Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Should the Lions just disband for this season and wait for 2009? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That might be less shameful than finding a new way to lose - and lose horribly - every weekend.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And deprive their scheduled opposition a game in the almost certain W column?

Every NFL fan of the remaining teams on the Lion's schedule has already pumped up their prediction of their teams' final season W/L record by a game or two.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on September 22, 2008)

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Now....You guys have watched this team enough to know that we aren't going to do ourselves any favors by going winless. Towards the end of the year we'll play those two teams that are competing against us for the # 1 pick and kick their ass, thus dropping us from the top five to 12th. It happens every year.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10384
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Ford Jr said he would, if in charge, would fire Millen.
Too bad "ifs" don't mean shit.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our defense is so bad its like we are a college team, or playing a couple guys short. Nobody ever mentions that our d-coordinator is Marinelli's son-in-law. Doesnt that tell you something.

Goat

Post Number: 10386
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, and it should tell you something that Marinelli as a defense oriented coach has one of the worst defenses in the league.

Burn it down, burn it all!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to Fantasy Football, I have done a weekly shuffle of opposing teams players that take on the Lions. It has proved to be a guaranteed supply of fantasy points.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't people say the same about him when he was CEO of Ford? Deserved or not, it's not Bill Ford Jr.'s place to make that statement. I've always liked the guy, but that really lowers my opinion of him.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8831
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

410don- I see your point. I wouldn't exactly lower my opinion of the guy just yet. I'm not so sure there are too many Detroit Lions fans that wouldn't feel the same way. Should he have said it because of his proximity to the team? Business wise, maybe not but at least it's honest and I think there are some of us here that can appreciate his candor as a fellow fan.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it's not Bill Ford Jr.'s place to make that statement"

Why not? He's vice-chairman of the team ownership.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8833
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, on a team concept Bill Ford Jr. just threw one of his employees under the bus. It'd be akin to a co-worker gossiping about you and your performance. Now if he feels as though he can do something about it (maybe he can and maybe he can't), it should be something he handles man-to-man and not in the press. It's business decorum.

And like I said, as a Lions fan- he can say that.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they should just join the CFL, Anyone in petition of changing the lions name to the Detroit Lydowns of the Canadian foot ball league?

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound: CFL plays on a 110 yard field and offense only gets 3 downs. The Lions already have enough trouble moving the ball with 4 downs! The would only do worse in the CFL.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"on a team concept Bill Ford Jr. just threw one of his employees under the bus"

On a team concept he's got a 'player' who's overly tolerated and, being a second in command, he just strongly urged the top dog to get rid of a problem since the problem refuses to resign. Besides, Millen isn't the primary team leader the players should be focusing on - Marinelli is.

(btw Bill Jr. heard the grumbling at Ford and stepped aside for Mulally - lesson learned)

(Message edited by lilpup on September 22, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8836
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Lilpup there are different ways of delivering the news to the top- one can rattle it off to the media and have it delivered second hand or one can be a little more respectful of the hierarchy by delivering it directly and being professionally discrete.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much writing on the wall do you need? Ford Jr. hasn't been a stranger to the practice facility. In speaking during the pre-season he emphasized that it's time to win. Millen's oblivious and has himself admitted his record is horrible, so he can't claim he's caught off-guard and this is the first he's heard about it. There's little doubt he's only there because of the contract Ford Sr. gave. Millen's just pulling a Kwame, without the legal aspects.

from pre-season: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080802/SPO RTS01/80802001/1048

(Message edited by lilpup on September 23, 2008)

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Lions are consistent and predictable which helps the picks and point spreads. Don't change things now.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitna's knee injury will give Marinelli the excuse to start Dan Orlovsky. The lions will rally behind Dan Orlovsky and show spots of brilliance against The Bears.

However the Lions will lose the game in overtime due to an impossible twist of fate. A pigeon will fall from the rafters, tip a pass into the hands of defensive lineman who will inturn rumble 104 yards for a touchdown.

As a precaution, I have now placed all sharp objects under lock and key.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you forgot about the pathetic defense

Kenp

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Ford Jr really said that, wow. Good for him. Millen should have bee gone years ago, how he still has a job is insane.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget Orlovsky. Put Stanton out there.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt even know that Border. i knew the CFL played a little differently, i just didnt know how. then there is no hope for them

Kenp

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Stanton, but He always gets hurt. With his running style I sense a short career for him. I hope I'm wrong.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to start rooting for another high draft choice. I hope to god they get some guys who can tackle and just maybe rush the passer. Defense alone can win games.

Goat

Post Number: 10392
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, who in that organization deserves to have respect? Not the way they have treated the fans for over a decade (hell let's add 50+ years!). Fuck'em as they deserve no respect at all!

For those calling for Stanton, you could get Brady at his peak or any of the Manning brothers and Detroit would still only win 4 games because they have NO ONE ELSE ON THE DAMN TEAM WITH TALENT!

Jerrybear
Username: Jerrybear

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions should be disbanded for good, and then Detroit should get a new expansion team with one stipulation...

That the Ford family NEVER have anything to do with the organization. If your last name is Ford, forget about even being a janitor at the stadium. The Fords screwed up one Detroit team, they would not be allowed to screw up another one.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrybear! I've been saying exactly that for the past three years!

Too bad Los Angeles can't lure the Ford family to move the team out there. Maybe then our dream of an expansion team could come true.

Then we could have a contest to re-name Ford Field (home of the Ford Field Fuck Up's). One other thing too, no way should the new team EVER be called the Lions... A fresh team with a new name, new ownership, and a new name for the stadium.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mos-Def....for that matter....let 'em disband until 2020 - ain't nobody going to miss 'em.

No-body!

Smogboy

Post Number: 9139
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you folks that really think sincerely that this team should be sold by the Fords, get over it. It isn't gonna happen. Simply put, old man Ford is still making money by being a part of this money making juggernaut called the NFL. If you were Mr. Ford, would you give up your goose that's constantly laying you golden eggs (albeit tiny ones)? If you're a true Lions fan, the best you can seriously hope for is that he hires some knowledgeable & intelligent football people with insight & vision. Give these folks benchmarks to reach and if they're not reached- let them go. Mr. Ford's number one fault with this team is his loyalty to people (some people can also call this a virtue); he's loyal to the WRONG sorts of people like Russ Thomas and Matt Millen.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, that is why I finally divorced the Loins. I don't give a big rat's ass anymore if they win or lose. In fact, I hope they continue to lose, so they won't sell out, so I can see real NFL football on the Sunday's when the Loins are at home, instead of the so called "Professional" football that is the comedy show called the Detroit Lions...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.