Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Why are Olympic Volleyball players so touchy/feely? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been watching the indoor volleyball matches? I have been on football, basketball, and baseball teams at some point in my life. I have never been involved with the hugging of team mates after every successful play. Whether it's the men's or the women's volleyball team, they come to a huddle and congratulate each other whenever a point is awarded.

Now, I'm not against acknowledging a good play made by another team mate with a high-five or a verbal, "Hey, good job." I just can't imagine the Pistons hugging each other every time one of them makes a basket. In volleyball is it because of the proximity of the players and the fact that play stops immediately after a point that makes the hugging so common? When did this ritual begin? Does it seem a bit excessive? What's your take?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has something to do with the amount of exposed flesh

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the hugging is excessive it never makes me barf the way Isiah kissing Magic before game 1 of the NBA finals did.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been enjoying the womens platform diving. Not so much for the diving, but for the coverage after the dive of them taking a shower and then stepping into the jacuzzi.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats to make up for the fact volleyball is not a contact sport. I heard more than once that some volleyball players didn't like basketball because of the contact so they concentrated on volleyball and the hugging and touchy/feely makes up for the lack of contact.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't mind some touchy/feely contact with some of those lady volleyball players. Personal opinion here, but I think Spandex is one of the top ten inventions of all time.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed this a lot while viewing the men's and women's beach volleyball games. Didn't get a chance to catch many of the indoor games. I believe a good play hand slap (high/low five) has been a tradition for quite some time in volleyball. As to the hugging, I'm not sure where that came from. I did find it kind of bizarre during the one women's volleyball game I watch (China Brazil) that after every play, good or bad, they get together and group hand slap or hug. Seemed kind of like an unnecessary affirmation, especially on a bad play. I will note, however, that watching two female beach volleyball players practically make out on the beach after a win isn't all bad (at least aesthetically). I noticed a lot of hugging involved in skull races too (rowing). A number of times after a race, the man/women in front would lay back and be pretty much in the lap of the rower sitting behind him/her. Then some sort of hugging/groping would take place.
Maybe people are just a little more touchy feely these days. I don't know.

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does every basketball team in the US have to slap skin after every front end free throw? Same thing...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quonset,

did you see how bad the US basketball team was from the charity stripe? Actually making a free throw seems to be a major accomplishment these days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.