Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Farm System prospects « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 685
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Baseball America's Prospect Handbook and did some Internet searching:

Pitchers:

1). Rick Porcello - Coming around in high A ball. In Detroit September '09?

2). D-Train Willis - stats in high A rehab have been fairly good. Control seems to be coming. Sept. '08?

3). Ryan Perry - #1 draftee in June. Sept. '09?

I'm not really high on Bonine. Bonine won with a very strong hitting Toledo team.

Think there is a good prospect Crosby who had Tommy John surgery this year. 2011 in Detroit?

Tigs really need to have Bonderman and Willis come back 100% next year and maybe some late season help from Porcello.

Other then Porcello this part of the farm system is weak. Baseball America's mid-summer minor league rankaings has Porcello #8 in their list of top 100 minor league prospects.

Catchers:

1). Max St. Pierre - Better hitter then Dane, but a backup at the MLB level.

2). James Skelton - VERY young but exciting prospect. 22 year old having a very good season at Lakeland. Couple of years away from DET.

(I believe the Tigs really hoped a C would fall to them in the first round of the 2008 Draft.

Outfield:

1). Wilkin Ramirez - 22 year old kid from D. Republic. Having a very good season at Erie. Very intriquing prospect.

2). Brent Clevlen and Clete Thomas both of whom know how to get up to Detroit on short notice.

Infielders:

Tigers are flat out loaded!

Baseball America's Prospect Handbook has:

#2 Cale Iorg, #3 Scott Sizemore, #4 Michael Hollimon, #6 Jeff Larish and #8 Danny Worth.

(#1 prospect, of course, is Rick Porcello).

Also don't forget Mike Hessman who is a real HR hitter for the Mud Hens.

I kind of thought Tigs would trade an infield prospect to someone like Washington for a reliefer like Jon Rauch (Rauch went to D'backs).

Did I forget anyone or many?

(Message edited by emu steve on August 03, 2008)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 686
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quick note on the MiLB teams:

Toledo having a strong season.

Erie with a thin roster is a .430 type team.

Lakeland is a .500+ team.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add this P, Guillermo, for '10 in Detroit. (already moved up to Erie and doing well).

This P is a strike out wizard. Amazing stats.

(thanks to Rob in Warren).

http://web.minorleaguebaseball .com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Gu illermo%20Moscoso&pos=P&sid=mi lb&t=p_pbp&pid=446861

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moscoso threw a perfect game in Oneonta (short season NYPenn league) last summer. I have a feeling this guy might skip triple A as many prospects do and we'll see him in September out of Tigers' bullpen.

Ramon Garcia is another guy who a couple years ago was killing low A West Michigan (along side Jurrjens). He had a season plus of arm trouble, but this year he is getting healthy, and his numbers are decent at Lakeland. Next year will decide his fate as a prospect.

Good site for tracking Tiger prospects:
http://mvn.com/milb-tigers/

Emu_steve

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Moscoso and Cabrera are both from Maracay, Venezuela.

Do the Tigers 'own' Maracay? ;-)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at that mvn.com site.

guess I missed some prospects.

that site has a LOT of detail.

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Venezuela will soon own the majors. They export oil and .300 hitters.

Look out for the guys that have and will be sent to the Arizona Fall League. It's a good indication of the players the organization sees as prospects.

As you mentioned Ramirez, Worth, and Iorg are the bats I'll be looking for next season to do well at higher levels in the organization.

I also am interested in:
Deik Scram OF (great name)
Justin Justice OF
Jeff Frazier OF
Ryan Roberson 1B
William Rhymes 2B

Tig's desperately need a classic leadoff hitter from the SS, 2B, LF, or CF position.

They also need a catcher. Devin Thomas was a high-ish pick a year or two ago. I hope he gets to go to the fall league and get more ABs. Skelton is really small (too small) but got a good long look during spring training.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the Detroit News online so I miss some of Lynn Hennings' columns on prospects (mostly over sight on my part).

Hope he does a wrap-up of the farm system next month

Ramirez is on fire.

I'd love to get more info on Tig prospects (and signees) from Venezuela.

Those kids are not subject to the draft so a team can make a haul like the Yankees of old (before the draft) did.

P.S. I hope the Tigs keep Renteria for at least one season and let the kids Rob mentions have ONE more MiLB season.

Don't rush them!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 705
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilkin Ramirez (OF) Erie is on fire. Aug 7 - 17 he is hitting around .500.

Awesome.

I'm starting to feel better about the Tigs' farm.

I'm seeing more 'high ceiling' type players develop.

I'm starting to think that Ramirez might be one.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn Henning weighs in on C Ryan and Avila. (Ryan should replace next spring Dane who isn't hitting is...).

and EMU Steve fav, Ramirez.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/S PORTS0104/808190369/1004/SPORT S

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listened to the Seawolves game last night (I know, I'm a dork) and the New Britain Rock Cats announcer heaped praise on Wilkin Ramirez. Moscoso was pitching and had another good night. Line was 4H, 2ER, 2BB, 8K in 7 innings.

The funny thing is when the announcer said something like "the Rock Cats turned a double play" it sounded like he was saying "the Rockettes".

Emu_steve

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for when Cabrera is batting, listening to the Seawolves might be more fun.

Ramirez replaces Maybin as the top MiLB OF in the Detroit system [he is a corner- we don't need a CF :-) ]

Porcello and Moscoso are probably the two best P prospects in the system.

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget about Perry. He could be a rookie closer in the fashion of Paps, Krod or Jenks at the MLB level next season. (I'm wishing now) I don't know much about his stuff, but I heard they were grooming him as a reliever.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Freddy Garcia. :-)

Not home grown but now in the system (minor league free agent).

Emu_steve

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding Ryan Strieby who had a pretty big year in Lakeland. HR hitting 1B.

BTW, Rick Porcello was limited to 75 pitches per game.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been paying as much attention to the Tigers' minor league system, this season, as I usually do, so I really appreciate you two guys doing so and reporting, here, on your findings.

Seriously, thanks.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 719
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,

Unless Ilitch unloads some big contracts and acquires some big contract pitchers, the next step for the Tigs is to improve internally.

There are young players on the Tigs (e.g., Granderson, Cabrera, etc.) who will get better but the older Tigs will not.

That means the minor league system is CRITICAL for the Tigs.

I didn't pay much attention LAST season as the Tigs didn't seem to need immediate help as much (like going into spring training all positions supposedly were solid).

Tigs need to out draft (and develop) the other teams.

We do have good minor league scouts

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.