Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tigers Pitching Coach Chuck Hernandez Fired « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buh-Bye, Chuck!

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news, these guys had to go; but couldn't they have waited ONE DAY to release this, now that the Tigers have to play the make-up game against the White Sox?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a shame that Chuck Hernandez has been fired, in a lame and misguided attempt to blame him for the Tiger's 2008 pitching problems.

In 2006, Chuck Hernandez had a staff with a couple of aging veterans (Rogers and Jones), a couple of exciting rookies (Verlander and Zumaya), and a bunch of midgrade pitchers (Robertson, Bonderman, Maroth, Miner, Rodney, Grilli, etc.) and he turned them into the best pitching staff in all of baseball.

In 2008, Chuck Hernandez had a staff with a couple of veterans (Rogers and Jones) that were no longer able to get the job done, a couple of starters that missed most of the season due to injuries and pre-existing problems (Bonderman and Willis), and a thin bullpen that was completely decimated by injuries (Rodney, Zumaya, Jones, and Farnsworth).

There is no valid reason to blame Chuck Hernandez for the Tiger's shitty pitching in 2008.

Justin Verlander had a sub-bar year, but I don't see how you can blame Hernandez, after he brought Verlander up the show, and coached him through two stellar seasons.

Bonderman and Willis didn't pitch for the Tigers for the majority of the season, and you can't blame the pitching coach for that.

Nate Robertson had a terrible year, but Galarraga had a stunning break-out year. If Robertson's bad season is the fault of Hernandez, then Galarraga's great season is a credit to Hernandez.

The same goes for the bullpen...

The Tiger's bullpen sucked ass this year, but was it the fault of Chuck Hernandez?

Todd Jones saved 18 games before he broke down from age and injury, leaving the Tigers without a reliable closer. Todd Jones saved 40 games in 2005, 37 in 2006, and 38 in 2007. Is Chuck Hernandez responsible for the lackluster, injury-plagued final year of TJ's career?

Zumaya only pitched 23 innings this year, and Rodney only pitched 40 innings. Is that the fault of Chuck Hernandez?

Casey Fossum pitched more innings than Rodney, Zumaya, or Jones, so it should be obvious why the bullpen sucked ass this year...

The Tiger's bullpen sucked ass because their best relief pitchers spent most of the year on the DL!

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had read somewhere earlier in the season - I don't remember where - that Hernandez put the pitchers on a unusual and ill-advised workout regimen spring training regimen that left the pitchers unprepared for the season.

Anyone else remember seeing that somewhere

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I do remember Leyland mentioning that he was considering extending the SP rotation's starts beyond the reasonable and customary 100 pitches, to perhaps 120-125 or so. This demonstrated Jimmy's mistrust of his BP, especially when Rodney became injured in (I think) his first ST appearance.

No need to rehash why he never was able to do that, as we Tiger fans know all too well what the start of the season was like.

Speaking of Jimmy:

No contract extension disappoints Tigers' Leyland

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leyland is lucky to still have a job with us. He should have been let go in my opinion. Once he whined about the contract extension that makes it even more clear he needs to go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.