Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008-09 Wings Price gouge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/bl og/puck_daddy/post/Media-slams -Red-Wings-for-ticket-hikes-Le afs-fo;_ylt=AoVOtiurMeWtzpkzc.LpDm97 vLYF?urn=nhl,107741

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want them to spend money and win and then return the favor by not attending the games prices will get raised.

It is like the person complaining about goods at the store they work at inching higher in price but yet expect a raise at the end of hte year.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_,

no way. This isn't like 5 years ago when they were buying up any aging superstar with a lick of talent left in the tank for top dollar. The salary cap changed the game. in the 2003-2004 season, the Wings payroll was $77.8 million. This year's salary cap is $56.7 million. That's $21.1 million less. If they could support the 2003-2004 team with its extremely large payroll, there is no reason they would need to raise prices to pay for the current roster.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While payroll has decreased all other aspects have increased in price including gas for the team plane. So if sell outs are a thing of the past they are going to raise tickets to cover the expenses at less than sell out levels.

Just like the Lions did.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, that's not how I learned economics.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_,

Do you honestly think that non-payroll operating expenses have gone up $20 million-plus in 5 years? You must work for the Red Wings if you are trying to spin that argument. The Illitch family wouldn't be where they are now if they actually let operating costs climb on their businesses like that.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had season tickets for many years, sat in row five in the corner. Before the lockout I paid $85 a seat, after the lockout I paid $85. The payroll was cut in a big way and I was awarded food coupons as a good faith gesture by the Wings.
I never had a problem with paying for the talent the Wings got, but when my turn came for a cut back they screwed us.
I gave up the seats as did many others. I understand teams need to make a buck and raise tickets from time to time but the Wings only think themselves. The thought that they cant even sell out any more is their own doing.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were they coupons for cake?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.