Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Wolverines Football « Previous Next »
Archive through August 09, 2008Vetalalumni30 08-09-08  8:10 pm
Archive through September 08, 2008Defendbrooklyn30 09-08-08  10:59 am
Archive through October 02, 2008Mackinaw30 10-02-08  4:37 pm
Archive through October 16, 2008El_jimbo30 10-16-08  7:43 am
Archive through October 28, 2008El_jimbo30 10-28-08  6:27 am
Archive through November 17, 2008Glowblue30 11-17-08  12:15 am
Archive through November 19, 2008El_jimbo30 11-19-08  9:03 pm
Archive through November 24, 2008El_jimbo30 11-24-08  7:12 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just added another 4 star safety today, a very nice class coming in. Out with the old in with the new. If a player isnt committed to the team then get out.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good pickup. The problem is that you have a VERY unbalanced class. Probably the biggest need on the team is offensive linemen and so far, you only have one committed offensive lineman. This is not a good thing considering you lose 3 starters on the offensive line and only took 2 linemen in 2007 and 4 linemen in 2008. However, as of right now, Rich Rod has only recruited 5 linemen to Michigan.

Contrast that with some of the other positions. In 2008 and 2009 (so far) Michigan has recruited 7 running backs, 4 wide receivers, 7 defensive backs, 2 other players who will either be wide receivers or defensive backs, and 3 quarterbacks. That's a LOT of show ponies and not a lot of work horses.

Offensive line isn't the only place on the roster where the recruiting has been thin the past two years. With Witherspoon and Hill leaving from the current freshman class, Michigan only brought in 2 linebackers last year. So far this year, only 2 linebackers (and one only weighs 181 lbs!).

Lastly, defensive line could be an issue too. So far, only 3 defensive ends and 3 defensive tackles have been brought in with the last two classes (2008 and 2009).

I hate to keep comparing this to John L. Smith, but I feel like I'm watching a maize and blue version of the same movie. This is exactly what happened in East Lansing. Our recruiting classes would be full of skill position players but thin on the lines and in the linebacker corps.

Games are won in the trenches, so if you aren't bringing in guys to fill those spots you won't win. The offensive line was atrocious this year. How much worse could it get if they aren't bringing in enough quality bodies to plug the holes.

Kenp

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually our class of 2007 lineman is solid. We had 5 commits (3) 4 star and (2) 3 star. We also converted a athletic DL to the OL and redshirted all 6.
On the DL we have had a great recruiting year (4) 4 stars and hopefully another coming as well.
Biggest thing for us will be our QB situation.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 882
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where in the world are you getting that? I'm looking at the rivals commitment list for Michigan right now. The only linemen listed in that class are Mark Huyge and David Molk. The only linemen listed in that class are Ryan Van Bergen and Renaldo Sagesse, both of which are still listed as defensive linemen. That leaves 3 invisible linemen and 1 invisible converted defensive lineman from that 2007 class that aren't showing up.

It appears you have your years mixed up. You were looking at the 2008 class. Even still, that is not a lot of offensive linemen to be taking over a 3 year span.

Kenp

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring to the current freshman class, the signed in 2007 but your correct it would be the 2008 class. You said 4 O lineman and its 5. They are a good group, currently being whooped on by the conditioning coach.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

I thought it was 4 because I got confused by the reports that came out last x-mas time about Mealor. I thought HE was the one paralyzed in that car accident and not his brother. That's why I thought there were only 4 linemen and not 5. That's my mistake.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole defensive line is leaving. Michigan will be be even more reliant on freshman than this year.

I say 2-10, with one Big 10 win.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM looks to be worse next season...and the search for a new coach shall begin

El_jimbo

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if they are bad next year they can't get rid of Rich Rod after next year. They essentially paid him 4 million this season plus his salary and the buyout won't be affordable for a few years.

Kenp

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to show marked improvement next year, then really come on in 2 years or he's toast.
If he is under 500 next year or doesnt show real improvement and hope, he's in big trouble. You want to talk about money, here is the real problem. We have big luxury boxes to sell.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"UM looks to be worse next season...and the search for a new coach shall begin" quote

Charlie Weis should be available by then. UM fans by then should be used to a arrogant, smartest guy in the room, turning off alumni, abandoning tradition type of coach.

Kenp

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny

El_jimbo

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KenP,

I really question if next year will be any better for Michigan. There are some BIG fundamental problems that have to be addressed.

