Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » TIGERS TRADE PUDGE « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press has the scoop!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPO RTS02/80730079

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inge now full time behind the plate?

Hopefully they got some relief pitching...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN: to the Yanks for Kyle Farnsworth.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...thats shitty

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! what a great deal. Tigers made out like a bandit. WTF was Dombrowski thinking? A straight up trade for Farnsworth?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7922
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farnsworth is not great but at least he throws strikes. You could read the F-bomb on Leyland's lips in both the 7th and 8th innings last night as our relievers walked the no. 8 and 9 batters to start innings with a 4 run lead.
Farnsworth's contract is up at the end of this yr. also so it's really not that big of a trade. Pudge wasn't coming back and we've gotta get the everyday lineup a little younger. Doesn't necessarily mean Inge will be the everyday catcher next year.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could have at least tried to snag a Prospect or two...

Yankee's made out like bandits...

Renteria...Willis...Farnsworth ....

Come on dave...Joe Dumars you aint

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5202
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what type of signal this is supposed to send. Inge is still more than competant, Farnsworth adds something to our bullpen, but Pudge was a leader and a cog. I think they still envision us having a chance in the front office-- but this sort of move only reinforces the "chance" part of it. We will likely stay mediocre, though we are capable of more. Stay tuned, if there is another deal or two, we should have some clarity.

The question is, what sort of deal would send a signal that we are going to make a run? We are strong at every position-- we've just been underperforming. Maybe Renteria for a middle-of-the-road starter to fill up some innings and a SS prospect? Maybe a closer? We are just in an awkward spot. What we need is wins now, and some inspiration from Leyland to encourage consistency. 5.5 games is surmountable, but I don't see us overcoming it if we stay in this awkward daze.

401don

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mixed feelings about Pudge as a Tiger. He always appeared to try hard, running out ground balls, coming out to talk to the pitchers, etc. but I never really forgave him for the way he gave up on Trammell and the team in the 05 season. He basically admitted it and said it was because he was going through his divorce that yr. but he was one of several veterans that never gave Trammell the respect he deserved. Also, he has a life size statue of himself on his front lawn in Puerto Rico. That's just weird.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis was a throw in, you don't get Cabera without taking Willis.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting trade. The Tigers bullpen sucks, and their starting rotation ain't all that great, either. Anything to help the pitching staff should turn out to be a plus.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Dombrowski officially threw in the towel on this season. An even trade though? That's just disgusting. Kyle Farnsworth? That's sickening. Is Inge even happy being behind the dish again?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's 36 and in his option year. Maybe the Tigers knew he was going anyway and didn't want to pay the price to keep him.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Tigers chances of making the playoffs with Farnsworth more than I do Pudge. Pudge is better than Inge, but I really don't think there's that big of a difference between the two. Pudge batting average is some 70 points better than Inge, but the OPB (which is more important than avg) is Pudge at .338 and Inge at .320. Also Inge has a better slugging percentage by 20 points.

I think the bottom line is that whether it's Inge or Pudge behind the plate that isnt going to be the reason they miss or make the playoffs.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Dombrowski did to Pudge what Pudge did to Trammell. I say good riddance, he was a shell of the player he was and there was no way we were gonna pay him again, as this is his contract year. We get a closer out of the deal which we really needed, and we were gonna lose Tony Montana anyway. This improves their chances this year

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF. My sentiment exactly.

I feared this. Rumors about Pudge were out there.

Ilitch, I hope, takes the money he saves on Pudge and redoes the CoPa scoreboard.

Will the Tigs try to dump more salaries after the season is over?

401don

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigs won't resign Rogers, Jones and Renteria. There's 27 million plus Pudge was making 14 million this yr. There's nobody to dump except Sheffield, Bonderman or Willis and I don't see anybody taking those contracts for separate and obvious reasons.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said in the other thread, the key is this: The Yankees were really screwed in the catching department, I mean REALLY bent over. Looks like the Tigers bailed them out with a lopsided trade.

We couldn't have gotten more? The Yankees were SCREWED...they had no everyday catcher!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Focus.

