Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Right here! Right Now! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has to be one of the lamest ad campaigns to blow up in the face of a team. I don't know if they have canned it yet but... tick, tick, tick.

So my question here is... what other infamously ironic sports ad campaigns does this bring to your minds?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the tigers: "we come to play" and "we're earning our stripes" during the pitiful few seasons before 06

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Lions have already changed it. Its currently, "why me, why now"

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8791
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still yearn for the days of no ad campaigns from ANY sports teams and the hype they generated was from their on field/ on ice/ on the court performance.

I saw some old time NHL game on ESPN awhile back and loved the fact that the arena boards didn't have ads plastered all over them.

Lord, those were simpler times.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one with Millen and Morningweg talking tough on their Harley's comes to mind. The year before the NHL lockout the Wings had the red alert/put your red on campaign for the playoffs. Problem was Calgary wears red too, and they beat us.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Here! Right - No, wait - it's intercepted!

Jerrybear
Username: Jerrybear

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The ReVitaleized Pistons" was a pretty lame campaign, too!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1980, the Lions drafted running back Billy Sims with the first overall pick in the NFL Draft. Led by Sims, the team got off to a promising start that year and attracted considerable media attention when they adopted "Another One Bites the Dust", popularized by glam rock band Queen, as an unofficial team song. Lions player Jimmy "Spiderman" Allen recorded his own version of the tune with rewritten lyrics: Come and watch them Detroit Lions who no one seems to beat...and another one bites the dust which became popular on local Detroit radio. When the dust cleared, though, Detroit finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs, despite a 4-0 start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H istory_of_the_Detroit_Lions

I remember hearing Dick Purtan saying that it should be changed to "Another One Beats Our Butts..LOL!!

The Red Wings adapted the alt-rock band Filter's song "Hey, Man..Nice Shot" during the 1994 season, and it was played on some rock radio stations.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the 'right here right now' ad is strictly a Lions promotion. I think the ad is the NFL's collective making. All NFL teams have a version of the 'right here right now' promo theme. To be sure, the NFL is adamant in making sure everything is shared equally, including the good and the bad.

I like the Pistons, 'Going To Work' (followed by the work horn sound)...I think that is one of the best!

Also, remember the season when the Pistons were about to switch over to those horrific teal horse head uniforms, and during the season, the promo showed the Pistons round basketball emblem being hammered, sawed, and nailed away into a wooden cedar box shaped coffin?....The uniforms sucked, but the ad was pretty clever.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Jerrybear
Username: Jerrybear

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the teal and whatever Pistons color scheme was horrible. The Shock had something similar when they started, because they started when the Pistons had that color combo.

Thankfully they both have classic red, white, and blue now.

Ah yes, i remember the Lions cover of "Another One Bites the Dust." They counted a few chickens before they hatched that season.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 823
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders, don't know if you were around back then but the "Another One Bites the Dust" season was a classic. The players danced on their toes on the sidelines as the PA system played the song after each win. The Vikings were really pissed after the Lions did this after their win in Sept.
In the return game in Minnesota in Nov. the Vikings crushed the Lions 34-0. As a Lions fan, I still thought they got what was coming to them.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'401don' stated...
quote:

The players danced on their toes on the sidelines as the PA system played the song after each win.

The dance that the players performed in endzone and sideline celebration was no other than the notorious 'Errol Flynn' gang hand dance of the time.

...aaaah! Detroit city was so well connected back then....

Remember when the Michigan Panthers and Bobby Herbert used the phrase 'Praise the Lord' to lead the charge to the win the 1983 USFL football championship!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, I was "around" that season, and will also never forget the infamous Lions vs Bears Thanksgiving Day game, in which they lost in the shortest O.T. game in NFL history. Near the end of regulation, and leading by 6 pts., the Lions were forced to punt to the Bears kick returner, whose name I can't recall right now, but he returned it for a TD as time ran out in the game, tying the score, and sending it into overtime.

The Lions lost the coin toss in OT, the Bears elected to receive. They kicked to THE VERY SAME Bears returner, who promptly returned it for the game-winning TD!!

I believe that game is the one that made me realize how truly cursed the team was, and would be for probably the rest of my life. I was born a few months before the Lions won their last championship in 1957.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy: You want to talk about excessive marketing - the Red Wings come up with a new campaign EVERY year just for the playoffs.

It seems like the ad campaigns we all hate are the ones used when the teams are doing badly - the teal Pistons era, the 90s - pre 2006 Tigers. In those cases, like the every season for the Lions - you can put polish on a turd but...

"Welcome to Hockeytown" is BY FAR the best ad campaign by any Detroit sports team. My understanding is that the NHL actually approached the Wings and the ad agency who came up with it about taking it league-wide. The Wings said "no way". Could you imagine Phoenix, or Colorado calling itself Hockeytown???

Of course, the best marketing strategy in any sport is winning.

As for the worst - that would have to be the 2003 Tigers when their ads featured Alan trammell, Lance Parrish and Kirk Gibson - doing a slo motion walk through the tunnels as if THEY were PLAYING for the Tigers and not coaching!

(Message edited by border5150 on October 20, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.