1. Offensive line.
Rich Rod and Barwis' idea of linemen are smaller, faster linemen. However, in the Big Ten, those small linemen were DOMINATED. This was even with 3 senior starters on the line this year. It's hard to be successful with small, young linemen.

2. Defensive line.
3 guys are definitely gone and Graham is likely gone as well. Any success you had on defense this year was because of the talent of that defensive line. The backups aren't nearly as good as the guys they will be replacing. Michigan will have a much harder time stopping the run next year than they did this year.

3. QBs.
Even if those QBs are all that, they are true freshman. How good can you expect a freshman QB to be in this offense? Sure you can point to other freshman QBs who've had success (Chad Henne and Terrell Pryor). However, in those offenses, a strong running game (Beanie Wells and Mike Hart) protected them. In the Rich Rod offense, not only is the QB supposed to pass the ball, but he's also supposed to be one of the, if not THE, leading rusher for the team. That's putting a lot on a true freshman's shoulders.

Kenp

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QB is the real key, both freshman are enrolling in Jan, which I dont like, however that will help. It will be tough for a freshman, but if one stands out I think he has to start. I think the kid from Cali will win the job. Only criteria is to improve each week.
Defense is a issue, we had talent this year and played very poorly. The D was way over hyped, but still should have been much more solid. But we were in the same shape the beginning of last year, everybody was gone. Thats one area if done right can be fixed.
I think the O line is going to be fine, we have a nice group of 2nd year guys coming in. Not expecting to dominate but get better each week.
We have all the running backs returning, and a ton of athletic players who were either red shirted, hurt or are incoming freshman.
And I also think we plan on using 13 men on both sides of the ball for an added advantage

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1. Offensive line.
Rich Rod and Barwis' idea of linemen are smaller, faster linemen. However, in the Big Ten, those small linemen were DOMINATED. This was even with 3 senior starters on the line this year. It's hard to be successful with small, young linemen.

I don't know what you're talking about. There was not a single senior on the O-line for Michigan this year. Zirbel never played due to injury. Moosman and Ortmann were redshirt juniors, and Ortmann wasn't good. He probably won't start next year.

quote:

2. Defensive line.
3 guys are definitely gone and Graham is likely gone as well. Any success you had on defense this year was because of the talent of that defensive line. The backups aren't nearly as good as the guys they will be replacing. Michigan will have a much harder time stopping the run next year than they did this year.

Most indications are that Graham is staying. It won't be official until Jan. 15, but it's looking good for M.

We will be losing a lot on the DL, yes, but our linebackers will improve, as will our secondary. We weren't able to take full advantage of our good DL this season anyway, because our LB and DB play was so weak.

quote:

3. QBs.
Even if those QBs are all that, they are true freshman. How good can you expect a freshman QB to be in this offense? Sure you can point to other freshman QBs who've had success (Chad Henne and Terrell Pryor). However, in those offenses, a strong running game (Beanie Wells and Mike Hart) protected them. In the Rich Rod offense, not only is the QB supposed to pass the ball, but he's also supposed to be one of the, if not THE, leading rusher for the team. That's putting a lot on a true freshman's shoulders.

You assume that a freshman will start at quarterback. I don't think that's a safe assumption. Threet has a year's experience at running the offense, and QBs improve a lot between their freshman and sophomore years. The froshes will certainly get lots of PT, and they may even get some starts in the latter half of the season, but I still predict Threet gets the bulk of the starts, barring injury.

At any rate, anybody starting at QB will most certainly be better than Nick Sheridan.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Wolverine quarterback Rick Leach gave these comments recently. http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081209/SPORT S0201/812090427

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Golden Hurricane received a verbal commitment from Shavodrick Beaver, who switched his allegiance from Michigan.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/spor ts/article.aspx?subjectid=94&a rticleid=20081219_94_0_Tlarci6 37090

El_jimbo

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch...I hope, for Michigan' sake, that Forcier is all that (unlike his older brother). Otherwise it's still the Steven Threet show...eek!

I just don't know what to make of Michigan's recruiting class this season or Michigan in general. There has been such a drastic turnover. Mass departures from the current roster and LOTS of decommits from their recruiting class. Michigan has had 3 QBs commit this year and 2 of them have later de-committed.

The other questionable thing about this year's class is the size. Where's the beef? Only 2 offensive linemen and 4 defensive linemen...and one of them (DT Pearlie Graves) is rumored to be another one looking at decommitting as well. With as bad as the offensive line was this year and how many guys lost on the defensive line, you would think that rebuilding there would be a major goal. However, judging by the numbers, that doesn't appear to be the case.