Pudge, at least going by on-field demeanor, was one of the last intense guys left on this team. The rest are zombies who happen to rack up some decent stats, with a coach who refuses to appear anything but relaxed, even though deep down he worries about everything and wants to win. I don't expect them to get inspired. They could make the playoffs without Pudge, because there's so much talent, but there's just no reason to believe that when you watch them.

The Yankees are gonna tear it up, though.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

farnsworth did not sound to pleased in his interview after being notified of the trade stating that he "had to play in detroit in 2005" and that he "will just go with it. i wanted to finish out my contract here"

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5206
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, chemistry and emotion mean nothing to Leyland. You can win with 25 good players who don't want to be here.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 681
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigs playing like they attended a funeral earlier today.

401don

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's face it the Tigers were a train wreck in 05. Lousy record, lousy attitude, lousy attendance. Who would want to return based on those memories? Rodney and Zumaya's performances the rest of the way will determine if the Tigers even make him an offer after the season.

401don

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think about it the trade was kind of lopsided. We should have thrown in Robertson.:-)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems we are all clearly divided on this. The tale will tell itself out soon enough though. Leyland is beginning to look more animated. But right now, it's not about him, is it?

Pudge came to this team in a deal that made the Tigers a major story of interest. And Pudge did tear it up in every department. And Pudge became part of the community. This year he is a bit slower, a little less fiery, somewhat drowned out by bigger names. And during his first years here, he was the clubhouse chatterbox, the one who got on your ass when needed, and the one who was quick to forget fault, when appropriate. A true veteran of the game, and a pretty damn fine ball player. Surely a HOF'er.

A bit slower, a bit subdued at the plate, perhaps even looking a little bit bored... with The Game... for him I think that going to NY is a fine way to cap off a distinctive career.

We'll see him again, pretty soon, in what I have maintained for so long will be a make, or break, game. Go Tigers.

I liked Farnsworth when he was here before. That mudder better do some closin'!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose that I should weigh in.

I have great admiration for Ivan Rodriguez, although it may be dwarfed by the admiration he has for himself. Still, I feel a bit blue about his departure; after all, he was the guy who "made the first move," in the sense that he was the first big-name player to join the Tigers at the beginning of their attempt at a climb back upwards.
However, I don't think this trade is much of a big deal, really, although it makes plenty of sense for the Yanks. We are, despite the apparent physical improbability, somehow digging a grave for ourselves at the same time as we are throwing dirt in on top of ourselves. This Year's Model has no heart, and teams without heart always go home after Game #162, so (while it grieves me to feel this way) I AGAIN say: Fuck 'em; if they don't care, I don't care, either.
I am fairly certain that Rodriguez was not seeing himself as still being a Tiger next season, anyway, and this team is sufficiently fucked up to the point where it doesn't make any difference if Rodriguez stays or goes. We get Farnsworth, an acquisition about which I am extremely non-excited. Still, while I wish we could have, instead, squeezed rookie RP Edwar Ramirez away from them, I am willing to say that this move is pretty much a fair & square deal, and I hope Farnsworth surprises me by infusing some stability into our nearly-ridiculous bullpen.

Ravine

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And please notice who is now again an everyday player.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yankees have two teams to fight this season in the ED for a postseason berth, instead of just one.

Can't believe that Farnsworthless (what Yankee fans have called him) is all that the Tigers could get in return. Starting HOF bound catchers batting near.300 aren't exactly plentiful, much less for a journeyman RP to a legit contender in a playoff chase.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on July 30, 2008)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And please notice who is now again an everyday player.

In the wrong goddamn position. Ugh.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, even though Ing wants to be an every day player, I don't think he's too keen on catching. Something needed done with the so-called chemistry, so good. Hell, I felt bad about trading Easley, whom I used to call "Easy E". He wud deaf.

