Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » MLS Soccer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So...MLS announced that they were expanding another 2 teams in 2011...

What are the Odds Detroit might be on that list???

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 621
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope slim to none.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where would they play? MLS was demanding new stadiums for teams a few years ago.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 910
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to get in on MLS before it takes off/tanks, but I think we had our chance a few years back.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 842
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the ethnic groups here, as well as the youth soccer teams throughout the area, I don't understand why we can not support an MLS team. I've been to the Chicago Fire games at Soldier Field, its a blast. Let them play at Comerica Park while the Tigers are on the road.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite - why do you hope slim to none?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how is the pro indoor team in Plymouth doing? good attendance?

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think their best shot would be playing at Ford Field, its the perfect place for them. If they are actually good, you would see a winning team in ford field then the lions. LOL

Atkruz789
Username: Atkruz789

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford field was the last pro football field to be built without pro soccer in mind. The stadium in not long enough to play soccer on, so Ford field can not be used for soccer. A new stadium will have to be built as there is nothing that can hold an MLS game by league requirements. The league also requires that it be a SSS so a shared stadium is not allowed.

Back in 2004 there was an effort to bring an MLS team to Detroit through www.mlsdetroit.com
The website is still up for unknown reasons, the people behind the website have since brought the Mid MI bucks to Pontiac. There is a small but passionate group of fans there and they are called "The Herd," we/they help to create an uplifting/intimidating experience for the players and fans. This is done through chanting/singing with drums, cowbells and streamers. A small portion of those fans decided to start a supporters group for the Detroit area to show that there is passion for the sport here in Detroit. We call ourselves the Motor City Supporters Club. We meet to watch games and talk soccer, grab a pint or three and have fun with like minded soccer fans. We have embarked on our first trip to Columbus and will be supporting the local colleges and semi-pro teams this coming summer. We are out to have a fun time and show our passion for the worlds game. To find out more about us and get in on the discussion join us over at Big Soccer. We are currently the longest running thread in the forums that does not have a specific forum and/or has NOT been mentioned by MLS lately. We are aiming high, we want our own Detroit MLS team to cheer for and will not stop until it happens. We look forward to talking with any and all soccer fans, so tell your friends and family!

Kruz - President MCS
motorcitysupporters@gmail.com
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum /forumdisplay.php?f=35
motorcitysupporters.org
motorcitysupporters.blogspot.c om

(Message edited by atkruz789 on September 12, 2008)

D_mcc

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If columbus can host an MLS team...Detroit should be more than capable...I happen to know of a certain corner in the D...that might need some development plans...

Atkruz789
Username: Atkruz789

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus has a team due to MLS holding a contest where the team that sold the most season tickets got a team. Columbus barely won that contest and they have a team now that is getting better support as they are atop the table this season. It is still close enough to drive for a Saturday game and is a BLAST even if it is buckeye territory.

I would love for that corner to have a sporting history again. I thought that there was going to be a baseball museum there though.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a budding Chicago Fire supporters' group in Michigan. http://www.new.facebook.com/ho me.php#/group.php?gid=11828367 547.

There's not really any chance for a team in Detroit at this point. Cities like Vancouver, Miami, St. Louis, Ottawa, Portland, that already have concrete plans in place, are competing for 2 available expansion slots.

I would hope no one has to settle for supporting Columbus. The Fire are a blast as well, and don't play in Ohio.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You honestly think somebody is going to build a new stadium in Detroit for soccer? I assume most cities that have a franchise use either a old or current football stadium. Lets pretend that Ford field could be used. I'm not sure a franchise would even survive here.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope...Kenp...mls now demands single use stadia for all new teams

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can a new team use an old football stadium as long as it only used for soccer? Also can a new team play indoors?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole MLS stadium thing presents a difficult chicken/egg problem for cities trying to get an expansion team. It's one thing to finance the operations of an expansion team. It's quite another to tack on the development of a $60-100 million facility to the ownership group's efforts. An MLS team here could draw 15,000-20,000 per game. There would be lots of Canadian interest. It would be cool to have a team but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon though.

Why hasn't the Mid Michigan Bucks ownership tried to get a USL First Division team? Without a soccer only venue, it seems like a better shot.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Silverdome? Seriously. Part of the World Cup was held there. Are there any realistic plans for the future of the dome on the table otherwise?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't be an indoor stadium guys. Seriously, there are cities in better financial shape lined up with multi-million dollar stadium proposals. Detroit's not getting an MLS team.

Swingline, I'm all in favor of the Bucks trying to get a USL-1 team, especially with potentially 3 USL teams disappearing with the next rounds of MLS expansion. (Seattle, maybe Portland/Montreal/Vancouver/At lanta, etc)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.