The other issue facing some of the recruits are eligiblity issues. Touissant and Gordon had some questionable grades earlier. I don't know if they've taken care of those issues, but if not that could effect whether or not they make it to Ann Arbor.

All I know is that if I were a Michigan fan, I would be concerned. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college teams. unbalanced classes lead to holes in your depth chart. Michigan's class is VERY unbalanced.

Also, Michigan had success for decades due to consistency and stability. Where did it go? It seems like every week there is a new transfer of someone on the team leaving or a new decommit where a kid who had previously said they were going to Michigan changes their mind. Add the bad record from last year and you have a situation where the uncertainty scares players away.

Just something to think about

Glowblue

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The other questionable thing about this year's class is the size. Where's the beef? Only 2 offensive linemen and 4 defensive linemen...and one of them (DT Pearlie Graves) is rumored to be another one looking at decommitting as well. With as bad as the offensive line was this year and how many guys lost on the defensive line, you would think that rebuilding there would be a major goal. However, judging by the numbers, that doesn't appear to be the case.

We signed six O-linemen last year, and they all redshirted.

_sj_

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue who were the six?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how did that fantastic line play last year? You need linemen and you need them bad. Plus, you need to plan ahead for the future. After the 2009 season Michigan loses 4 scholarship linemen and another 4 scholarship offensive linemen following the 2010 season.

That 2011 team will only have 2 senior offensive linemen, 6 juniors, and 2 sophomores. Those classes have to balanced better.

Also, add rumors that the mighty mite Cissoko is having academic troubles (how dumb do you have to be to flunk General Studies classes? You barely have to show up!). How soon before this becomes one more to add to the over 20 players lost to attrition since RichRod took the job?

Glowblue

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Glowblue who were the six?

Dann O'Neill, Ricky Barnum, Kurt Wermers, Elliott Mealer, Rocko Khoury, and Patrick Omameh. Like I said, they all redshirted.

_sj_

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue, thanks for the info. I couldn't find a recruiting list from 2007.

Glowblue

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1. Campbell's going to USC or Alabama. Sam Webb, the guy who pretends to be a recruiting journalist but really acts as an unofficial recruiter for the university of Michigan, is the only one who's convinced Campbell is still a Michigan lock.

2. Apparently LaLota is taking a second look at Penn State. I'm sure Penn State's Rose Bowl season compared to Michigan's Toilet Bowl season could be very convincing.

Campbell just (re)committed to M, and LaLota is enrolling early in Ann Arbor. Looks like we're bringing in a solid D-line class.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you watch the game today? You can have that clown. If all that Campbell is gonna do is flex and showboat during his announcement and run his mouth on the field then you can have him.

Glowblue

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yase, clearly a player's performance in an exhibition game is indicative of his performance in meaningful games (see: 2008 Detroit Lions).

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

did you watch the game today? You can have that clown. If all that Campbell is gonna do is flex and showboat during his announcement and run his mouth on the field then you can have him.

LOL! Oh yes--the D-line is a major recruiting problem and Campbell's going somewhere else. Sorry those grapes are so tart, Mr. Fox.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just asking if you watched the way he made a fool of himself at his little declaration press conference? All his flexing and posing. It's a close race to figure out which is bigger, him or his ego. It will be interesting to find out just how much a guy who has such a high opinion of himself will react to the cussing...I mean coaching style of RichRod and his staff.

Kenp

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This now gives us 5 D lineman of 4 stars and up.
Campbell is a fun loving guy, he likes to "play".

Roh looked good last night. We have a nice group coming in, I think most will red shirt with the exception of Campbell.
I dont know about LaLota, I cant believe we lost him to Penn State!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campbell could end up being a star player for you guys. Or he could end up being a bust. The one knock on him has been his attitude and work ethic. He has all the physical gifts in the world to be an outstanding player. He just needs a coaching staff that will get that out of him. That will be the test of RR's coaching ability.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dewayne Peace just decommitted. Plus it was announced yesterday that Butler and Horn are transferring.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Butler and Horn are transferring

Other than the penalty in the ND game, I don't know how Carson Butler played himself into the doghouse, but he was clearly done in Ann Arbor. He must be going to a D2 school, insofar as he's already had a redshirt season; otherwise I can't see how he'd have any eligibility left after sitting out a transfer year.
Avery Horn--I'm not sure how they'll be able to replace his one tackle, five kick-off returns in 7 games