Ravine

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Foc, I think we may be on the same page, here, but I would say that it is not so much the wrong position as it is not the right one.
I still have a hard time with the fact that we have a guy who is, defensively speaking, one of the better 3Bmen I have seen, and he is not playing 3B. If we had the fuckin' so-called New Murderer's Row that some folks theorized we had, such a team could carry a BA like Inge's for the sake of being able to depend on a glove & arm like Inge's.
I am inclined to believe that Brandon sees this new turn of events as being some pretty funny shit.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can we send sheffield someplace next?

boppin his bat around before A) striking out while swinging for the fence or B) flying out while swinging for the fence...

jeeez louise...

Flanders_field

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a Yankee fan message board that I read, they posted that Farnsworth was in tears when he was interviewed about his trade to the Tigers.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4784
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Daily News is reporting that Pudge asked to be traded.

http://www.nydailynews.com/spo rts/baseball/yankees/2008/07/3 0/2008-07-30_ivan_rodriguez_as ked_tigers_to_be_traded.html

Flanders_field

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://web.yesnetwork.com/medi a/index.jsp

Video is on the page regarding Farnsworth's reaction to the trade.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8485
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also torn about the Pudge trade. He had to go while he still had some value. Both teams got some benefit from the trade. As a Tigers fan, he was the beginning of what was a spike in interest again for the team. Sure we overpaid for him a little bit but I'd like to think that without him, we wouldn't have been able to get some of the other free agents like Magglio, Cabrera, Guillen, and possibly Polanco to come here. Adding a player of Pudge's then stats definitely helped and we should at least acknowledge that.

Over the last few years though, his skills have definitely diminished some. One glaring stat that always bugged me was his inability to draw a walk at a critical time. while I agree a well hit ball works wonders, odds are that he wasn't going to do it; not being able to get on base by any means possible speaks to me of being a selfish player. What he did to Trammell that year was unexcusable as well.

He did some good things here and did some bone headed things as well. We cheered for him when he played well and some of us booed him when he was a knucklehead. He was sort of an enigma with many facets. I'm sure he will be missed by some but it's going to be bittersweet for me. I really wish he could've elevated this team up to the glory land that he started here.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me toss a Randy Johnson blupper ball* into this discussion:

What if Pudge signed with another team during the off season what draft choices would we have gotten?

* last week he threw a pitch which was too slow for radar. :-)

P.S. Dombrowski is now paying the price for having traded key pitchers to NYY, ATL and FL.

He has one prime P prospect left, Porcello.

All his prime prospects are position players, though not catchers.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No catchers?

We have a few in the minors that could be MLB ready in a year...

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good News, Everyone!
The Tigers have traded Pudge for Farnsworth!
Finally, there will be some brains in the bullpen!
Farnsworth

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5219
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story Lilpup posted is unsubstantiated and quite frankly hard to believe. Typical story to appear in one (and only one) NY paper to sell papers on a particular day.

I think it would be embarrassing display of ignorance and tacky as hell if Pudge gets booed at Comerica Park on 9/1. I just know that people will boo, though. Please persuade your friends not to.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be in town and have tickets (from the rain out game May 11) for the Labor Day game vs. NYY.

I will cheer Pudge (unless I see a YouTube saying 'get me out of here').

Flanders_field

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pudge's inauspicious debut in NY for the Yankees vs Angels: K, GIDP, IF single to 3rd, pulled for a PH in the bottom of the 9th, 3 SB!! 1 CS.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pudge's problem and Dane's yesterday was calling the game.

Petitte and Pudge weren't on the same page.

JV didn't have a good pitch selection (hello, catcher).

BTW, I watched both games. Pudge got a warm but not great welcome first at bat but BOOED when he struck out.

I have no problem with Inge BUT Dane can't hit his weight and doesn't have the moxie to call a playoff contending game.

FWIW, I don't think Tigs have top notch C prospects in the minors. Tigs have feared for years who would replace Pudge. Hello, Brandon.

BUT who would have known in March that Brandon would be a Tig and starting catch! :-)

(Message edited by emu steve on August 01, 2008)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pudgewatch: K, GIDP, IF groundout vs Santana of the Angels, who won 1-0 vs the Yanks.

Angels are looking like the class of the AL this season, and the Rays being the dominant @ home team, also being the only team in the AL with a winning record vs the Angels so far.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.