Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Toledo 13, UM 10 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need we say more?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much you can say. Growing pains will take a couple of years. I'm not expecting anything at all this year, nobody should.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the genius that is Rich Rodriguez.

You are seen as an offensive genius, but in one particular style of offense. You are offered a job with one of the premier schools in the nation as the coach of one of the most storied teams in football history.

Sitting there at QB is a guy with one of the best arms in the game. He was the #2 QB recruited in the nation. He had a decent season as a true freshman.

Do you...

A. Proclaim that although you have typically ran one style of offense, that your offense can be adjusted for any QB of his talent?

B. Run him out of town, with no backup plan other than possibly wooing a freshman?

Ok, so you chose B.

Your plan of bringing in this freshman phenom blows up in your face. Do you...

A. Adjust your offense to protect your QB('s) and try to build a bit of confidence in them?

B. Publicly talk about how none of the QB's on your roster are not your type of QB and bank on bringing in a top freshman next year (instead of losing him to a top rival again)

In effect "The Genius" told the current guys that have little shot at being the QB beyond this season. That has to be a great motivating factor... "Get out there and try not to screw it up... I wouldn't have brought you here, but I'm stuck with you for this year." Gee, thanks coach!

Ditch-Rod

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7819
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY

Did you all see that lousy bad pass for a TD FOR U of M. One of the Toledo defensemen caught the ball from the touchback interception and he ran over 100 yards for a TD.

Word from the Street Prophet

This is not Lloyd Carr or Bo Schembeckler years anymore. In the meantime MSU Spartans skinned NWestern Wildcats 37 to 20 making them (3-0) in the Big ten conference and bowl elligable.

GO GREEN! GO SPARTANS!

Spartan are coming to Michigan Stadium to turn Blue and Gold into black and blue.

Jtf1972

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy it while you can, Danny-boy. Enjoy it while you can...

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the looks of things, Danny will be enjoying things for quite a while.

Michigan hasn't been elite for years. Now it appears they aren't even as good as a 1-4 MAC team.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankfully, I am no longer as rabid of a Michigan college football fan, as I was in my 20s and 30s, since the loser Lions are more than I can stomach as it is.

Jtf1972

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan will be back on top. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom. Maybe Nick Saban will make his way north. (I had to throw that in for Danny!)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7823
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU runner Ringer and next Heisman Trophy winner is bypass the Wolverines's line of scrimmage like Speedy Gonzalez.

GO GREEN! MSU will see you all A'maize in' blue in Michigan Stadium Oct 25th. Soon to be black and blue.

The only bowl game the Wolverines are going is the Toilet Bowl.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my problem with the whole "growing pains" argument that Michigan fans are using to justify RR's first year. Michigan has more talent than just about EVERY team they have played so far this year in terms of individuals. The typical excuse for a new coach coming in is that he needs to get "his guys" in. This implies that the players on the current roster are not of a proper talent level. 15 out of Michigan's 22 starters were rated 4 stars or better out of high school. That is a far more talented team than the 2003 Spartans had when they went 8-5 in JLS' first year as they implemented the spread offense. It is also much worse than last season's Spartan team that went 7-6 while changing back from the spread to a pro-style offense.

Let's face it. There is NO excuse as to why Michigan is THIS bad other than either poor coaching by the current UM staff or other teams have figured out how to defend the spread read option offense that RR uses.

Let's face it, Michigan ALWAYS brings in great talent. It isn't like RR is going to bring in better athletes than Carr did. The cupboard was far from empty. So unless RR can figure something out, Michigan is in for a very ugly couple of years.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When a team can't tackle...that tells you something.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was the worst game I ever witnessed at Michigan Stadium. Luckily I didnt see Appy St. I sense Carrs players are a little miffed at the new coach.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that a lot of Carr's players have been pissed for a long time. The Boren incident didn't occur in a vacuum and I'm sure there were other players who felt similar, if not the same who didn't leave. Then throw on the fact that a lot of true freshmen are getting a lot of minutes that many of these upperclassmen have been waiting to get for quite a long time and who are talented in their own right (see Brandon Minor).

One of the only things keeping the veterans from quitting on their coaches is the possibility of continued success. These guys are used to winning and you can't blame them for being frustrated when a new staff comes in, totally revamps a system that worked, chased off the top returning QB and lineman, and played a bunch of kids with wet ink on the HS diplomas ahead of them.

If Penn State runs the Wolverines right out of Happy Valley, I think the team will quit on the staff.

Kenp

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You keep hearing things from the staff like, the players are to slow. The players are soft. There isnt any talent. These are blue chip players, it would piss me off.
You look at that game Saturday there was no sense of urgency.
RR has had great success after poor starts, gotta trust him at this point

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see what Penn State just did to Bucky Badger IN camp randall...Penn State is just plain scary!

Kenp

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think UM has beaten PSU like 8 or 9 straight. Paybacks suck.
Line up and get your hits in

El_jimbo

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KenP,

Sure, RR has turned around poor starts after a few years in the past (I believe he only won 4 games his first year at WVU). However, the difference in athleticism is striking. At a program like WVU, there was a huge ceiling in terms of improving the athleticism of the players from the ones he inherited to the ones he brought in. At Michigan that isn't the case. Michigan already has some of the best athletes in the country. I just don't see how he plans on improving the athleticism of the team much (if at all) more than it already is through recruiting "his" guys.

My personal opinion is that defensive players in the Big Ten are bigger and faster than those in the Big East and they are capable of stopping that spread option offense.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.