Kenp

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butler had other issues. What amazed me was they had him playing d-line late in the year.
Peace wanted to play WR and RR told him he was going to be a corner.
It looks like we may lose DeQ. Jones now. Our d-line commits are very good, he might feel worried about that.
I suspect we will be adding quite a few more solid recruits on signing day.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New D-coordinator looks like a great hire. I hope this guy can right the ship and get the D back to where it ought to be. Frankly, he can't do much worse than last year...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090121/S PORTS0201/901210334/&imw=Y

El_jimbo

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, MIchigan on a highly ranked recruiting class. Michigan got a lot of talented players. However, they got decommits at spots where they could least afford it.

The question on everyone's mind will be, "where's the beef?!" Michigan has a LOT of skill position guys (QB, RB, WR, TE, DB, and ATH), but is going to be really thin on the lines and at LB.

Just look at the unbalance in the recruiting classes since Rodriguez got to town. In the past two years, Michigan has recruited:

3 QB (although Robinson will likely move to another position)
5 RB (not including Cox and McGuffie who are no longer with the team)
5 WR
2 TE
9 DB
8 OL
3 DE
2 DT
4 LB

That is a little light on offensive linemen, but VERY light in the defensive front seven. So, while on paper, Michigan's class looks very strong (and there's no denying there is talent), I would caution against calling this a great class (or classes if you count 2008) because there are some glaring holes in the depth chart forming.

Just a friendly reminder from a Spartan who saw some of the exact same things from JLS.

Kenp

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sucks that one of the DT's didnt stay but its no suprise.
You have to realize DB's in high school can become linebackers in college and so on and so on. Speed is what is desired, you can always build size, you cant build speed. Though I guess Barwis seems to differ we me on that one.
Dont be so sure about Robinson playing QB.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your biggest LB in the 2009 class weighs 209 lbs. Can he grow into a DE? Maybe, but he will be undersized. Your heaviest DB in this class weighs 200 lbs? Can he grow into an LB? Sure but once again he will be undersized.

Also, keep in mind that you lost TWO DTs today. Both Graves and Jones went elsewhere. How do you guys plan on stopping the run or rushing the passer without defensive linemen?

Kenp

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this are teenagers dude, of course they can gain a lot of weight. You didnt actually think either dt was going to contribute this year?
And also you make it sound like we werent trying to get them, hell they both had been committed for quite some time, and never even bothered to de-commit at all. Thats the way it goes.

_sj_

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robinson choose Michigan over Florida because Florida wanted him to play another position. I don't see him switching so easily.

Other than that I thought it was a good class, that rebounded quite nicely from 8 de-commits and picked some nice players at the last minute.

Glowblue

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just a friendly reminder from a Spartan who saw some of the exact same things from JLS.

JLS never had a top 10 class. He never even came close.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

I'm not saying they didn't try, however, it doesn't change the fact that there is a MAJOR depth issue coming down the line for Michigan due to these imbalanced classes. Let me put it this way. In the last 3 classes (Carr's last class and Rodriguez's first two classes) Michigan has brought in:

3 Defensive Tackles (1 per year avg)
4 Defensive Ends (1.33 per year avg)
7 Linebackers (2.33 per year avg)
12 Defensive Backs (4 per year avg)

There is no depth...ESPECIALLY at Defensive tackle. In the fall, Michigan will only have 4 scholarship DT's on their roster (Ferrara, Sagesse, Martin, and Campbell). If even one of those guys goes down with an injury (which happens over the course of a season), you have a walk-on in your two deeps. Guess what? last year you didn't have any walk-on defensive tackles on your roster.

Remember how over the past few months how I kept on pointing out the dangers of all those transfers leaving the program? Remember how you guys scoffed at it saying that those are guys "who will never see the field anyway"? Now do you see the value of those guys? Quality, experienced depth is VITAL to the success of a team over a season.

Mark my words. There will come a point sometime next year when you will think to yourself, "man I wish we still had Jason Kates to fill in a few reps for our banged up DTs".

El_jimbo

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue,

JLS had the #16 class in the country in 2004. That's pretty close.

We'll wait and see how this "top 10" class pans out. Sure there is top 10 talent in it, but like I said, it's not evenly distributed. If you arent' strong in the trenches then you aren't strong. That's just a universal rule of football.

Kenp

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo were planning on going to the 1-7 scheme.
One down lineman and 7 linebackers. So I dont see a problem.
Also Ferrara was converted to O-line last year, though that might be reversed.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boy...so you only have 3 scholarship defensive tackles? All joking aside, does this concern you in the slightest?

