2008 season prompted me to focus my appetite for baseball a bit more widely, and I kept up, pretty avidly, with the goings-on all throughout the majors. (Which is what I usually do, anyway; I just don't bring it up, here, because I don't know how much interest the rest of you have in it.)
I'm having fun keeping up with these playoffs. I didn't watch much of the first-round games, but the results were A-O.K. with me. (Fuck the Cubs; they like to cultivate, and embrace, that "lovable losers" thing so much, let 'em keep losing.)
I'm hoping that some of you are into these games. Also, I (as always) have my votes, and related opinions, on the various seasonal awards.
To start things off: I think Kevin Youkilis deserves consideration for the AL MVP award (which I would deliver to Justin Morneau,) but I have to admit that his goofy, hyper-kinetic batting stance irritates my ass. The bat-waggling, combined with his bouncing around as though he is trying to not "let one," the whole bit just grinds me. If I was the opposing pitcher, I would have to exert a special effort to control my urge to throw at him. There are strippers who don't move, that much, during their routines.
On a related note, a similar bat-waggling may be part of the reason for Gary Sheffield getting hit so often. (The other part is that he doesn't hesitate to stand in pretty close, when he feels so inclined. Also, he's a big-mouthed, arrogant prick, although I should be the last one to hold THAT against him.)
O.K.... Back to the NLCS game, for me. I will check back to see if any of you want to "chew the fat," with me, about this stuff.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting drawn into the Phillies/Dodgers series. Finally, me and pops agree that L.A. should take it home.

Ravine

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sorta want the Phillies to win, and I definitely want the Rays-- man oh man, they really are something, this season-- to win, but I think that any baseball lover would appreciate the appeal of the possible "Manny vs. the Red Sox" scenario.

Ggores

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dodger Blue, baby!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultimately, I am pulling for the Phillies as well. But if that doesn't pan out, I would like to see the Dodgers and Red Sox make it to the Fall Classic, with the Dodgers prevailing. It would be nice to see the "Nation" stuck with the sour taste of Man Ram getting another championship on a team other than the beloved BoSox.

(Message edited by knocturnal on October 13, 2008)

Ravine

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Ggores, we do not share that blood-type, but that's O.K.
So, I guess that Matt Stairs HR-- and, surely, that baseball must be anything but round, after the way he hit it-- really frosted your ass, huh?
What a move that turned out to be, for Charlie Manuel. That guy, Broxton, had not given up a HR all season-- or last season, either, for that matter.
But, I'm not smack-talking to ya. The Phillies are still a long way from home, in this series.
Cripes! Ryan Howard is The Man, and all, but what a clumsy bastard. I had been wondering how in the hell a 1Bman could have committed 19 Errors, but, on two occasions just tonight, he cleared that right up, for me.
Prince (not much of a) Fielder has the same problem.
Speaking of Prince, if he is a vegetarian now, as he had earlier stated, that young fella must be eating piles, and PILES, of vegetables.
Additional Side Note: I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but is it possible that, while Ryan Howard is, arguably, the MVP of the NL, Shane Victorino is the MVP of the Phillies?
"The Flyin' Hawaiian" is a Bad MFer.

Ggores

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"that baseball must be anything but round, after the way he hit it-- really frosted your ass, huh? "

Heh, my ass was frosting as I slept. I went to bed, all too assured of a Dodgers victory. Lots of good running, catching, and hitting on both sides, though.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have watched a little more playoffs this year. Last yr I was bummed out. In 2006, even though I hung on every pitch, the weather was so crappy it didn't seem like October baseball.

Unlike the popular media line of thinking, I have far more interest when the N.Y. teams are out, especially the Yankees. I don't mind the Red Sox winning because their fans truly appreciate it, unlike Yankee fans who just expect to win. I was surprised to hear some boos at Fenway last night though, even as early as the 4th inning. I would love to see the Rays win. I always liked Carlos Pena even when he struggled with the Tigers. Just don't say, "See you can win with a low payroll" if the Rays win. You can also finish last 15 yrs in a row before you win. Longoria has been amazing.
It's fun to watch Dais K. He doesn't mind walking the bases loaded but will never throw a hittable pitch, much less one down the middle. Sox are relying on Wakefield to keep them in it tonight.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the Rays just pisses me off, because the whole time, I'm watching Carlos Pena and thinking "what might have been"

Ravine

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't gnash those teeth so much, Foc. When Carlos was here, he was a Jason Thompson type: good for a big homer, every now and then, but spending most of his at-bats taking big, failed swings at balls he never had a chance of hitting.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I remember. Just wondering what might have happened had a 70-win team possessed a bit more patience, instead of cutting him in spring training.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.