Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Yankee Stadium farewell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3675
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know how many of you watched the final game in Yankee Stadium on ESPN last night, but it sure was a good show. Derek Jeter made one of the finest speeches off the top of his head for the final words that I ever heard a jock utter. Wasn't even one "y'know" in it. :-)

Guess I'd even call myself a Yankee Hater, but for that half-hour, I was all warm and cuddly over those pin-stripes.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeter is class act. EVERY time the Yankees are in town I see large contingent of kids at Comerica wearing T-shirts from Jeter's charity group (presumably in K-zoo?).

I don't know him personally, but the guy comes across as polished, but sincere - which is why A-Rod could hit 1000 home runs as a Yankee and he will never be able to carry Jeter's jock.

Njmikey
Username: Njmikey

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a life long Yankee fan I'm depressed and angry that steinbrenner is taking away the place where my great grandfather brought my grandfather, where he took my father, and where my father took me for the fist time back in 1985.

I know the stadium is not that same as it was before the 1974-75 renovation but the guts of the place and for the most part the field is the same. I don't understand how MLB and the people of New York can let this historic stadium be abandoned for a new place that will generate about $40 million more a year. It's disgusting.

How did the tiger fans deal with losing Tiger Stadium? I'm sure there are some who share my feelings.....

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but any kid who grew up in Kalamazoo and says he's ALWAYS been a Yankees fan can take a hike!

Border5150

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he live in NY as a kid at some point too?

Njmikey: I feel for you. Tiger fans went through the same thing about 9 years ago. On the positive, what i look at is the fact that the Stadium will still be in the Bronx, on 161st St. and it will STILL (thank God) be called "Yankee Stadium".

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current stadium has only been around since 1975.
Sunday night was just an excuse for a few stars to come out. Kind of like a movie opening in Hollywood. All sorts of blubbering from the likes of Reggie Jackson. Ridiculous.

Njmikey

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeo, While the renovated stadium looks nothing like the original, the guts of the place are the same 1923 structure as are the exterior walls. The field of play is also the same general piece of earth used since 1923 albeit with different dimensions. To say it's ridiculous is ignorant and naive. Do some research on it. It's the same original structure underneath the 70's era makeover.

Border5150

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Njmikey: I agree. It's similar to people using the Bennett Park years (1896-1911) when referring to Tiger Stadium.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went this year to see the Tigers beat the Yankees. When you walk in it is a great feeling because you are surrounded by baseball. Just like Tiger Stadium was. The people of New York are not happy about losing their stadium, so the folks in the nosebleeds told me.

Njmikey

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, no most of us are not happy about losing the stadium. There are some people though who say the old stadium is too cramped and crowed, long lines for concessions / bathrooms etc.but most think that's all BS. That's what gave Yankee stadium character and the new stadium will not have it. Not to mention the Steinbrenners greedy politicians fleeced poor South Bronx residents of precious park space to build the cash cow accros the street.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01 142008/news/regionalnews/activ ists_balk_as_developers_move_i n_on__432590.htm

and also

• The city manipulated the assessed value of the stadium to meet requirements for an IRS tax exemption. That included using comparable land values in Manhattan rather than the Bronx to come up with the value for the new property.

• The Yankees plan to increase ticket prices, but won't offer more moderately priced tickets to New Yorkers whose taxes will help pay for the stadium.

• City officials didn't disclose their purchase of a luxury box and extra game tickets and apparently there is no city policy on their use.

• The $366 million in additional funding sought by the Yankees to complete the stadium would be for a large video screen, not structural costs.

Border5150

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I made my one and only trip to Yankee Stadium in '02, the first thing it reminded me of was Tiger Stadium.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.