In recent years, subbing defensive linemen in and out to keep them fresh has become the standard in football and 2nd and even 3rd string defensive linemen see double digit numbers of snaps a game. Having only 3 defensive tackles does not even give you a full 2nd string.

As a college football fan, if I saw this on ANY team I would signal it as a major red flag.

Kenp

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to quote the man in EL
"it is what it is"
Also, the 1-7 scheme, didnt you at least think that was funny?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I did. Just picturing it in my mind is hilarious. What would you call that? I think I'd call it "Cover Fog"

Kenp

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cluster f..k

El_jimbo

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha...yep. Now you are onto EXACTLY what I was getting at.

_sj_

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor is Threet will announce his desire to transfer tomorrow. they are saying Pac10 or SEC. I would think he would drop a division or maybe return home so he doesn't have to lose a season of eligibility.

(Message edited by _sj_ on February 15, 2009)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The threat of Threet transferring to UT (University of Tomorrow) is welcome. Bye-bye.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to go out on a limb, based on what I've seen thus far I don't think RR is going to be successful at Michigan. The main reason I think this is I don't think the RR style of spread option will win constantly in the Big Ten must less being able to compete for national championships. You have other teams than run the spread but there are different versions that are not so QB dependent like the kind RR runs. Besides defenses, especially at the top teams in BCS conferences are adjusting quickly to that offense. RR also seems so full of himself I've doubt if he could make the necessary adjustments if his base offense wasn't working.

_sj_

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quarterback Steven Threet is transferring from the University of Michigan.

"He's leaving and he has no idea where he's going," Threet's father Jewel, said today.

http://freep.com/article/20090 215/BLOG14/90216001/U-M+s+Thre et+will+transfer

Kenp

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think he would have some options out there. Threet will only have 2 years left to play so he has to chose wisely. I think a MAC school would be a great choice.
Poor guy got into 2 bad situations now.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threet leaving in and of itself is not that big of a deal as he clearly did not fit into RR's long term plans anyway.

However, this does add one more name to the ever growing list of attrition since RR joined Michigan. In fact, Threet marks the 20th scholarship player to sign a letter of intent to play at Michigan who has left the program early since RR's arrival. On top of that, 8 players from the last recruiting class made verbal commitments to go to Michigan only to sign with another school at a later time.

This has left the overall depth of the team somewhat depleted as they currently have a roster using only 81 of the 85 total scholarships. That may not seem like much with just a casual glance, but when you think of how much depth from the starters all the way down to the scout team is so vital to a football team, having 4 less players of scholarship level talent is a BIG hole to fill.

Just to recap who are the people who once called themselves Wolverines who left early for various reasons.

Existing members of the UM fraternity:
1. Ryan Mallet 1/8/2008
2. Adrian Arrington 1/8/2008
3. Mario Manningham 1/8/2008
4. Grant DeBenedictus 1/??/2008
5. Brett Gallimore 1/??/2008
6. Jeremy Ciulla 3/25/2008
7. Alex Mitchell 3/25/2008
8. Justin Boren - 3/25/2008
9. Quinton Patilla - 6/4/2008
10. Marques Slocum - 7/17/2008
11. Taylor Hill - 9/3/2008
12. Marcus Witherspoon - 9/3/2008
13. Paul Bunyan - 10/25/2008 My Personal Favorite
14. Zion Babb - 11/18/2008
15. Jason Kates - 11/19/2008
16. Artis Chambers - 11/23/2008
17. Carson Butler - 12/6/2008
18. Avery Horn - 12/6/2008
19. Sam McGuffie - 12/12/2008
20. Scott Shafer - 12/16/2008
21. Steven Threet - 2/16/2009

Those committed to join the UM fraternity:
1. Kevin Newsome - 8/19/2008
2. Bryce McNeal - 10/14/2008
3. Anthony Fera - 10/21/2008
4. Jordan Barnes - 12/13/2008
5. Shavodrick Beaver - 12/19/2008
6. Dewayne Peace - 1/8/2009
7. Pearlie Graves - 2/4/2009
8. Dequinta Jones - 2/4/2009

Kenp

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Bunyon? Very clever

El_jimbo

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he does reside in East Lansing again.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Boy:

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090325/SPORTS06/90325110/?imw =Y

El_jimbo

Post Number: 982
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the WR Clemons is transferring as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.